Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
if you're going to convert a trailer for overlanding,this is what you need.https://youtu.be/DyuMjbZXoMwng
Links not working Rick.
Personally I want to purchase not convert….

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
At 600 ilbs. With a pressurized solar shower, a queen bed, space on the tongue for a 125 quart Yeti Tundra cooler and Timbren axel-less suspension, and mama willing to use it because the beds not 6’ in the air, it is my number one choice at present…..

5219C77E 880C 49EE 9551 01A7CE6AF1D2
7402BAFC 1A9A 4004 A1D9 D57E5F9DE22D
4CF4FC31 19D1 4178 942D 6A89348B75F2

Last edited:
Reactions: crewcabrob
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
At 600 ilbs. With a pressurized solar shower a queen bed, space on the tongue for a 125 quart Yeti Tundra cooler and Timbren axel-less suspension, and mama willing to use it because the beds not 6’ in the air, it is my number one choice at present…..

View attachment 294905View attachment 294906View attachment 294907
Glad I could help. I saw this about 2 months ago when trying to find the smallest light weight overlanding trailer I could find. This makes a lot of sense, if I could only get the weight down to the number I felt comfortable with.

They have a nice camp kitchen you can add to the front rack too. Did you see it?

Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
if you're going to convert a trailer for overlanding,this is what you need.https://youtu.be/DyuMjbZXoMwng
I copied the link into a new window and looked at the trailer. That is a beast! I'm guessing it has to be heavy if it is rated to haul 2,000ponds in it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Glad I could help. I saw this about 2 months ago when trying to find the smallest light weight overlanding trailer I could find. This makes a lot of sense, if I could only get the weight down to the number I felt comfortable with.

They have a nice camp kitchen you can add to the front rack too. Did you see it?

Rob
Yep I saw it, but don’t want the weight. We’re minimalists when overlanding. Glamping we do in the A Class motor home. A person could put aluminum wheels and 28” tires to eliminate more weight.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I copied the link into a new window and looked at the trailer. That is a beast! I'm guessing it has to be heavy if it is rated to haul 2,000ponds in it.
Can you link to it here?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Against my better judgement I'm going to comment.

First some background.
The story goes that when I was an infant my Dad took the family camping.
Mom would not sleep in a tent so Dad set up a sleeping bag in the back of the station wagon.
When Dad woke up in the morning he could hear somthing was up, apperently while it was still dark I woke up hungry and started to crying.
The baby bottles and formula where in the ice chest in the tent and Mom was too scarred of bears to get out of the car in the dark.
So Dad woke up to a wife and baby crying and realized right away that we were done camping.
As a child I have great memories of camping in a home made tent trailer set up to tow behind a Jeep Wagoneer and Mom was happy.
So I get that some time the obvious choice is not so simple.

The next obvious choice
If it's avalible, don't drag your house with you, rent it at the destination.
This doesn't work if your hanging out with @Montecresto on his version of overlanding - there is no hotel half way there.

Some 12 years ago I had a business trip to Utah.
One of the hotels we stayed at was along the Piute trail.
There where several ATVs staying there that night.
They rode the trails during the day up in the mountains and dropped down in to towns along the way at night.
Given the right trail system this seams like a good mode of operation and it could be cheaper than buying an overlanding trailer.
However I realize that this advice is probably wasted on most of the people participating in this thread.

Actual relevant to this topic stuff.
I would recomend to keep any trailer concepts simple.
Yes there are trailer suspensions designed for off road but how good are they?
Looking at the Boonie Stompper i would estimate it's going to have some teething problems.
The trailing arm IRS systems with a good track record are designed for axles weights well above what is indicated for a p500 trailer.
Way over build for what you are looking for.
And, if your not a chassis systems design expert I would not recomend trying to roll your own.
The last thing you want is to find out you made a small error in design while far from your truck (ie. In the middle of nowhere).

My recommendation would be to use a solid trailer axle with a 3k lb rating.
I would guess the loading for suspension off road would be ~ 3X the on road rating.
You can get the axle built to the width you want with a 4 on 4 stud pattern.
Use the leaf spring designed for that axle but remove leaves to match the weight .
(I have a flat bed trailer with a single taperd leaf, totaly high tech but inappropriate for this application)

I know some have dismissed solid axles in the thread but I belive that are simple and functional.
The ground clearance is only 1/2 the tire hight.
But a p500 on stock tires only has 8.5 inches of clearance, how much more do you need.
Also get a square or round pipe axle, not a U-channel or (heaven forbid) angle iron.
(This rules out a harbour freight special)

As for the trailer format, somthing like a small land scape trailer with a low roof top tent rack would work well.
You could use plastic totes to store gear (and be weather / dust proof).
And a few water / fuel cans could be placed over the axle.

This link shows the basic idea but a poor execution.
This guy used a harbour freight trailer as a basis and it failed on the trail.
Also, he was towing it with a power wheels...

This was a ton of fun to watch! and yes, it looks good and would be nice to build right.

Thanks for sharing the story! My wife is on board with trying the overlanding at least once, and to be honest I think she will love it. We all know the wives more than likely prefer to camp from a hotel on the beach...

Reactions: NTCPrezJB
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
One may consider too that if a trailer is too light, it could be bouncing all over the place and be it’s own problem…

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Here is the link you wanted to see:

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
This was a ton of fun to watch! and yes, it looks good and would be nice to build right.

Thanks for sharing the story! My wife is on board with trying the overlanding at least once, and to be honest I think she will love it. We all know the wives more than likely prefer to camp from a hotel on the beach...
If your wife enjoys camping and adventure to begin with, if you can provide a ride that gets her to a motel with shower and electricity every second or third night, she may well enjoy it. Mine enjoys this about as much as I do…..😎👍

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
One may consider too that if a trailer is too light, it could be bouncing all over the place and be it’s own problem…
True, but I doubt much bounce would happen with the right suspension and lets face it, the P520 has a max speed of 39. I know you guys said 30 was a comfortable cruising speed during the Rimrocker on good roads.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I found another one too.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Here is my friends setup. he just completed a overland from az, to mount Rushmore. i was supposed to join them in my talon but i got pneumonia.

Trailer rear
Trailer rear corner
Cooking
Trailer
Trailer1
Triler side2

Reactions: JenElio and trigger
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
While a little frumpy looking, it actually has Timbren or something similar under it based on blowing up one of the pictures for it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I found another one too.

It’s that ladder that mine won’t go for, up to the toilet twice or more a night. It looks too heavy compared to the Tentrax too. What suspension is under it?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
It’s that ladder that mine won’t go for, up to the toilet twice or more a night. It looks too heavy compared to the Tentrax too. What suspension is under it?
Are we talking about the same trailer? This is 400 pounds and only 48" wide?

From the website

"We noticed, in all of our creative trailer designs we did not provide an option for those who want to camp off the grid from their UTV or ATV, our result is an extremely lightweight, only 400 pound, cargo trailer with a 2 person rooftop tent. The Crawler uses ATV tires and is designed to track exactly behind the tow vehicle. At only 48” wide it will fit through the gates mounted to keep full size vehicles out. A fantastic addition to your ATV, the Crawler will haul all of your equipment deep in the woods and make it that much easier to haul your game out."

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Here is my friends setup. he just completed a overland from az, to mount Rushmore. i was supposed to join them in my talon but i got pneumonia.

View attachment 294914View attachment 294915View attachment 294916View attachment 294919View attachment 294920View attachment 294921
WOW!!!!! First, what a hell of a trek, how long did it take and what was the route???

What kind of suspension, how much does it weigh, is there sleeping in or on it?

Looks like he’s got beadlocks and probably same bolt pattern and tire size as his SXS…🤔

Sorry to hear you got pneumonia…was it Covid related?

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!