crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
SOB….😳😳😳
Did you see the prices on them things…..????
Yeah, that’s insane the money they want. It’s super cool, but maybe not $20k. I appreciate good engineering and materials, and I’m willing to pay for both, but I believe they are about $10k too expensive for me

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Kind of a bummer that all these small off road trailers are so new that there aren’t reviews yet….
Btw, have you found any dealers for these or does one have to go to Black Mountain NC to see one?

Last edited:
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Here is my take on the suspension. I like the Timbren suspension, but it doesn't seem to move much. And with the 2,000 pound version they use, doubtful it will flex that much. Timbren makes a 1,200 pound version that I think would be better for the application we want. Who is going to put 1,400 pounds of gear on or in this little trailer?

What I don't like is the fact that you have to start with 31" tires. No doubt they are heavier than we need and of course weight is the enemy here with the SXS. If you can get a smaller diameter tire to match closer to your Talon, you could cut weight and increase the room in the wheel well of the trailer.

Most manufacturers can find a local dealer or customer so you could see one in person. You will find working with a dealer there is negotiation. Or at least there used be prior to COVID. You could also check the RV lots near you. They get trades and you might lucky and find one to look at. No doubt, you will not find one with all the options you want and have to order.

I still see nothing about the width...

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Here is my take on the suspension. I like the Timbren suspension, but it doesn't seem to move much. And with the 2,000 pound version they use, doubtful it will flex that much. Timbren makes a 1,200 pound version that I think would be better for the application we want. Who is going to put 1,400 pounds of gear on or in this little trailer?

What I don't like is the fact that you have to start with 31" tires. No doubt they are heavier than we need and of course weight is the enemy here with the SXS. If you can get a smaller diameter tire to match closer to your Talon, you could cut weight and increase the room in the wheel well of the trailer.

Most manufacturers can find a local dealer or customer so you could see one in person. You will find working with a dealer there is negotiation. Or at least there used be prior to COVID. You could also check the RV lots near you. They get trades and you might lucky and find one to look at. No doubt, you will not find one with all the options you want and have to order.

I still see nothing about the width...
For me with the Talon, I’m fine with the 31’s. That’s the same as mine. And for the weight, I can do this trailer under the weight of the tear drop and gear I was pulling. Just not sure about the suspension. Btw, do you know what the standard suspension is without the Timbren upgrade???

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
For me with the Talon, I’m fine with the 31’s. That’s the same as mine. And for the weight, I can do this trailer under the weight of the tear drop and gear I was pulling. Just not sure about the suspension. Btw, do you know what the standard suspension is without the Timbren upgrade???
Looks like they list this: - 1,800lb Dexter Torflex axle

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I'm out on the weight. 500 pounds and I might be in. The rear bumper made out of steel, the big tires and no doubt the extra tongue length add weight that I wouldn't need. I might be able to cut 50 pounds off, but I think, for me, the trail stomper might be better.

As far as the dimensions, I can only find the bed width of 48"

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I'm out on the weight. 500 pounds and I might be in. The rear bumper made out of steel, the big tires and no doubt the extra tongue length add weight that I wouldn't need. I might be able to cut 50 pounds off, but I think, for me, the trail stomper might be better.

As far as the dimensions, I can only find the bed width of 48"
You do need the tongue length or you have to have an extension on your receiver…

But yeah, 500 lbs is a good limit for you. That trailer that @Wallace posted is right but it’s got standard leaf spring suspension. I suppose one could always replace it…..🤔

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
That is interesting!!! Not sure how it would do on rough trails. I guess a rooftop type tent could be added to it….

Id like to go to a show like that….😎

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Another option…..

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
IK looked at the HEO, fits the bill on a lot of things. But I'm afraid it may get torn apart on trails and bad roads. The weight is really low, which would help.

I've been watching a lot of the Overlanding Expo footage from the last few years to see what people are doing.

Rob

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Against my better judgement I'm going to comment.

First some background.
The story goes that when I was an infant my Dad took the family camping.
Mom would not sleep in a tent so Dad set up a sleeping bag in the back of the station wagon.
When Dad woke up in the morning he could hear somthing was up, apperently while it was still dark I woke up hungry and started to crying.
The baby bottles and formula where in the ice chest in the tent and Mom was too scarred of bears to get out of the car in the dark.
So Dad woke up to a wife and baby crying and realized right away that we were done camping.
As a child I have great memories of camping in a home made tent trailer set up to tow behind a Jeep Wagoneer and Mom was happy.
So I get that some time the obvious choice is not so simple.

The next obvious choice
If it's avalible, don't drag your house with you, rent it at the destination.
This doesn't work if your hanging out with @Montecresto on his version of overlanding - there is no hotel half way there.

Some 12 years ago I had a business trip to Utah.
One of the hotels we stayed at was along the Piute trail.
There where several ATVs staying there that night.
They rode the trails during the day up in the mountains and dropped down in to towns along the way at night.
Given the right trail system this seams like a good mode of operation and it could be cheaper than buying an overlanding trailer.
However I realize that this advice is probably wasted on most of the people participating in this thread.

Actual relevant to this topic stuff.
I would recomend to keep any trailer concepts simple.
Yes there are trailer suspensions designed for off road but how good are they?
Looking at the Boonie Stompper i would estimate it's going to have some teething problems.
The trailing arm IRS systems with a good track record are designed for axles weights well above what is indicated for a p500 trailer.
Way over build for what you are looking for.
And, if your not a chassis systems design expert I would not recomend trying to roll your own.
The last thing you want is to find out you made a small error in design while far from your truck (ie. In the middle of nowhere).

My recommendation would be to use a solid trailer axle with a 3k lb rating.
I would guess the loading for suspension off road would be ~ 3X the on road rating.
You can get the axle built to the width you want with a 4 on 4 stud pattern.
Use the leaf spring designed for that axle but remove leaves to match the weight .
(I have a flat bed trailer with a single taperd leaf, totaly high tech but inappropriate for this application)

I know some have dismissed solid axles in the thread but I belive that are simple and functional.
The ground clearance is only 1/2 the tire hight.
But a p500 on stock tires only has 8.5 inches of clearance, how much more do you need.
Also get a square or round pipe axle, not a U-channel or (heaven forbid) angle iron.
(This rules out a harbour freight special)

As for the trailer format, somthing like a small land scape trailer with a low roof top tent rack would work well.
You could use plastic totes to store gear (and be weather / dust proof).
And a few water / fuel cans could be placed over the axle.

This link shows the basic idea but a poor execution.
This guy used a harbour freight trailer as a basis and it failed on the trail.
Also, he was towing it with a power wheels...

Reactions: crewcabrob
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This link shows the basic idea but a poor execution.
This guy used a harbour freight trailer as a basis and it failed on the trail.
Also, he was towing it with a power wheels...
It looks good though….😎

R

rickoshea

if you're going to convert a trailer for overlanding,this is what you need.https://youtu.be/DyuMjbZXoMwng

Reactions: crewcabrob

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!