Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Are we talking about the same trailer? This is 400 pounds and only 48" wide?

From the website

"We noticed, in all of our creative trailer designs we did not provide an option for those who want to camp off the grid from their UTV or ATV, our result is an extremely lightweight, only 400 pound, cargo trailer with a 2 person rooftop tent. The Crawler uses ATV tires and is designed to track exactly behind the tow vehicle. At only 48” wide it will fit through the gates mounted to keep full size vehicles out. A fantastic addition to your ATV, the Crawler will haul all of your equipment deep in the woods and make it that much easier to haul your game out."
Sorry, I meant to say it looks too top heavy compared to the Tentrax which has a very low COG….

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
WOW!!!!! First, what a hell of a trek, how long did it take and what was the route???

What kind of suspension, how much does it weigh, is there sleeping in or on it?

Looks like he’s got beadlocks and probably same bolt pattern and tire size as his SXS…🤔

Sorry to hear you got pneumonia…was it Covid related?
they were on the road for 15 days. just over 2K miles. i cant post the route, all offroad except for fuel and hotel every 3rd night.
sleeping was a tent on the ground.
basic leaf. yes adapters for same bolt pattern. only one spare tire needed to be carried.
not sure the weight, but it sure wasn't much empty. all aluminum frame.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
they were on the road for 15 days. just over 2K miles. i cant post the route, all offroad except for fuel and hotel every 3rd night.
sleeping was a tent on the ground.
basic leaf. yes adapters for same bolt pattern. only one spare tire needed to be carried.
not sure the weight, but it sure wasn't much empty. all aluminum frame.
Well, that’s the coolest thing I’ve ever heard done!!! Is the route secret, or you just don’t know it. It can’t be easy to get from Phoenix to Rapid City staying all off road and still hitting a motel every 3rd night….😎

My hats off to your friend!!!!!!👍

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
Well, that’s the coolest thing I’ve ever heard done!!! Is the route secret, or you just don’t know it. It can’t be easy to get from Phoenix to Rapid City staying all off road and still hitting a motel every 3rd night….😎

My hats off to your friend!!!!!!👍
After the hours and hours I spent on gaia maps planning the route, I think it's best not published. some of it uses the Great western trail but most of it does not. some the route had to be rerouted last minute because of closed roads or some other reason.
Next year we are doing AZ to glacier national park.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
After the hours and hours I spent on gaia maps planning the route, I think it's best not published. some of it uses the Great western trail but most of it does not. some the route had to be rerouted last minute because of closed roads or some other reason.
Next year we are doing AZ to glacier national park.
I see!
That’s cool. Are you going to open it to the forum? Probably not many that have that kind of time….

SickSecBeamer

SickSecBeamer

Oct 13, 2017
Jax,Fl
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The only thing I’d say is make it where you use the same tires and rim as your SxS then you can have spares if needed for. Worst case scenario

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
The only thing I’d say is make it where you use the same tires and rim as your SxS then you can have spares if needed for. Worst case scenario

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, trying hard to make that happen

Reactions: Smitty335
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep, trying hard to make that happen
Have you been reading any reviews on the Timbren axel-less suspension? Off-road.com has a very lack luster review of them, mainly due to minimal travel. If you’ve ever been on the portion of the Rimrocker that goes around the south end of the La Sals, long travel is essential, as I’ve encountered on most overlanding trips. That’s discouraging because Tentrax only offers Timbren and Dexter torsion…..

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Have you been reading any reviews on the Timbren axel-less suspension? Off-road.com has a very lack luster review of them, mainly due to minimal travel. If you’ve ever been on the portion of the Rimrocker that goes around the south end of the La Sals, long travel is essential, as I’ve encountered on most overlanding trips. That’s discouraging because Tentrax only offers Timbren and Dexter torsion…..
I haven't read any reviews yet, and that is unfortunate if people say that it isn't great. Now I have to rethink the entire plan. I was kind of centering my build around the Timbren 1,200 pound axles. I guess in the end, it still moves more than a solid axle bolted to a frame.

So I'm sure that it elevates the Booney Stomper and the Trail Stomper on your short list..

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This was my thought using the factory front or rear shocks from my pioneer for the set up. Timbren has a 2500lb set of spindles and hubs that use a 7" drum brake assy. Using 095 dom tube for the frame wherever possible was my plan to keep it light. Im hoping to make it a winter project. Ive got some hillbilly hand drawn plans ill post when i find them. Lots of info on bigger trailers out there i just wanted to scale it down to 63 or 64". I want to be able to put the smittybilt roof top tent on top of it while keeping it as low as possible but allowing me to put a cooler and some other camp supplys under it in the trailer. 7-800lbs would be my max weight pulling it with a p1k

Images

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
So I'm sure that it elevates the Booney Stomper and the Trail Stomper on your short list..
Yep! However, Tentrax did say in their last email that they do offer a suspension with more travel if I’m interested. Of course I told them to show me what they’ve got. I will say this, take a look at the suspension on the Boony Stomper, no one else has anything like it. Watch their videos with it in action. I’m just concerned about the 68” width and the fact that it’s plywood wall construction like my present tear drop…. I’m talking to them about that now…

Reactions: lowranger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This was my thought using the factory front or rear shocks from my pioneer for the set up. Timbren has a 2500lb set of spindles and hubs that use a 7" drum brake assy. Using 095 dom tube for the frame wherever possible was my plan to keep it light. Im hoping to make it a winter project. Ive got some hillbilly hand drawn plans ill post when i find them. Lots of info on bigger trailers out there i just wanted to scale it down to 63 or 64". I want to be able to put the smittybilt roof top tent on top of it while keeping it as low as possible but allowing me to put a cooler and some other camp supplys under it in the trailer. 7-800lbs would be my max weight pulling it with a p1k

View attachment 294990
I’ll be looking forward to seeing what you come up with…👍

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Have you been able to find any details and close pics of the suspension on the Trail Stomper and videos of it being pulled over rough terrain?

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520

Same trailer, just with the smaller wheel and tires and no box

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Same trailer, just with the smaller wheel and tires and no box
I don’t see how one can split the difference of tugging the trailer down the highway, and still having it survive a trail or vice versa.

no matter what you have to make a sacrifice somewhere…or you have to trailer the whole mess on another trailer which seems less than cost effective and extremely silly.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!