Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sounds like a home run to me. Less weight, more amenities and more generous accommodations. Its only money, right?
Haha, well only IF the long travel suspension with coil springs and shocks provides the protection necessary to keep the in between walls and interior safe from the elements…🤞

Reactions: crewcabrob
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Sounds like a home run to me. Less weight, more amenities and more generous accommodations. Its only money, right?
What’s really a pleasant surprise is that the manufacturer told me he’d have it built and ready for me to pick up next Friday…..😳

Though I can’t make it out to Reno that quick….😂

Reactions: crewcabrob
crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
What’s really a pleasant surprise is that the manufacturer told me he’d have it built and ready for me to pick up next Friday…..😳

Though I can’t make it out to Reno that quick….😂
That’s awesome! I would have never guessed that you could get one built that fast. Most stuff is taking way longer. Super excited to see the finished product and to hear your impressions of it. I’m sure you will tell me it the “best one”.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’m sure you will tell me it the “best one”.
Well, I did my best to get the owner of Tentrax to put a long travel suspension on one of his for me, had he been willing to, I would have lobbied harder with my wife for that one just because I really believe that it’s compact size would make it an easier haul. And it and the talon would fit on the 20’ knee ramp trailer I already have. As it is, I’ll have to buy a new haul trailer…

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi All,

Reviving my old discussion to get opinions on actually trailering behind a P500/P520. For those of you that have actually pulled a loaded trailer, how did it go?

I recently pulled my neighbors trailer out of my ravine and down to his property. It's not miles or anything, but the trailer weighed 1,600 pounds and the soft steep soil was a challenge. Throw in some stumps and downed logs, and I had to keep her moving in first gear to "git-er-done"

Rob

LilRedDonkey

LilRedDonkey

Feb 25, 2021
cheesyland
Ownership

1. 500
Hi All,

Reviving my old discussion to get opinions on actually trailering behind a P500/P520. For those of you that have actually pulled a loaded trailer, how did it go?

I recently pulled my neighbors trailer out of my ravine and down to his property. It's not miles or anything, but the trailer weighed 1,600 pounds and the soft steep soil was a challenge. Throw in some stumps and downed logs, and I had to keep her moving in first gear to "git-er-done"

Rob
you'll get good at replacing clutches.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
you'll get good at replacing clutches.
Great…. I assume that I will likely stress some components. How fragile is the clutch on a Pioneer 500/520? Have lots of people posted about them?

I’m trying hard to keep weight down, But I also assume plowing will add as much stress as towing. Lots of people plow with the P500/520.

if the max tow rating is 1,000 pounds, and I try to leave a good safety margin at 50-60% of max load, shouldn’t that be good?

Rob

Reactions: Montecresto
G

Gunsite Guy

Apr 19, 2021
Trinidad, Co
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Fellow posters,

I cannot begin to keep up with some threads and this is one of them. However I thought, at this late day into this posting, that I should bring up the Jumping Jack Tent trailer manufactured in Utah, Provo I think. I bought one of the initial ones 15 years ago or so. It was towed behind my 1/2 ton truck with a Polaris ranger riding on the top. The Ranger could tow it just fine once in the back country. It was an extremely well made piece of Kit. Rode out some bodacious Wyoming storms in one.

My best friend and his wife talked me out of it about the time I moved to large more luxury Toy Haulers. Anyhow, Jumping Jack came out with a smaller model, ideal for our Hondas. Might be worth a look for those looking for some thing more ideal for our Lady companions. Good luck, as anybody's Google fu is likely better than mine.

s/f Steve

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Fellow posters,

I cannot begin to keep up with some threads and this is one of them. However I thought, at this late day into this posting, that I should bring up the Jumping Jack Tent trailer manufactured in Utah, Provo I think. I bought one of the initial ones 15 years ago or so. It was towed behind my 1/2 ton truck with a Polaris ranger riding on the top. The Ranger could tow it just fine once in the back country. It was an extremely well made piece of Kit. Rode out some bodacious Wyoming storms in one.

My best friend and his wife talked me out of it about the time I moved to large more luxury Toy Haulers. Anyhow, Jumping Jack came out with a smaller model, ideal for our Hondas. Might be worth a look for those looking for some thing more ideal for our Lady companions. Good luck, as anybody's Google fu is likely better than mine.

s/f Steve
I will go take a peak.

thanks,

Rob

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Thank you for the suggestion to look at Jumping Jack. It's not quite what I'm looking for, but I bet it will fit the bill for someone here.

For all of you that want to look, here is a link:

Rob

Reactions: Gunsite Guy
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thank you for the suggestion to look at Jumping Jack. It's not quite what I'm looking for, but I bet it will fit the bill for someone here.

For all of you that want to look, here is a link:

Rob
Looks heavy for a SXS and lacking good off road suspension….🤔

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
We tent camped and raised two boys up from infants while tenting both in the South and here in Utah in all kinds of weather over the last 40+ years. Backpack gear in our P500 and an electric bear(critter) fence and still have room for clothes, food, and a fav beverage. Any trailer will limit the entire group to YOUR Rig's capabilities. A loaded P500 is Waaaay more capable than one with any type of trailer. Just watch any overlanding video on You Tube where only one vehicle pulls a trailer and you will see the truth in my statement. I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade but feel it needed to be said.

WB

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
We tent camped and raised two boys up from infants while tenting both in the South and here in Utah in all kinds of weather over the last 40+ years. Backpack gear in our P500 and an electric bear(critter) fence and still have room for clothes, food, and a fav beverage. Any trailer will limit the entire group to YOUR Rig's capabilities. A loaded P500 is Waaaay more capable than one with any type of trailer. Just watch any overlanding video on You Tube where only one vehicle pulls a trailer and you will see the truth in my statement. I don't mean to rain on anybody's parade but feel it needed to be said.

WB
We just came off a group overlanding trip, 10 SXS’s with one trailer and didn’t have that problem…Now the trailer was pulled by a Talon, not sure the same would be the case with a P5….🤔

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520

WB
Hi,

Yep, I assume that this will only be possible on certain trails and not every trip will I be able to do this. I do agree that there is a good possibility that this will make me slower than the rest of the group.

Until I can get something tested, I won't know the extent of how much this will slow me down. In the end, this might be the deciding factor between getting to go on the group rides and not going.

I in no way want to be the weakest link in the party, but I would sure like a chance to participate. I want to go into this with realistic expectations, so that is why I am going to get some testing out of the way prior to a full commitment on doing a group ride with a trailer in tow.

Thanks,

Rob

Reactions: LilRedDonkey

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!