P1000 P1000 clutch change question

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hey yall! Im gonna be changing out the wifes clutches on her 2018 P1000-5 this weekend. The last time the dealer changed them and screwed me out of $1339. This time Im changing them. I think only one is bad, but Im gonna change them both and have a spare on the shelf for the future. I had a quick question though for people who have done it: Should I soak the clutch baskets in the Honda oil to let oil soak into the clutch basket a few days beforehand? This is a trick I was taught by my Dad when I was a kid when changing out clutch discs in my various 3 wheelers, dirtbikes, and 4 wheelers I had growing up. Im assuming the oil in the crankcase gets inside the clutch packs on the P1000 and gets between discs, but Im not 100%. Thanks for any input!! Yall be safe out there!

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I is highly recommended to pre soak the clutches. I did on mine and didn't have any problems. You will also need to drain the engine oil.

Hardest part was getting to line up putting them back in. It took me several tries.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

H

HondaTech

I just put them in a pan of new oil before reassembly. Their going to get covered when started. As long as their not dry they'll be fine.

Leave the outer clutch apart, it makes assembly easier. Put the clutch center hub in the stack the plates. Way easier that way.

Pilotadam

Pilotadam

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2019
Pell City, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine was high reving before it would shift, and it felt like it would not take off. My 1st,3rd, 5th were gone.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Not sure, we messed our up cutting down some trees. Driver error giving it gas and the tires were not turning. Burnt up the 1st gear clutch.

It's refreshing to see an honest man own his mistake. Thank you.

This is helpful information for all owners to realize what happens when the DCT is power-stalled and the buggy cannot move.

advertisement
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Soak 'em in Crunk Juice and you'll never have another issue 😜
I think Crunk Juice played a part in burning them up. She knows better than to keep giving it gas trying to get it to move if the thick mud has suction on the tires and the tires aint spinning. She went riding with her girlfriends while I stayed home and worked on the houseboat. She came home later that night and "Surprise! My clutches are burned up again!" I really hate this machine.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
RPMs revving as it changes gears. It changes from odd to even gears fine, but changing from even to odd gears the RPMs rev before it changes. Same as the first time.
I'm not a mechanic and have never worked on mine but that symptom suggests the clutch for the gear set containing 1-3-5 is slipping on engagement. Does it also slip on start up from a full stop?

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I'm not a mechanic and have never worked on mine but that symptom suggests the clutch for the gear set containing 1-3-5 is slipping on engagement. Does it also slip on start up from a full stop?
Yep. Thats the same thing I figured. Exact same symptoms as last time. I think one clutch should be good and the other bad. I plan on changing them both out and keeping the good one as a spare.

Reactions: Lady01
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I agree with your thinking. It make sense to replace both while you're in it.

Is it a reasonable do-it-yourself project?

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I agree with your thinking. It make sense to replace both while you're in it.

Is it a reasonable do-it-yourself project?
My buddy replaced his on his P1000 a few years ago and he said the hardest part about it was pulling the rear floor pan, dropping the skid plate, and pressure cleaning all around the back of the engine. He said the clutch change out was simple. He said he did it in like 3 1/2 hours. He didnt pull the bed. I decided to pull the bed. I took it off Monday after work and it was a pain in the ass. I started pulling the rear floor pan Tuesday after work. Got the rear pan completely out today after work and I pressure washed all around the back of the engine. Gonna drop the skid Thursday after work and probably get on the underneath side with the pressure washer. Then I plan on draining the oil and filters Thursday night. I will get to taking everything apart probably Friday because its my day off or maybe Saturday.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My buddy replaced his on his P1000 a few years ago and he said the hardest part about it was pulling the rear floor pan, dropping the skid plate, and pressure cleaning all around the back of the engine. He said the clutch change out was simple. He said he did it in like 3 1/2 hours. He didnt pull the bed. I decided to pull the bed. I took it off Monday after work and it was a pain in the ass. I started pulling the rear floor pan Tuesday after work. Got the rear pan completely out today after work and I pressure washed all around the back of the engine. Gonna drop the skid Thursday after work and probably get on the underneath side with the pressure washer. Then I plan on draining the oil and filters Thursday night. I will get to taking everything apart probably Friday because its my day off or maybe Saturday.
I think @CumminsPusher did a write up on this. Mine has had a slight rev between gears since day one off the showroom floor.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!