1000 or 800 XT. Is my understanding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Reactions: CumminsPusher
G

gokorn1

Apr 20, 2015
1000 or 800 XT. Is my understanding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Thanks, I was trying to match part numbers on the Fiche but I think its more about the bushing size. Guess ill keep looking

Duddly

Duddly

Jan 27, 2017
Eldred, New York
Ownership

1. 700-4
e7196e1f025cab955587da976a8328c5.jpg

How do I tell the front from the rear? Came off a Commander.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The fronts are stamped 706200782 with the adjustment stop higher up on the body. Looking at the pic it should be the set on the right. The rears are 706000615. Looks like you have a good find there.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Duddly

Duddly

Jan 27, 2017
Eldred, New York
Ownership

1. 700-4
The fronts are stamped 706200782 with the adjustment stop higher up on the body. Looking at the pic it should be the set on the right. The rears are 706000615. Looks like you have a good find there.
Thanks for the info! I picked them up for $125..

Last edited:
Reactions: Tramguage1
G

gokorn1

Apr 20, 2015

You 100% sure on those part numbers working?

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One side not is this is only for the shock bodies and bushings. It does not include the springs and retainers, which add up in a hurry if you are wanting to make a brand new set.

Upload 2017 3 29 7 48 34

G

gokorn1

Apr 20, 2015
One side not is this is only for the shock bodies and bushings. It does not include the springs and retainers, which add up in a hurry if you are wanting to make a brand new set.

View attachment 39160

I found the same part numbers further back in this thread too. Meeting the guy tonight.
Taken off at 100 miles asking $200 for all 4

Reactions: Tramguage1
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That sounds like a very good deal. Let us know how they turn out.

G

green02crew

Jan 12, 2015
Just wanted to give an update. I experimented a little with the stock commander front springs and the preload settings. I found preload on the highest setting keeps the shocks at nearly full extension. These springs are probably as heavy a spring as you would want to get to retain a smooth ride unless you have significantly more weight on the front end than even I do. I think our front ends are lighter than those of the commander. I still am at a loss how Honda and fox get those high spring rates on the front, something doesn't seem right with their numbers.

My highlifter rear springs have been great and I think are the perfect spring rate to retain a smooth factory ride and when carrying a heavy load you don't need to turn up the preload unlike the factory springs.

I removed the bump stops and have seen no wear on the shock body due to it.

I'm still looking forward to someone getting fox commander shocks on one of these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ratchetdan

Ratchetdan

Apr 14, 2017
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
The 2056 bushings are 0.96" OD and 0.562" ID so they're more like 15/16" and 9/16"..

@tjoreo I do appreciate you offering me the bushings or sleeves but I have both on order. Spent more on precision tubing than I wanted, ordered from mcmaster carr and it doesn't give the shipping cost until after the purchase.. well turns out it costs $15 to ship a $14 piece of steel. Granted, it is 1m long, so if anyone else ends up needing the sleeve I should have plenty extra.

Hey @eastenn, do you have any of your tubing left? I could use a piece for the rears... I can PayPal you for the tubing (cut into smaller sections preferred-for shipping) and shipping up to Alaska...

Ratchetdan

Ratchetdan

Apr 14, 2017
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
What kind of spring compressors are you all using? I rented a kit from Auto Zone but they're a little too big for the springs and I'm afraid they'll pop off.

I bought a set of those from AutoZone (about $50) for McPherson struts... used them on one stock front shock and destroyed the body! I was adding 5/8" spacers which worked great by the way... anyway, I ended up 'modifying' the set by cutting off the ears left and right of center of the clamps on a metal band saw only leaving about the middle third of material. Worked awesome after that! BUT! With any modification to a 'special' tool, BE CAREFUL!!! Point that spring in a safe direction in case it lets go!

eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey @eastenn, do you have any of your tubing left? I could use a piece for the rears... I can PayPal you for the tubing (cut into smaller sections preferred-for shipping) and shipping up to Alaska...

Hey sorry for the terribly slow response, I hadn't been on here. I do still have some, it's the 15mm OD so you would have to drill out the bushings some. Let me know if you're interested in it.

eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
Just wanted to give an update. I experimented a little with the stock commander front springs and the preload settings. I found preload on the highest setting keeps the shocks at nearly full extension. These springs are probably as heavy a spring as you would want to get to retain a smooth ride unless you have significantly more weight on the front end than even I do. I think our front ends are lighter than those of the commander. I still am at a loss how Honda and fox get those high spring rates on the front, something doesn't seem right with their numbers.

My highlifter rear springs have been great and I think are the perfect spring rate to retain a smooth factory ride and when carrying a heavy load you don't need to turn up the preload unlike the factory springs.

I removed the bump stops and have seen no wear on the shock body due to it.

I'm still looking forward to someone getting fox commander shocks on one of these!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for figuring out this idea, it is definitely an improvement over stock. I agree though, they are stiff. I run them on the lowest pre-load setting and they're still a little too stiff. I would like to drop down one or two spring sizes and I think they would be just right for me.

Ratchetdan

Ratchetdan

Apr 14, 2017
Alaska
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hey sorry for the terribly slow response, I hadn't been on here. I do still have some, it's the 15mm OD so you would have to drill out the bushings some. Let me know if you're interested in it.

@eastenn, ehhh, my deal for shocks with a guy up,here fell thru... I'm getting ready for a move in the next few months down to Florida so I'll prolly wait till I get down there and then find another set... thanks for responding though...

JailCop

JailCop

May 2, 2017
Northern NY
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I got my commander shocks put on tonight. I got a set from a 2012 Commander XT 1000. I found them by browsing craigslist, when I'd see a newer model Commander XT with aftermarket shocks, I replied asking if they still had the stock shocks, I scored and found a set of 4 with the black springs.

Ordered the bushings and British metal tube from ebay, then came across a good deal on a set of red springs from a commander, so I scooped them up as well. Only issue we ran into was the British metal tubing, I had to ream it out a little with a drill bit to make the Honda bolts go in. Might be a change in bolt size on the 2017's?

Front install was a breeze, I did that myself before my buddy got here. Rears were tougher, had to disconnect the sway links, and we used ratchet straps to compress the spring to get the whole shock in, but once we figured that out, the other side went in much easier.

We took a quick ride and it seems like a better ride, but we're going on a poker run Saturday so that'll be the real judge of ride quality. I forgot to measure before, but there's definitely a slight lift. Overall, looks like money and time well spent! Thanks to all the starters of this thread that did the research and testing to make this easier for the rest of us!

Shocks1
Shocks2
Shocks3

eastenn

eastenn

Dec 18, 2016
Bristol TN
www.fb.com
Ownership

1. 700-4
So I got my commander shocks put on tonight. I got a set from a 2012 Commander XT 1000. I found them by browsing craigslist, when I'd see a newer model Commander XT with aftermarket shocks, I replied asking if they still had the stock shocks, I scored and found a set of 4 with the black springs.

Ordered the bushings and British metal tube from ebay, then came across a good deal on a set of red springs from a commander, so I scooped them up as well. Only issue we ran into was the British metal tubing, I had to ream it out a little with a drill bit to make the Honda bolts go in. Might be a change in bolt size on the 2017's?

Front install was a breeze, I did that myself before my buddy got here. Rears were tougher, had to disconnect the sway links, and we used ratchet straps to compress the spring to get the whole shock in, but once we figured that out, the other side went in much easier.

We took a quick ride and it seems like a better ride, but we're going on a poker run Saturday so that'll be the real judge of ride quality. I forgot to measure before, but there's definitely a slight lift. Overall, looks like money and time well spent! Thanks to all the starters of this thread that did the research and testing to make this easier for the rest of us!

View attachment 45126 View attachment 45127 View attachment 45128

Nice work! Are the different colored springs all the same weight? How much would you want for the black ones?

Ems-Cam

Ems-Cam

Lifetime Member
May 22, 2016
Alberta
Ownership

1. 700-4

View attachment 45126 View attachment 45127 View attachment 45128
Red on red looks sharp!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!