BOX1

P1000 POSSIBLE CLUTCH RECALL - IMPROVED CLUTCH REPLACEMENT MAY BE ON THE HORIZON

MAINEYAK

MAINEYAK

Sep 19, 2016
Maine
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have received some great news from my local dealer here in Maine. After half-burning my R,1,3,5 clutch and experiencing high revs while slowly crawling through rough terrain in a tight woods trail on Thursday night, I spoke to Honda on Friday about getting my 1000-3 fixed. They initially told me they had one other customer that had the same problem, and told me not to worry, they would order the part (the clutch pack) and call me when it is in, and instructed me to drive it like I normally would in the meantime. The weekend has passed, which halfway through a 60 mile ride on Saturday, the transmission seemed to adjust itself and it stopped revving and hesitating between shifts and takeoff. However, when coming to a stop, I was now unable to shift back to Park without first turning the machine off. It is quite difficult to shift between modes at a stop at this point, which seems to be a side-effect of the transmission self-adjusting the clutch engagement. Pretty strange to be out riding and it seems to just auto-fix itself, lol.

Anyway, I just spoke to the dealership again this morning, to find out the parts ETA, and to explain my new transmission issue. They now have new information about a recall coming out which addresses this whole issue. I was told that the parts may not be available for 3 or 4 weeks at this point, but it affects all these transmissions, whether you've had a clutch issue or not. He explained that Honda has been quite aware of the issue, and has developed updated clutch packs that have not failed after extensive testing. I have no reason to believe this service writer is just blowing smoke up my ass, but at first it did seem too good to be true. Apparently this new recall clutch is much stronger and is 'the fix' to all our existing clutch problems.

I'm only repeating exactly what my Honda dealer told me, and I'm hoping this is 100% accurate. Some of you may want to contact your local dealer to confirm what I've been told. If this is fact, then this could put many of our minds at ease, as it did mine this morning. God I love being the bearer of great news! I'll update this thread as I find more information. I'm currently waiting to schedule my machine for repair once the new parts are available. Happy trails everyone!

tundraman

tundraman

Oct 26, 2015
I have held on to my 700 until they fix the heat and clutch problem. Then I may trade up. My 700 has no problems so I don't want to pay more money for one that does.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
this is interesting, thanks for sharing. I was hoping that the fix would be a second reverse gear that could be used in "low" like all other vehicles that have transfer cases. I guess that would be a significant change though. I also hope this is true, that could be a great thing.

H

HondaTech

Just checked my dealer services website, clutches are on BO until the 17th of October, not a show stopper ETA at this point in time. I don't have any info on a recall, nor has there been any mention of it to me from any source at Honda. But then again it could happen.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
@HondaTech they just came off back order last Tuesday are they for sure back on?? Do they just release a few at a time then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Wow. That is a surprising amount of backorders this far into the model year.

Hopefully this isn't a rumor.

If Honda/owners are having to replace that many clutch packs, it probably isn't.

Reactions: pct
MAINEYAK

MAINEYAK

Sep 19, 2016
Maine
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm not sure of the backorder as far as the same stock clutch goes, however, I was told that the upgraded clutch for the recall isn't yet available, but should be within 3-4 weeks. Who knows, maybe they'll discontinue production of the stock replacement clutches once the upgraded recall part is available. Again, I'll try to update this thread as I hear more.

Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm not sure of the backorder as far as the same stock clutch goes, however, I was told that the upgraded clutch for the recall isn't yet available, but should be within 3-4 weeks. Who knows, maybe they'll discontinue production of the stock replacement clutches once the upgraded recall part is available. Again, I'll try to update this thread as I hear more.
This is all awesome new!! Hope it does become a recall. No major issues with mine at this time but have been Leary of it. Thanks for the info good sir!!

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I hope it's true I'll be keeping eye on this one

Reactions: MAINEYAK
H

HondaTech

Usually when Honda has a pending recall PUD they'll stop production of the failing part to keep them from circulating. Then they'll make that part a "controlled part" so we'll have to call Techline to get it for a short time. This is to keep dealers from hogging all the repair parts until a steady supply of them becomes available. Then they'll release it on open order again.

I'm not saying that what's happening here, plus if this is legit, it more than likely wont be a recall, but a PUD (product update campaign) since this isn't a safety related issue. That would mean that Honda will only repair units with the new parts for free for a certain time period (usually around 12-18 months) past the PUD campaign release date. It would be a voluntary thing on Hondas parts and nothing they would be forced to do from a safety standpoint.

B

BrianAbbott

Jan 21, 2016
chattanooga tn
They now have new information about a recall coming out which addresses this whole issue. I was told that the parts may not be available for 3 or 4 weeks at this point, but it affects all these transmissions, whether you've had a clutch issue or not.

Unfortunately there is no information or talk in Honda about a recall on the P1000. Dealer is just trying to please you until your part comes in. When did you purchase your P1000?

Reactions: dotman1
MAINEYAK

MAINEYAK

Sep 19, 2016
Maine
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Unfortunately there is no information or talk in Honda about a recall on the P1000. Dealer is just trying to please you until your part comes in. When did you purchase your P1000?
I was told by the service manager that they just got word of the new recall which hasn't been announced publicly, and it will be replaced in all Pioneer 1000s, not just those with problems, and that it is an upgraded improved design clutch. I'm just repeating what I was told, that's all. I bought mine on Sept 14th.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I too feel it's the dealer blowing smoke but we can all hope. I would think by now Honda realizes it's an issue with reverse being to high and stronger clutches is a band aid but maybe if this is the case they're enough stronger that if we're careful with reverse they will be happier for a lot longer.
This is the first we've heard of acknowledgement from the manufacturer so I'm hopeful though

Hawk53

Hawk53

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2014
Alberta Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What is the ratio in reverse. Is it a higher ratio than low gear.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yes I believe it's somewhere towards 1st high. I feel it's a little lower but not like low range by any means.

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!