P500 Power steering

M

Mlaz81

Dec 24, 2017
Madison OH
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Hello, after mounting my plow on the 500 it appears power steering is no longer an option, its a necessity. So after looking into it I found the tusk kit and the ez-steer, if anybody knows of another option please let me know. Any difference in quality between these two units? I wouldn't mind paying the extra 100$ for the ez-steer if its better built.

Also, Has anybody been running one of these with a plow? Any concern about the extra strain on the motor causing it to overheat and burn up? Its extremely difficult to turn the wheels with the plow, so much so that wife cannot do it. So I imagine it will be working that motor pretty hard. Thanks for any help.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am not well versed in the power steering question, but if you want help installing, let me know. I am east of you in Painesville.

M

Mlaz81

Dec 24, 2017
Madison OH
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Nice to know, I actually live in Madison. My neighbor used to belong to an ATV club in Painesville.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neohio
D

Deleted member 3748

Hello, after mounting my plow on the 500 it appears power steering is no longer an option, its a necessity. So after looking into it I found the tusk kit and the ez-steer, if anybody knows of another option please let me know. Any difference in quality between these two units? I wouldn't mind paying the extra 100$ for the ez-steer if its better built.

Also, Has anybody been running one of these with a plow? Any concern about the extra strain on the motor causing it to overheat and burn up? Its extremely difficult to turn the wheels with the plow, so much so that wife cannot do it. So I imagine it will be working that motor pretty hard. Thanks for any help.
Lots of people, including myself, are using plows with the 500. There are no issues at all. It handles the plow duties with ease. Here's a video of my P5 pushing some snow that's been sitting for months.

I don't have power steering and don't have a problem turning when plowing. I'm wondering if you have something else going on.

Reactions: trigger and HUCK
M

Mlaz81

Dec 24, 2017
Madison OH
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
Could it have something to do with how the plow is mounted? Its a mid mount that I modified to take my old cycle country plow. It adds a huge amount of weight to the front end.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice to know, I actually live in Madison. My neighbor used to belong to an ATV club in Painesville.
Ok, you are east of me then.

Did you have yours at walmart the other day? My wife said she saw some pioneers on trailers in the lot.

M

Mlaz81

Dec 24, 2017
Madison OH
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
The Madison Walmart? I did have it at the Middlefield Walmart after I picked it up from just for fun.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, she works there, was bragging to me she had a few in her lot. I haven’t seen too many 1000’s around here yet.

M

Mlaz81

Dec 24, 2017
Madison OH
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
My neighbor has had a 1000 for about a year and a half he's put on over 2000 miles on it riding down in Hatfield. I seriously considered one, but I will be getting the X4 when it warms up.

D

Deleted member 3748

Could it have something to do with how the plow is mounted? Its a mid mount that I modified to take my old cycle country plow. It adds a huge amount of weight to the front end.
Maybe. I'm no plow expert though. Can you post a pic of it?

advertisement
jphunter55

jphunter55

May 7, 2017
Indian River County, Fl.
Ownership

1. 500

I have the Tusk unit and run in alot of deep water in the swamps of South Florida. I have had the unit submerged many times with no problems at all . If you look at pictures of both units they appear to be identical. I think they are made by whoever makes the units for the various UTV manufactures, and Superatv and Tusk just sell them as separate kits. Don't know this for sure but just guessing.

M

Mlaz81

Dec 24, 2017
Madison OH
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
That would make it easy, the tusk unit is over 100$ cheaper.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
It's my understanding that SuperATV makes the EZ Steer. I researched the hell out of both and ended up going with SuperATV due to their customer service and standing behind their products. Spending that kind of money, it was worth the extra $100 for the peace of mind. It works great.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Ez steer working fine for me, good posts on search. Like the one handed steering in tight trails. Good quality so far and waterproof. Use 10% discount code or call them. Big improvement whichever way you go.

51A3544E DE63 4129 997F D6861ED720AD

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
I did research on this one as well. The Tusk unit has more up to date instructions than the super atv one. Installed it last month and it works great. Got it from Rocky Mountain ATV, makes a big difference with my Bighorn tires plus front bucket.Aabcc2b7f4f699e529d602c2214ed786

Tusk install instructions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mne265nj92v964i/PEPS-2002_Tusk.pdf?dl=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: trigger
M

Mlaz81

Dec 24, 2017
Madison OH
Ownership

1. 500

2. Other Brand
I appreciate everybody's help here. I think I am going to go with the ez-steer as it appears Super ATV seems to have excellent customer service in the event something goes wrong. Is there still a coupon code for members of Hondasxs? Thanks again.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!