Public land and access

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@tjoreo interesting about hunting regs changing. Do you guys have issues with the Board of Game like we do here in AK? They're notorious for backing guides that take out big money non resident clients vs supporting residents (aside from native subsistence stuff) Not saying residents don't have fantastic opportunities, but several species and units your odds are immensely higher by paying big money to a guide.
I am actually pretty partial to the fish and game board and very hesitant of anyone that has a R,D, or I behind their name. Were pretty lucky here that so far we don't have those issues. Right now everyone has the same chance, without a bonus point system or such. The legislators are trying to change it though. They are trying to make the Fish & Game develop a bonus point system, allow the landowner to sale there Landowner tags and make a auction for some prize big game hunts. The F&G is asking for their first increase in revenue in 13 years, but the legis won't even give them a hearing without changing these rules. The F&G constituents (hunters) have spoken and we don't want these rules and would gladly take a few increase. I don't know if were are like all other states, but the F&G budget comes from hunters and sportsmen, and they receive $0 from the general state tax fund. But the legis haven't listened and were recently successful in removing 2 members of the committee and recently added 2 members they wanted. Hunting issues and the land transfer go hand in hand for me and are high on my radar. Like I said, I am pretty lucky, but my 6 and 3 year old sitting right beside me, might not be.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I leguislators are meaniless. The most improtant thing going on with them now, is if they let the female sanitory back

I am actually pretty partial to the fish and game board and very hesitant of anyone that has a R,D, or I behind their name. Were pretty lucky here that so far we don't have those issues. Right now everyone has the same chance, without a bonus point system or such. The legislators are trying to change it though. They are trying to make the Fish & Game develop a bonus point system, allow the landowner to sale there Landowner tags and make a auction for some prize big game hunts. The F&G is asking for their first increase in revenue in 13 years, but the legis won't even give them a hearing without changing these rules. The F&G constituents (hunters) have spoken and we don't want these rules and would gladly take a few increase. I don't know if were are like all other states, but the F&G budget comes from hunters and sportsmen, and they receive $0 from the general state tax fund. But the legis haven't listened and were recently successful in removing 2 members of the committee and recently added 2 members they wanted. Hunting issues and the land transfer go hand in hand for me and are high on my radar. Like I said, I am pretty lucky, but my 6 and 3 year old sitting right beside me, might not be.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing this insightful info!

Reactions: Jediwrathchild
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Idaho Fish and Game spending more to feed big game than any winter on record
We are currently having major issues taking care of these animals and taking care of the farmers and ranchers around here right now. I live in a desert surrounded by BLM sagebrush and I have over 26" of snow in my pasture. With another major storm expected. It has been pretty tough on both and animals and the farmers, so this only leads to more controversy. I sat on a highway the other night with a spot light and shotgun (with blanks) and tried to keep a herd of about 250 elk from crossing over to a ranchers cattle. The F&G in my opinion are trying there hardest but they are not getting much help from the state house boys that should be helping them.

15965055 1350354724996522 6999493706829390291 n 16425851 10212434453441823 8272274496398580442 n

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Idaho Fish and Game spending more to feed big game than any winter on record
We are currently having major issues taking care of these animals and taking care of the farmers and ranchers around here right now. I live in a desert surrounded by BLM sagebrush and I have over 26" of snow in my pasture. With another major storm expected. It has been pretty tough on both and animals and the farmers, so this only leads to more controversy. I sat on a highway the other night with a spot light and shotgun (with blanks) and tried to keep a herd of about 250 elk from crossing over to a ranchers cattle. The F&G in my opinion are trying there hardest but they are not getting much help from the state house boys that should be helping them.

View attachment 32203 View attachment 32204
Wow, this is amazing information you're presenting here. Sounds like you shouldn't have had blanks...............just kidding.

Reactions: tjoreo
tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have to agree. My wife and I chased them for a month and came up empty handed. It's nice to see them so close and actually doing very well, but it sure is nice putting a hand on one and seeing them in the freezer. I guess if I help take care of them, hopefully we have a few to chase next year. The first pic is about 3 miles from my house. We sat there and watched them come in. My 6 yr old boy, still says "That was the best day every!!" Just trying to raise them right.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Bill to Cut Forest Service and BLM Enforcement is a Poacher’s Dream, Sportsman’s Nightmare

The fight continues... HR 622 is another bad idea from Utah reps. Where the hell do they come up with this stuff? Anyone can see that despite the highly public fight between BLM and the Bundy's that BLM and FWS officers fill a critical role of having a LE and SAR presence in wide open spaces. I love seeing wildlife officers and game wardens out and about because I'm not doing anything illegal. And if I witness an illegal action you can bet your ass I'm reporting it. The State troopers up here perform fish and game stuff and I always stop to chat with them when they're out and about. Have definitely ran into interesting characters that were up to no good in the backcountry on a few occasions though.

Reactions: Windrock1000
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Bill to Cut Forest Service and BLM Enforcement is a Poacher’s Dream, Sportsman’s Nightmare

The fight continues... HR 622 is another bad idea from Utah reps. Where the hell do they come up with this stuff? Anyone can see that despite the highly public fight between BLM and the Bundy's that BLM and FWS officers fill a critical role of having a LE and SAR presence in wide open spaces. I love seeing wildlife officers and game wardens out and about because I'm not doing anything illegal. And if I witness an illegal action you can bet your ass I'm reporting it. The State troopers up here perform fish and game stuff and I always stop to chat with them when they're out and about. Have definitely ran into interesting characters that were up to no good in the backcountry on a few occasions though.
Yep, Alaska is thee place for interesting characters in the back country. :D Say, I thought Utah was full of conservative, law abiding citizens, supported Trump, and the notion of bringing back law and order to America. They're not going to do anything that would advantage game thieves, would they? This is just an early April fools joke, not a true bill!!

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Yeah it's pretty absurd @Montecresto i think this is part of their long game to transfer lands. The current management issues will be exacerbated under local jurisdiction. Then they'll say "see! It's better to just sell it all off!" If they truly want better management, they should increase the partnerships between federal and local officers.

Reactions: tjoreo
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah it's pretty absurd @Montecresto i think this is part of their long game to transfer lands. The current management issues will be exacerbated under local jurisdiction. Then they'll say "see! It's better to just sell it all off!" If they truly want better management, they should increase the partnerships between federal and local officers.
That's just so un-American. One of the many things that made American great is our federally controlled public lands. I understand why so many people kept asking Trump throughout the campaign for specifics, to make America great again, what was he planning on returning to? In terms of domestic policy, the great Roosevelt (that would be the republican teddy bear) would be rolling over at his parties willingness to strip federal lands like this.

advertisement
Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
@Montecresto exactly! I'm hopeful for how Zinke will perform as sec of interior. But we as outdoor users gotta keep the pressure on!

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
@Montecresto exactly! I'm hopeful for how Zinke will perform as sec of interior. But we as outdoor users gotta keep the pressure on!
In the confirmation hearings, Bernie Sanders was successful in getting him to break ranks with Trump and the rest of republicans by declaring that he does not believe that GCC is a hoax!!!! He also said you can hunt, fish and drill a well. What Obama locked up on his way out the door will not be easily reversed.

Jediwrathchild

Jediwrathchild

Apr 24, 2016
Kodiak, AK
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Trout Unlimited and the Teddy Roosevelt Conservation Partnership are great organizations and are working really hard. And if you're inclined, supporting them really keeps us in the fight.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, Trout Unlimited and the Teddy Roosevelt Conservation Partnership are great organizations and are working really hard. And if you're inclined, supporting them really keeps us in the fight.
Btw, are you aware of HR861 to terminate the EPA??!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!