P700 Questions

M

man00

Nov 25, 2021
Eastern Ok
Hello all, I sold my Kubota RTV-XG850 and since been looking for 1000 Pioneer but since decided
to look at the 700. I want something street legal, where I live my kubota could not be made to be street legal.
Any known problems or issues with the new 700? And I have read that it can do 45mph ..that is a must
Another question almost all hours/miles will be on dirt roads, streets..no off road or hill climbing at all.
Wondering how many miles one should expect from the 700 will all street miles on it?

Last edited:
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
And I have read that it can do 45mph ..that is a must
Another question almost all hours/miles will be on dirt roads, streets..no off road or hill climbing at all.
Wondering how many miles one should expect from the 700 will all street miles on it?
It can do 45 but takes a while to get there and the engine is absolutely screaming maintaining that speed. That's a good question about how many miles to expect especially if you would be maintaining that high speed and rpms. My 2014 never gave me any problems in 2400 miles. I never rode real fast though.

My opinion if you will be driving at 45 mph all the time you should get the 1000. Your only issue about making it street legal may be the lack of a mechanical parking brake. I'm not familiar with the laws from your state though.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Your only issue about making it street legal may be the lack of a mechanical parking brake. I'm not familiar with the laws from your state though.
Does the Hillbilly brake satisfy the various state law requirements for a mechanical parking brake?

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I won't be driving at 45mph all time if any, just it needs to be able to run that speed so I can tag it
Is this a legal requirement?
Both of my 700's would "pulse" to 44 on the rev limiter, so if you have to "prove" it will do 45, you're probably not going to get that except with larger tires and a gps reading and someone willing to accept that...unless it's done on the trust system or it's just something you're looking for personally.
But...there's more to it. As @WagginTail said above, anything more than 25-30 has the engine spinning over pretty good.

Additionally, the 700 is a good, durable, long lived machine, and we've had someone like @hondabob take one over 20,000 miles ( I personally put 9000 on one before I sold it ), but the higher gearing alone gives the 1000 an advantage there...not to mention the more modern design of the engine. I always said I'd give the 700 maybe 15,000 miles before I started looking into rebuilds or a new engine, but the 1000? I suspect that could easily be 30,000 mile or more machine for the type of riding you describe. I'm thinking someone who rides with @CumminsPusher, has like 40,000 on one?

Yeah...the price is a tough pill to swallow, but for what you describe, you'll be glad you did. Finding one will probably be the hardest part.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does the Hillbilly brake satisfy the various state law requirements for a mechanical parking brake?
Idk. Technically it's using the hydraulic brake system. Not mechanical with a cable.

Reactions: Smitty335
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Some states.
For NC it does, currently.
You just need a "park brake".
There is no current state definition for "Park brake" so the HBB is passing inspections.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Is this a legal requirement?
Both of my 700's would "pulse" to 44 on the rev limiter, so if you have to "prove" it will do 45, you're probably not going to get that except with larger tires and a gps reading and someone willing to accept that...unless it's done on the trust system or it's just something you're looking for personally.
But...there's more to it. As @WagginTail said above, anything more than 25-30 has the engine spinning over pretty good.

Additionally, the 700 is a good, durable, long lived machine, and we've had someone like @hondabob take one over 20,000 miles ( I personally put 9000 on one before I sold it ), but the higher gearing alone gives the 1000 an advantage there...not to mention the more modern design of the engine. I always said I'd give the 700 maybe 15,000 miles before I started looking into rebuilds or a new engine, but the 1000? I suspect that could easily be 30,000 mile or more machine for the type of riding you describe. I'm thinking someone who rides with @CumminsPusher, has like 40,000 on one?

Yeah...the price is a tough pill to swallow, but for what you describe, you'll be glad you did. Finding one will probably be the hardest part.
I believe he’s just shy of 30k on the 1000. Also another local guy here just turned 25k. Both get ridden hard especially the 30k and have lots of life left.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hello all, I sold my Kubota RTV-XG850 and since been looking for 1000 Pioneer but since decided
to look at the 700. I want something street legal, where I live my kubota could not be made to be street legal.
Any known problems or issues with the new 700? And I have read that it can do 45mph ..that is a must
45 mph WFO against the rev limiter, but P700 is rock solid reliable. Still, if looking for road worthy, the P1000 will be much better suited from a ride and handling perspective.

FeelinRecless

FeelinRecless

Lifetime Member
Jun 7, 2020
Idaho
Ownership

1. 700-4
2020 700-4 Deluxe here. Governor kicks in at 43. Can get over that if going downhill.

• Haha
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
For what your asking/needing it to do, u want the P1

KevP700-4

KevP700-4

Mar 27, 2021
Northern MI
Ownership

1. 700-4
43mph as well here. That’s on the flat level pavement. Handling (yeah it’s a SxS) is just so so at 43mph, a little sloppy on stock tires. Noise is also loud at WOT, ear plugs help over 30mph.
The 700 though is a great reliable, dependable, capable machine, just not made for extreme trail or road speeds.
Cheers

03mossy

03mossy

Jun 20, 2018
MN
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
I love our 700 but anything above 35 mph its screaming pretty good and is annoying for any length of time. Best cruising speed is around 25 or less with the 700.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
Parking brake is NOT a requirement in Oklahoma for street legal. (I live in OKC)

I recently installed Hondasxs' street legal kit in my Talon. I personally don't like driving it above 55-60 on the road, and sometimes that seems woefully inadequate. (a 7th gear overdrive would be wonderful, but I digress..) I don't believe I would even consider anything that was limited to 43mph or so. It would be a deal breaker for me.

Steve

Reactions: Buggyman
RobinAZ

RobinAZ

Jan 26, 2022
Arizona
Ownership

1. 700-4
I would like to get at least 50-55 mph out of it. When I have to cross regular roads.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!