P1000 Skid plates without self tapping screws

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
They are Rhino ramps. These are supposedly rated for 5000 lbs per pair, but Id never trust them for that kind of weight. Work great for my Pioneer 1000-3. I think I paid $55/pair. Gives you lots of room to maneuver underneath on a mechanics creeper.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Two easy ways to put that one big piece on and off by yourself.

Stand the machine up vertical and use a ratchet strap hooked to front bumper then hooked to front oil drain hole, then you can pivot and slide one handed until you get a few bolts started.

Or use a floor jack to hold it up against frame while aligned with bolt holes.
I cut a couple of 4x4s and wedged them on end under the center section until I got a couple of the bolts started. This project got me thinking about installing an overhead chain hoist in my shop.

Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Tell me about your plastic ramps, @Prntckt. Are those the Rhino ramps? Standard or Max? I'd likely only use them on the P1K5, as there are a ton of reviews showing them collapse under the load of cars and trucks (what they claim the are for).
Trailer Aid plus are the ramps you want. 15,000 lbs each and plastic.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Tell me about your plastic ramps, @Prntckt. Are those the Rhino ramps? Standard or Max? I'd likely only use them on the P1K5, as there are a ton of reviews showing them collapse under the load of cars and trucks (what they claim the are for).
one trick I found works well is to climb the ramps in 4WD lock. Once I did it in turf mode and one of the ramps slid forward. My shop floor is pretty smooth and the rubber tab on the foot of the ramp can slide until there’s weight on it. I think they are safe as long as you use them properly. I think the weight of a Pioneer is far below their safe capacity.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Solid enough for my Pioneer.
20200210 155127

Last edited:
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Would these get my rig high enough to be able to install my new TA skid plates without too much struggling?

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
i just installed a Factory UTV full skid plate on mine using the Rhino ramps, using a mechanics creeper. I wouldn‘t call it roomy, but I was able to do it easily. I did work under it before the ramps (without the creeper), and there is no way I could have drilled and installed all the rivnuts for the skidplate without the ramps.

advertisement
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
what size bolts did you use with the rivnuts?
I have been recently replacing my bolts as I lose them, going with 8mm bolts and rivnuts.

I never liked the way they had me drilling and tapping a piece of tube to bolt my skid plate up. So far, I've lost about 5 of those bolts, mostly on the outer edges on my Tusk skid plate.

I do worry a bit about the rivnuts - what's going to happen if you spin one of those suckers trying to get a bolt out? Seems like it's going to be a nightmare in its own right...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I have been recently replacing my bolts as I lose them, going with 8mm bolts and rivnuts.

I never liked the way they had me drilling and tapping a piece of tube to bolt my skid plate up. So far, I've lost about 5 of those bolts, mostly on the outer edges on my Tusk skid plate.

I do worry a bit about the rivnuts - what's going to happen if you spin one of those suckers trying to get a bolt out? Seems like it's going to be a nightmare in its own right...
Simply drill out the rivnut and replace, done it a few times with bolts shearing off from rocks.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV

I used the bolts from the OEM bolt locations plus the self-tapping screws. The way I figure, I will replace each self-tapping screw with a Rivnut and bolt IF and WHEN it falls out. So far, none have fallen out. Once I do my first post-skid plate install oil change, maybe they will. But it didn't make sense to do elevendy billion Rivnuts all up front if the self-tappers work. So far, so good.

Phantomhunter1

Phantomhunter1

Mar 2, 2021
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
what size bolts did you use with the rivnuts?
I used M6 bolts and rivnuts with the superatv skid plate. That way all the bolts are the same thread pattern. Many of the superatv skid plate holes utilize the factory threaded holes as well. The rivnuts were from Grainger, item # 33JF21. The bolts were from McMaster 90386A102. I did need a few more that were longer, dont rember length. Maybe 30 or 35mm. Theyre used where the spacer is. Just got those from local hardware.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!