P1000 Skid plates without self tapping screws

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Is there a good skid plate system for the P1000 that doesn’t utilize self tapping screws as part of the installation procedure?

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I'm doing the Trail Armor skids & A-Arms. They use some self tappers, but they use a good number of the OEM bolts. If I ever feel the screws aren't secure enough, I'll just replace all the self tappers with rivnuts.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Invest in a decent nutsert tool and you'll never have to worry about self tappers again. Also keep in mind the OEM bolts are threaded into holes just a few threads deep. Nutserts are easy to replace if need be.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Invest in a decent nutsert tool and you'll never have to worry about self tappers again. Also keep in mind the OEM bolts are threaded into holes just a few threads deep. Nutserts are easy to replace if need be.
Todd, could you recommend a nutsert tool ? What skid plate system did you install on your recent build?

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Todd, could you recommend a nutsert tool ? What skid plate system did you install on your recent build?
I have had this tool for almost 5 years. I'd say I've installed upwards of 500 nutserts with it. The 8mm and 5/16 are tough but you can spin them part way on and hit them twice.

rzx 8" RIVET NUT GUN M3 M4 M5,m6... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XVB3MMG?tag=sxsweb24-20

For skid plates I bought a 4x8 sheet of black 3/8" UHMW. I had 16" cut off 1 side and uses that for the floor board skids. Down the center I have a single piece 32" skid plate with all the stock vent holes plus a few others. I've gusseted all of my round tube sliders outside the main frame with tube gussets from RuffStuff and gusseted all of the main frame crossmembers. I also added a sub transmission crossmember to protect the sub trans shifter.

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks Todd. I spent some time tonight reading parts of your build thread. Looks like theres a lot of good info there. Did you order your nutserts from Amazon as well?

Reactions: Biteme and Lady01
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Is there a good skid plate system for the P1000 that doesn’t utilize self tapping screws as part of the installation procedure?
I've had the Trail Armor full skids, they attach in 3 sections which is easier to handle but have had the side sections repeatedly tore off. Went with a 1 piece skids on my next machine from FUTV (Factory UTV) and they have been perfect over 11k miles.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I've had the Trail Armor full skids, they attach in 3 sections which is easier to handle but have had the side sections repeatedly tore off. Went with a 1 piece skids on my next machine from FUTV (Factory UTV) and they have been perfect over 11k miles.
Would it be difficult to remove the FUTV one piece skid on a Pioneer P1000 to perform oil changes?

advertisement
Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have had this tool for almost 5 years. I'd say I've installed upwards of 500 nutserts with it. The 8mm and 5/16 are tough but you can spin them part way on and hit them twice.

rzx 8" RIVET NUT GUN M3 M4 M5,m6... Amazon.com

For skid plates I bought a 4x8 sheet of black 3/8" UHMW. I had 16" cut off 1 side and uses that for the floor board skids. Down the center I have a single piece 32" skid plate with all the stock vent holes plus a few others. I've gusseted all of my round tube sliders outside the main frame with tube gussets from RuffStuff and gusseted all of the main frame crossmembers. I also added a sub transmission crossmember to protect the sub trans shifter.
I used the rivnut tool that you recommended to install my skid plate. It worked very well. Not sure how I got by without it! I can see a lot of uses in the future for it. I ordered the tube gussets from RuffStuff and fabricated the reinforcements for the outside tubes. Now planning to do the reinforcement of the crossmembers and fabricate the sub transmission crossmember. Thanks for the recommendations!

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used the rivnut tool that you recommended to install my skid plate. It worked very well. Not sure how I got by without it! I can see a lot of uses in the future for it. I ordered the tube gussets from RuffStuff and fabricated the reinforcements for the outside tubes. Now planning to do the reinforcement of the crossmembers and fabricate the sub transmission crossmember. Thanks for the recommendations!
Glad it worked for you. I use the tool all the time

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I decided to go with the Factory UTV skids. That center section was a chore to install from below by myself, but I am pleased with the result. I used rivnuts instead of the self tapping screws provided in the kit. Turned out nice. Thought I'd get a picture of it while it still was shiny and new.

20211230 2305441

20211230 2305441

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I decided to go with the Factory UTV skids. That center section was a chore to install from below by myself, but I am pleased with the result. I used rivnuts instead of the self tapping screws provided in the kit. Turned out nice. Thought I'd get a picture of it while it still was shiny and new.

View attachment 311216

View attachment 311216
Two easy ways to put that one big piece on and off by yourself.

Stand the machine up vertical and use a ratchet strap hooked to front bumper then hooked to front oil drain hole, then you can pivot and slide one handed until you get a few bolts started.

Or use a floor jack to hold it up against frame while aligned with bolt holes.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Tell me about your plastic ramps, @Prntckt. Are those the Rhino ramps? Standard or Max? I'd likely only use them on the P1K5, as there are a ton of reviews showing them collapse under the load of cars and trucks (what they claim the are for).

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Tell me about your plastic ramps, @Prntckt. Are those the Rhino ramps? Standard or Max? I'd likely only use them on the P1K5, as there are a ton of reviews showing them collapse under the load of cars and trucks (what they claim the are for).
I have a pair and use them all the time. Not sure on the brand

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!