P1000 Sub transmission

Bryce

Bryce

Feb 14, 2017
Glenwood city wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone had their sub transmission apart? 200 miles ago I changed all fluids. I have since been noticing a slight rattling noise under load. Check fluid level, it is full. Drain fluid last night, fluid is dark and had a slight metallic appearance... Any input would be appreciated.

Reactions: Ragnar406
R

RickMaynard

May 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone had their sub transmission apart? 200 miles ago I changed all fluids. I have since been noticing a slight rattling noise under load. Check fluid level, it is full. Drain fluid last night, fluid is dark and had a slight metallic appearance... Any input would be appreciated.

I took mine in for same noise, thought valves might need adjusting, dealer said noise was normal.
Just down shift when it starts making that noise if it bothers you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Shannon840
Bryce

Bryce

Feb 14, 2017
Glenwood city wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took mine in for same noise, thought valves might need adjusting, dealer said noise was normal.
Just down shift when it starts making that noise if it bothers you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I adjusted the valves at the same time. The machine has 4800 miles on it and has never had any metal in any fluids. Clutch update was recently done as well. Dealer said looked like new. Taking my wife and kids to South Dakota in June. That last thing I want is to deal with problems out there...

Bryce

Bryce

Feb 14, 2017
Glenwood city wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Put about 4oz of lucas oil stabilizer in there...quiets it down alot.
I saw that in another post last night. Works good? My only real concern is the “shiny” oil after 200 miles. Maybe I’m just overreacting. I’m an auto technician. In a car/truck, sparkling oil is never good.

Reactions: GlockMeister
GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I saw that in another post last night. Works good? My only real concern is the “shiny” oil after 200 miles. Maybe I’m just overreacting. I’m an auto technician. In a car/truck, sparkling oil is never good.
So far yes it works good at quieting it down. I dont know how many miles you have on your machine..it maybe its still be breaking in. I also put small magnets on all my drain plugs. That was recommended by @joeymt33 .
20180324 170437

Bryce

Bryce

Feb 14, 2017
Glenwood city wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So far yes it works good at quieting it down. I dont know how many miles you have on your machine..it maybe its still be breaking in. I also put small magnets on all my drain plugs. That was recommended by @joeymt33 .
View attachment 74030
I have 4800 miles on it. That’s really the only reason I’m concerned. I have a call in to my service manager buddy. Think I’m going to go home and fill with new oil/Lucas and take it for a ride unless he has something else to say.

Reactions: GlockMeister
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I changed mine 3 times and the sub tranny oil has looked almost new each time. 1700 hundred miles. You have any pics of the oil?

Bryce

Bryce

Feb 14, 2017
Glenwood city wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, it’s out and I split the case. Unfortunately, further disassembly will be required to determine the root of the problem. There is nothing obvious in the front half. Gears will have to come out and I have not yet purchased a service manual. I will let you know what I find out when I get it back.

Reactions: Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, it’s out and I split the case. Unfortunately, further disassembly will be required to determine the root of the problem. There is nothing obvious in the front half. Gears will have to come out and I have not yet purchased a service manual. I will let you know what I find out when I get it back.
Hate to hear that. Keep us posted and post some pics if you can.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any pictures of where the case is cracked? And I guess it wasn't split open enough to lose all your oil?

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Any pictures of where the case is cracked? And I guess it wasn't split open enough to lose all your oil?
I think he means he intentionally took the case halves apart after getting it out of the machine.

Reactions: nsmitch
Bryce

Bryce

Feb 14, 2017
Glenwood city wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think he means he intentionally took the case halves apart after getting it out of the machine.
Sorry, should have worded that differently. I separated the case and could not see anything obvious. I haven’t purchased a shop manual yet and didn’t want to take a chance missing something on the way back together.

Reactions: HBarlow
CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine makes the same chatter sound I think you are describing. Only under load around 25mph is the worst. Like going up a long smooth paved road with an incline. If I shift down and get the rpms up it goes away I guess, or you can't here it anymore. Love to know if you find anything. I've had two of these pioneers... I don't remember my first one making this noise. I really don't like the inconsistency between units...

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mine makes the same chatter sound I think you are describing. Only under load around 25mph is the worst. Like going up a long smooth paved road with an incline. If I shift down and get the rpms up it goes away I guess, or you can't here it anymore. Love to know if you find anything. I've had two of these pioneers... I don't remember my first one making this noise. I really don't like the inconsistency between units...
Mine made a rattling-like noise under load and at a certain engine rpm range. Turns out it was the network of rods running under the floor that were rattling. I stuffed a bunch of foam between the rods and the floor and it helped a lot. But I'd be concerned about that sparkling oil too.

Reactions: 2018GMC
I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hope you get it figured out, much braver man than I to take apart sub trans, I would put it back together and have left over parts lol. I had a rattle that I couldn’t figure out for about three weeks, turns out it was a heat shield that would rattle under load, tightened everything up and all was good

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!