P1000 Sub transmission

Bryce

Bryce

Feb 14, 2017
Glenwood city wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well, I looked at it, 4 techs looked at it, and the Honda rep looked at it. All ha the same conclusion. Nothing wrong. I still have no explanation for the sparkling oil. Yesterday I put it back together, cleaned the machine, and filled the sub transmission with new Honda oil/Lucas oil stabilizer. I also filled both diffs with Lucas 85w-140. After doing so I drove the machine without the floor, doors, or new heat shields installed. Although it still makes the noise, it is much quieter. While mine was apart I drove a 2017 P1K5 only to heats the same noise. The only thing I have come up with is that after the dealer installed the new heat shields the sound came from a different area which caused my wife to notice it more. And after she continued to remind me of the noise I just thought started to think something was actually wrong. The noise is in fact normal and apparently I just didn’t remember it from the previous year. So after it was all said and done I am relieved that there wasn’t anything wrong. I just wish I could explain the dirty oil after only 200 miles. I am also very pleased with the help from my dealer and the fact my bill was only $153 with the gaskets. I feel that that was more than fair given the amount of time spent and number of techs involved. Although I really don’t use the service department much do to the fact that I am capable of doing my one work provided I have service information, I would recommend River Valley Power and sport of Redwing Minnesota to anyone.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine can make a rattling noise when lugging in high range at slow speed as in climbing a hill with slight slope. I worried too but so far no issues.

Waylan

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Well, I looked at it, 4 techs looked at it, and the Honda rep looked at it. All ha the same conclusion. Nothing wrong. I still have no explanation for the sparkling oil. Yesterday I put it back together, cleaned the machine, and filled the sub transmission with new Honda oil/Lucas oil stabilizer. I also filled both diffs with Lucas 85w-140. After doing so I drove the machine without the floor, doors, or new heat shields installed. Although it still makes the noise, it is much quieter. While mine was apart I drove a 2017 P1K5 only to heats the same noise. The only thing I have come up with is that after the dealer installed the new heat shields the sound came from a different area which caused my wife to notice it more. And after she continued to remind me of the noise I just thought started to think something was actually wrong. The noise is in fact normal and apparently I just didn’t remember it from the previous year. So after it was all said and done I am relieved that there wasn’t anything wrong. I just wish I could explain the dirty oil after only 200 miles. I am also very pleased with the help from my dealer and the fact my bill was only $153 with the gaskets. I feel that that was more than fair given the amount of time spent and number of techs involved. Although I really don’t use the service department much do to the fact that I am capable of doing my one work provided I have service information, I would recommend River Valley Power and sport of Redwing Minnesota to anyone.
Your Pioneer still doing ok??

Reactions: Jbirdhonda10005
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
has anything come from this from anyone? My Talon has been doing this from day 1, but my Pioneer didnt. Same symptoms, under load over 30mph. RPM doesnt matter. Will stop as soon as you let off the gas or when its changing gears. Most likely going to take it to the dealer next weekend

Reactions: Jbirdhonda10005

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I know of three things that can create a rattle:

1) Loose or bent heat shield
2) Floor support rods under floor
3) Normal machine function of the subtrans-to-front drive shaft freeplay

When you engage 4WD, does the noise completely go away? If so, that is a normal sound of the machine and it is of no concern. (4WD closes this freeplay and doesn't allow it to rattle)

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I know of three things that can create a rattle:

1) Loose or bent heat shield
2) Floor support rods under floor
3) Normal machine function of the subtrans-to-front drive shaft freeplay

When you engage 4WD, does the noise completely go away? If so, that is a normal sound of the machine and it is of no concern. (4WD closes this freeplay and doesn't allow it to rattle)
ill have to try mine in 4wd and see, rarely run in 4wd unless needed

Swampmonkey

Swampmonkey

Jan 17, 2019
Al
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Noticed it too last time I was at hunting camp going up a incline. Reminds me of what my foreman450 would do if you were in to high of a gear.

R

rickoshea

mine started doing this as well.sounds like it's maybe a normal thing for the machine.if it gets worse i'll let the warranty deal with it,otherwise i'm going to ignore it.i mentioned it to the techs last time it was in for service but they couldn't find a problem but it's on record now anyway.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
When you assemble it it will be in neutral the shop manual may say in park which is impossible. The Talon shop manual says neutral which is correct. Be careful with the ball bearings and one needle bearing will have one roller missing which is normal. Take lots of pictures as you take it apart.

Reactions: TripleB
Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Sent a video clip to my dealership. Want to at least have it recorded, but it’s also annoying while riding. Listened to lots of videos of other people driving and doesn’t have the noise. Sound of motor and exhaust is much nicer. If they try to tell me it’s normal (first I disagree), but second I’m gonna need a louder exhaust

Dragon21

Dragon21

Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
curious if this is "spark knock". I started with dealer gas but everything since then has been ethonal free from the same station in WV. wonder if it could be bad gas.

Upload 2019 12 18 9 27 40

J

Jbirdhonda10005

Nov 15, 2020
Ruffin NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine does the same thing I’ve been trying to figure it out for years. And you can make it briefly go away while upshifting and downshifting with the paddle shifters. I do feel more confident about it now that I’m not the only one.

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone had their sub transmission apart? 200 miles ago I changed all fluids. I have since been noticing a slight rattling noise under load. Check fluid level, it is full. Drain fluid last night, fluid is dark and had a slight metallic appearance... Any input would be appreciated.

Just that absolutely do not over fill it. Even by a little.
My first engine/subtrans change I slightly over filled mine just a bit and it wouldn't shift into low with grinding as I tried.
Dumped the oil, measured perfect amount, readded and never a problem since then.
JME

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
What is that?
it's hondas oil with moly.

Reactions: Montecresto
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
it's hondas oil with moly.
fwiw: don't use this in an engine with a wet clutch, sub trans only for us.

M

Mb042215

Dec 2, 2020
Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2021 pioneer 1000-5 drove through about 2 1/2 feet of water and wire wrapped my tire and went to shift in reverse machine shut off got pulled an hour later it’s starts fine in neutral and park but shifting into gear it dies checked oil no water check trans fluid really milky

If I change the trans fluid will it go into gear with out dying ???

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!