P500 SxS vs ATV

T

teakmtn

Mar 25, 2016
Eastern Sierra
Man is this getting to be a tough decision for me. Please note, I have never owned any type of ATV. Maybe spent 2 hours riding an ATV several years ago. You talk about analysis paralysis! Yikes! So, yesterday I went to a dealer to actually get my hands on a P500. After getting a well intentioned tour and education by the sales guy, I'm not sure whether to go with P500 or one of the Foreman variants. The price difference is close enough to not be much of a factor.

Currently, the only reason (that I can see) to go with P500 is to have a passenger, which is maybe 25% of the time (as a fly fishing and bird hunting guide). All my hunting buddies have ATVs already. And I spend 50% off road time by myself. 50% of that time with my bird dog(crate will be secured to back rack). 99% of riding will be in Eastern Sierra and Nevada desert mountains. The mountains in Nevada can be a very long, flat 10+ mile approach across decent dirt roads, then 5 or 10 miles of very steep, very rocky, deeply rutted two tracks. Best Mule Deer and Chucker hunting in the world, but, I digress.

I mention the long approaches simply for the speed difference between the two machines.

I know many of you have owned both types of these vehicles and many still do, but, now own and maybe prefer the P500. So, I guess I'm asking why would you advise me one way or the other. Also, for me, I'll admit this is a very expensive piece of equipment. And I can't afford to screw this up, and I have come to recognize the collective wisdom in this great community I have stumbled onto here. By the way, I'm 65, and if that matters, that's why I'm finally getting an ATV/UTV. Starting to slow down just a bit.
Thanking you in advance, Doug T.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
It's the steering wheel!

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Some advantages: hauling bigger loads(mule deer, dogbox, gear, etc), protection of rollbar, roof/windshield for bad weather, more comfortable seating, wont get as muddy with doors, etc

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I would recommend the P500. If you aren't an experienced ATV rider, the controls will be more familiar, and the comfort factor is a huge plus. I have NO trouble following Rancher and Foreman riders anywhere they go, and I'm much more comfortable while doing so. Also, I'm getting older, and REALLY appreciate the roll cage. Ha! I know that I do not "bounce" like I did 15-20 years ago. The only drawback is the top end speed on dirt roads, but cruising at 35-40mph is not necessarily a bad thing. If I have to be in a hurry to enjoy myself, I'd rather just stay home. Ha! Covering 10 miles at 60mph takes 10 minutes, covering the same distance at 30mph takes 20. Is that 5-10 minutes that important to you? As Jerry Clower once said, "What's time to a hog?". My father, the most laid back person that I've ever met, said that often. I never understood it as a child, but it speaks volumes to me now.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Can't be compared....
apples & oranges

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Man is this getting to be a tough decision for me. Please note, I have never owned any type of ATV. Maybe spent 2 hours riding an ATV several years ago. You talk about analysis paralysis! Yikes! So, yesterday I went to a dealer to actually get my hands on a P500. After getting a well intentioned tour and education by the sales guy, I'm not sure whether to go with P500 or one of the Foreman variants. The price difference is close enough to not be much of a factor.

Currently, the only reason (that I can see) to go with P500 is to have a passenger, which is maybe 25% of the time (as a fly fishing and bird hunting guide). All my hunting buddies have ATVs already. And I spend 50% off road time by myself. 50% of that time with my bird dog(crate will be secured to back rack). 99% of riding will be in Eastern Sierra and Nevada desert mountains. The mountains in Nevada can be a very long, flat 10+ mile approach across decent dirt roads, then 5 or 10 miles of very steep, very rocky, deeply rutted two tracks. Best Mule Deer and Chucker hunting in the world, but, I digress.

I mention the long approaches simply for the speed difference between the two machines.

I know many of you have owned both types of these vehicles and many still do, but, now own and maybe prefer the P500. So, I guess I'm asking why would you advise me one way or the other. Also, for me, I'll admit this is a very expensive piece of equipment. And I can't afford to screw this up, and I have come to recognize the collective wisdom in this great community I have stumbled onto here. By the way, I'm 65, and if that matters, that's why I'm finally getting an ATV/UTV. Starting to slow down just a bit.
Thanking you in advance, Doug T.

Check out "Green Stomper" by Rocmar
then...start your build

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
They are two different machines entirely. I bought quads first and honestly kinda made fun of the guys on the sxs's...until I got one. The quad will be more stable on hills and be quicker but less roomy yet will get that job done for you. However a sxs can be enclosed accessorized with stereo better lighting and easier to take things with you and give you more advantages that way. Look at what @rocmar and others have done you'll see why I say this. Weight and size as you know are pretty close so hauling them will be very similar unless height is a restriction however for most people it's not. I prefer the sxs as we have dirtbike sand it's still kinda second (kinda) but love it. Still have a quad but it's of no use to me. Everyone is different however you are asking this question on Honda"sxs".com so most will say p500. I would. Like @Montecresto said "steering wheel"

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
They are two different machines entirely. I bought quads first and honestly kinda made fun of the guys on the sxs's...until I got one. The quad will be more stable on hills and be quicker but less roomy yet will get that job done for you. However a sxs can be enclosed accessorized with stereo better lighting and easier to take things with you and give you more advantages that way. Look at what @rocmar and others have done you'll see why I say this. Weight and size as you know are pretty close so hauling them will be very similar unless height is a restriction however for most people it's not. I prefer the sxs as we have dirtbike sand it's still kinda second (kinda) but love it. Still have a quad but it's of no use to me. Everyone is different however you are asking this question on Honda"sxs".com so most will say p500. I would. Like @Montecresto said "steering wheel"
I say...Think of your dog! Just think how comfortable he/she will be sitting in the seat next to you. You reach over and give mans best friend a scratch behind the ears and reach your favorite beverage in your cup holder of you P500... Life doesn't get much better than that;)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I say...Think of your dog! Just think how comfortable he/she will be sitting in the seat next to you. You reach over and give mans best friend a scratch behind the ears and reach your favorite beverage in your cup holder of you P500... Life doesn't get much better than that;)
What he said!

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
the p5 can go everywhere an atv can that being said an atv can be easier to maneuver but its a 50/50 trade off to passenger and cargo for your intentions id say the pioneer would be best fit or if ur set on an atv get a rancher 420at you cant go wrong either way

advertisement
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
My friends and family were all surprised that I didn't sell my Foreman after buying my P1000-5. I love them both and they both excel in different areas. So buy both lol.
agreed 100000000000%

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You definitely want the sxs for the dog box, put a little gun rack ot the rollcage. Strapping a $2000.00 over/under to a front rack makes me cringe! Also you'll still have room for water jugs. You can create an awsome dog box on the back.

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
same with my 2012 rancher/at hahaha my son(14) daughter (3) would kill me !!!!!! hahhaha
Right! My 18 yr old daughter probably wouldn't speak to me for a while if I got rid of her mud machine!

Reactions: jak9922
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
After 40+ years of being a Honda rider I can assure you men our age can appreciate the SXS aspect that an ATV does not offer. First the P500 can go anywhere the Rubicon 500 can go. Both can fit in the back of a pickup (a real pickup anyway). In instances of longer rides / drives the P500 is far more comfortable to drive than ride any ATV holding the handlebars. With the P500 and a dog box mounted on back rack you have all kinds of storage space in the passenger area when riding solo. You can put a roof, windshield, and rear panel or heck even a full cab on the P500 for dealing with rain / cold you don't have that option on an ATV. I was reluctant at first to get rid of my Rincon for a P500 but I have no regrets. With age comes a cage and a better appreciation for comfort while still enjoying the outdoors.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
After 40+ years of being a Honda rider I can assure you men our age can appreciate the SXS aspect that an ATV does not offer. First the P500 can go anywhere the Rubicon 500 can go. Both can fit in the back of a pickup (a real pickup anyway). In instances of longer rides / drives the P500 is far more comfortable to drive than ride any ATV holding the handlebars. With the P500 and a dog box mounted on back rack you have all kinds of storage space in the passenger area when riding solo. You can put a roof, windshield, and real panel or heck even a full cab on the P500 for dealing with rain / cold you don't have that option on an ATV. I was reluctant at first to get rid of my Rincon for a P500 but I have no regrets. With age comes a cage and a better appreciation for comfort while still enjoying the outdoors.
amen again

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!