500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I have a rincon and pioneer and hardly ride the rincon.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
You know if I had a Rincon rather then a Polaris I'd probably ride it more.i tend to ride things I trust. Just Saying.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Man is this getting to be a tough decision for me. Please note, I have never owned any type of ATV. Maybe spent 2 hours riding an ATV several years ago. You talk about analysis paralysis! Yikes! So, yesterday I went to a dealer to actually get my hands on a P500. After getting a well intentioned tour and education by the sales guy, I'm not sure whether to go with P500 or one of the Foreman variants. The price difference is close enough to not be much of a factor.

Currently, the only reason (that I can see) to go with P500 is to have a passenger, which is maybe 25% of the time (as a fly fishing and bird hunting guide). All my hunting buddies have ATVs already. And I spend 50% off road time by myself. 50% of that time with my bird dog(crate will be secured to back rack). 99% of riding will be in Eastern Sierra and Nevada desert mountains. The mountains in Nevada can be a very long, flat 10+ mile approach across decent dirt roads, then 5 or 10 miles of very steep, very rocky, deeply rutted two tracks. Best Mule Deer and Chucker hunting in the world, but, I digress.

I mention the long approaches simply for the speed difference between the two machines.

I know many of you have owned both types of these vehicles and many still do, but, now own and maybe prefer the P500. So, I guess I'm asking why would you advise me one way or the other. Also, for me, I'll admit this is a very expensive piece of equipment. And I can't afford to screw this up, and I have come to recognize the collective wisdom in this great community I have stumbled onto here. By the way, I'm 65, and if that matters, that's why I'm finally getting an ATV/UTV. Starting to slow down just a bit.
Thanking you in advance, Doug T.

Start by creating a list of pro and cons and then compare the two. I'll get you started... Maybe others can join in.

ATV pros:
1. A little cheaper
2. Maybe more maneuverable(depends on the driver)
3. Maybe the other guys can add more

SXS pros:
1. Can add a roof to keep the sun and rain off
2. Safety advantage with ROPS and seatbelt
3. Larger hauling capacity
4. Support from such a great group of P500 owners!
5. Windshield, can ride comfortably in the rain.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
atv pros
-Quicker
-Better fuel economy?
-Won't get into trouble with the Mrs. For adding accessories
-more stable
-limbo better under tree limbs
-less tippy

Sxs pros
-warmer winter
-bring buddy with out being nut-to-butt
-less fatigue
-protection
-no arm pump or carpal tunnel in your right thumb
-less chance of spilling your beer
-place to put your beer
-noticed a little better by cars
-roll bars protect you a little from branches
-tall and narrow so if it does tip it stops doesn't continue rolling like the quad and it's easy to tip back over

Last edited:
Jason86

Jason86

Apr 26, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 500
Man is this getting to be a tough decision for me. Please note, I have never owned any type of ATV. Maybe spent 2 hours riding an ATV several years ago. You talk about analysis paralysis! Yikes! So, yesterday I went to a dealer to actually get my hands on a P500. After getting a well intentioned tour and education by the sales guy, I'm not sure whether to go with P500 or one of the Foreman variants. The price difference is close enough to not be much of a factor.

Currently, the only reason (that I can see) to go with P500 is to have a passenger, which is maybe 25% of the time (as a fly fishing and bird hunting guide). All my hunting buddies have ATVs already. And I spend 50% off road time by myself. 50% of that time with my bird dog(crate will be secured to back rack). 99% of riding will be in Eastern Sierra and Nevada desert mountains. The mountains in Nevada can be a very long, flat 10+ mile approach across decent dirt roads, then 5 or 10 miles of very steep, very rocky, deeply rutted two tracks. Best Mule Deer and Chucker hunting in the world, but, I digress.

I mention the long approaches simply for the speed difference between the two machines.

I know many of you have owned both types of these vehicles and many still do, but, now own and maybe prefer the P500. So, I guess I'm asking why would you advise me one way or the other. Also, for me, I'll admit this is a very expensive piece of equipment. And I can't afford to screw this up, and I have come to recognize the collective wisdom in this great community I have stumbled onto here. By the way, I'm 65, and if that matters, that's why I'm finally getting an ATV/UTV. Starting to slow down just a bit.
For me the answer is simply as I own a 420 rancher and a p500. I almost always chose to ride the p500. because of its versatility, comfort,and less fatigue from a long ride. The p500 is truly an all around good machine.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I really think you get a LOT more for your money when buying the Pioneer 500. I've had some 4x4 wheelers and though I loved them, the P500 is so much more versatile and FUN. If nothing else, being able to pick up a buddy and go for a ride through the woods while having a conversation is almost worth the price of admission by itself.

Oh and one more thing....maybe most important of all.... the P500 has CUPHOLDERS!!!! :)

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One other thing, a dog box on the back of the rancher will make the front to light for safe application. If you are not limited to 50" I'd go 700-2. Still under 10 grand. You get a locker, a full box with sides. And you could put 2 dogs in the back of a diamond plate dog box and it will be as stable as without it. And alot safer 1000lbs bed capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Just get what you want and you will be happy that's why I have a pioneer 1000-5 because it's what I wanted and it helps me when I need to get work done.

Reactions: Plumber32
advertisement
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500

Here is my take on it...I have had ATV's for a long time and always said I would not be without one. Then I bought the P5 and I say, "Wish I had one of these a long time ago." Every time we go out I like the side by more and more and I am in my late 60's.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Start by creating a list of pro and cons and then compare the two. I'll get you started... Maybe others can join in.

ATV pros:
1. A little cheaper
2. Maybe more maneuverable(depends on the driver)
3. Maybe the other guys can add more

SXS pros:
1. Can add a roof to keep the sun and rain off
2. Safety advantage with ROPS and seatbelt
3. Larger hauling capacity
4. Support from such a great group of P500 owners!
5. Windshield, can ride comfortably in the rain.

CUP HOLDERS.....JOEY.....

K

Kirkl

Jul 13, 2015
E. WA
Im a newbie SxS rider as of February. Been on honda ATV's for a long time and I LOVE my P500. So much more comfortable to ride. My cousin who usually rides nut to butt on my old quad absolutly loved it this year on the P500. So nice to drink a cup of coffee in the early mornings while still able to drive. And the roof and windshield are great to keep wind and weather off of you. I still have my old honda 300 but I would never go back to full time riding an atv. Buy one and dont look back.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4

No P-5 owner will council you to choose an atv over Hondas Pioneer 500.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I have a quad 500 and love it for aggressive trail riding. More control being able to shift your weight, cornering with just a leg draped over the seat. It has plowed my driveway for ten years without many issues. If I were buying a machine primarily for hunting or just getting to the fishing hole, it would be a side by side. Keeps you out of the rain, can haul more gear, less mud on you after the ride, more comfortable for a passenger or best friend and a roll cage. Having both has its advantages but if I had to pick one...P5.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
ATV like owning a Vette. Nice but not practical
500 Like owning a f250. Nice AND practical
That was my progression
Im a newbie SxS rider as of February. Been on honda ATV's for a long time and I LOVE my P500. So much more comfortable to ride. My cousin who usually rides nut to butt on my old quad absolutly loved it this year on the P500. So nice to drink a cup of coffee in the early mornings while still able to drive. And the roof and windshield are great to keep wind and weather off of you. I still have my old honda 300 but I would never go back to full time riding an atv. Buy one and dont look back.

I bet he does!

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
If it ain't a P500
I'll sit in camp....
IF IT AIN'T MY P500...
I'LL SIT IN CAMP
HaHa

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
then 5 or 10 miles of very steep, very rocky, deeply rutted two tracks.
This being the case, choose a machine with a real, selectable front locker or be prepared to pull a winch cable all day. It doesn't matter the brand or type, in steep rocks if you don't have a front locker you'll spend more time pulling a winch cable than riding. Been there and got the t-shirt.

Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I still want one of those little 500's I hope Honda does do something there. just asking because I don't know But does anyone know if the quad stuff fits?

Last edited:
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!