Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Thanks, and exactly. By starting them out on dirt bikes they are learning about balance and physics and when they do get hurt the injuries are statistically less serious than on quads which teaches them the most important lesson, respect for the machine that will bite you if/when you get stupid. When I got my first quad, applying the fundamentals I learned on a dirt bike was second nature.
The only thing different is the path you choose

Reactions: MontanaBighorn
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Im not disagreeing that a locker will help... There are alot a variables when comparing machines. Weight, Width, Height, Ground Clearance, Gearing, Tires, Driver, the list goes on and on. I think you would find the p500 does very well in real world applications.
Ditto!

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
I agree with the tire slip on the Polaris atv awd. That sucks!!! It doesn't have near the control or traction as a locked setup. Thanks for mentioning that because people argue with me at how much "easier and better " that setup is. Honda it's locked! On gravel or loose footing you can't compare!
The Polaris system works for a lot of folks but it certainly is not for me. I love engine braking, crawling and powered turning. When travelling a long gravel road for example, lets say at 45 mph, the front and rear tires are turning the same speed thus the Polaris gives you limp front tires as you steer around curves. When it's loose or muddy, I definitely prefer powered turning just for that little extra margin of steering authority. For its faults on tires, its exaggerated on tracks because the rear track isn't likely to slip which leaves you pushing the front track constantly. I don't like it on rocks either. The last thing I want on rocks is wheel spin. It just makes the machine work so much harder than it should which I think contributes to the dismal service failures throughout the line up (just my opinion on the last statement with no verifiable source to substantiate).

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
The Polaris system works for a lot of folks but it certainly is not for me. I love engine braking, crawling and powered turning. When travelling a long gravel road for example, lets say at 45 mph, the front and rear tires are turning the same speed thus the Polaris gives you limp front tires as you steer around curves. When it's loose or muddy, I definitely prefer powered turning just for that little extra margin of steering authority. For its faults on tires, its exaggerated on tracks because the rear track isn't likely to slip which leaves you pushing the front track constantly. I don't like it on rocks either. The last thing I want on rocks is wheel spin. It just makes the machine work so much harder than it should which I think contributes to the dismal service failures throughout the line up (just my opinion on the last statement with no verifiable source to substantiate).
AGREED!

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
I think you would find the p500 does very well in real world applications.
I agree completely and have no doubt that it's an outstanding machine in most applications. Had this conversation not been about crawling up steep rocks specifically I would have sat it out. I almost bought a pair of P500s for my daughters on the same day that I bought my P1000. If OEM or the aftermarket ever does produce a front locker I'll surely be shopping the line again. At least 50% of what we ride is rocks so its an important issue for me.

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
I agree completely and have no doubt that it's an outstanding machine in most applications. Had this conversation not been about crawling up steep rocks specifically I would have sat it out. I almost bought a pair of P500s for my daughters on the same day that I bought my P1000. If OEM or the aftermarket ever does produce a front locker I'll surely be shopping the line again. At least 50% of what we ride is rocks so its an important issue for me.

yeah its too bad someone doesnt make a little aussie type locker to replace the spider gears. they are only 250 bucks for a jeep front axle.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
yeah its too bad someone doesnt make a little aussie type locker to replace the spider gears. they are only 250 bucks for a jeep front axle.
I'll bet 50% of the people that have a p500 would buy that setup if it were under 500$. If I had one I would. I wonder if it could be pressured into production?:)

Reactions: ehart814
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
If I recall the original Hummer that was used in the military does not have a front locker either. You were required to modulate the brake and throttle to obtain resistance to the spinning/lifted tire to force torque to the wheel on the ground.

I wonder if that's the case with these? Come to think of it I don't think the rincon or many other big ATV's have a locking front diff?
07 CanAm. 800 outlander HO
Has a Diff lock
05 kawie 750 brute force
has a Diff lock
.....yes I agree it's knowing
How to properly use your
machine....mostly
the video I seen....that guy
had no clue. ..

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
As the popularity of these machines continues to grow the aftermarket will eventually respond.
...I love capitalism. :)
All up grades for honda
seem to be 700...
p500 has been put in the corner
goggle it.....

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
There didn't seem to be many that much for the 700 when I had it. But I wonder why the
500 would be left out. Seems to be very popular and people spruce them up as much as the others from all I've seen

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
There didn't seem to be many that much for the 700 when I had it. But I wonder why the
500 would be left out. Seems to be very popular and people spruce them up as much as the others from all I've seen
I think it's weird as well. It would be nice to be able to know how many 500's, 700's, and 1000's Honda has sold. You would think the 500 would be selling like crazy due to the low price, but from what I can tell it seems the 1000 is their best seller. I have no solid data to back that up though. I would think the aftermarket would be all over the 500, even more than the 1000. Half the price, so the buyers of the 500 should have more extra cash to throw at mods and upgrades.

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
$.......there's pushing the 1000
p500 want one
your put on a list

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I think it's weird as well. It would be nice to be able to know how many 500's, 700's, and 1000's Honda has sold. You would think the 500 would be selling like crazy due to the low price, but from what I can tell it seems the 1000 is their best seller. I have no solid data to back that up though. I would think the aftermarket would be all over the 500, even more than the 1000. Half the price, so the buyers of the 500 should have more extra cash to throw at mods and upgrades.

Go to honda show room
packed full of dressed out
pic on wall of P500...
with brochure

sthomp54

sthomp54

Jun 11, 2015
Lets face it, the P500 looks a little goofy in stock form, rinky dink tires, tall and narrow appearance from the front. Alot people wont buy it based on how it looks. Now when you add a winch/bumper, bigger tires, rear bed, etc it starts to look pretty good. Honda could have done a little better offering an enhanced package/model, but many people have seen past that and done the upgrades on their own. I think it is going to slowly gain in popularity as more people see the modified ones in action.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Go to honda show room
packed full of dressed out
pic on wall of P500...
with brochure
My dealer has never had a
1000-5 on the floor. They are always presold

S

Sledge

Lets face it, the P500 looks a little goofy in stock form, rinky dink tires, tall and narrow appearance from the front. Alot people wont buy it based on how it looks. Now when you add a winch/bumper, bigger tires, rear bed, etc it starts to look pretty good. Honda could have done a little better offering an enhanced package/model, but many people have seen past that and done the upgrades on their own. I think it is going to slowly gain in popularity as more people see the modified ones in action.
The price brought me in. I needed 50" and a steering wheel, and didn't like Razr or Ace, as I'm not a "sport" rider. I'm a "get where I want to go" rider, and want to be able to carry stuff, including a passenger.

Honda could have added a locker, better tires, storage, bumpers, and who knows what else.

And it would have been a lot more money, and I probably wouldn't have bought one.

Now that I'm in, the $3-500 at a time is relatively painless. :)

And I get to add what I want.

I'm happy.

Joe

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I'll agree with you @sthomp54 I think it's ugly As hell however I've some through here that look damn good! I'm not wanting one for the looks. If I were going to buy a mini for looks I'd buy the rzr570. I want it dependable

Reactions: Montecresto
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!