Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I'm familiar with that area! I grew up there! I'm really wanting to buy used and save just a little hopefully with accessories. I'm not at all against heading to the coast to pick one up but I'm hoping to get some goodies already on one as I've done so much with pioneer my bike and the pickup in 6mts that my better half might cause me to use a bunch of Aflac. She said not till we got rid of the quad but I don't want to be without that second vehicle so if I could find a "good deal" I can't pass up then:)

If you come to the East Coast, we will be riding together! You would want to test it out before you headed back west right?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
If you come to the East Coast, we will be riding together! You would want to test it out before you headed back west right?
Wrong coast:-( Joe id love to ride with you something tells me you be a take no bull**** kick in the ass kind of guy. We would get along fine

Reactions: joeymt33
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
I've grown to expect substandard wheels and tires on any bottom to mid level machine that is typically designed for and marketed toward price-point shoppers. Price-point demographics utilize an entirely different mindset than shoppers who are simply satisfying lust. I've only ever been satisfied with two OEM wheels enough to keep them:

I'm happy with the simplistic yet aesthetically pleasing OEM wheels on my 2013 Rhino Special Edition, but the Dunlop tires were dismal and anemic and I'm much happier with the XTRs.

I'm also really pleased with the OEM 14" wheels that came on my P1000-5D. I like the Bighorns just fine but don't care for how they wear on pavement and will be replacing them as soon as I figure out what I want.

My point in all this is that typically (unless OEM does a great job choosing) I'd rather pay less for a machine and go into it knowing that I'll be upgrading the wheels and tires. I really don't think the P500 sales numbers are due to the OEM wheels/tires; I'm certain that was irrelevant with me. With me it came down to that it lacked a front locker. I can work around any other improvements I'd like to add. I think they kept the 500 basic to appeal more to those who would normally choose a traditional ATV and priced it accordingly.
My youngest two girls are doing just fine on ATVs for now so I'm not in a huge hurry to upgrade them (although they would tell you otherwise) so I'll likely just watch the market for awhile and see what develops. If they (or the aftermarket) releases a front locker at some point this riding season I'll likely pick up two 500s. If they don't I'll likely pick up a pair of late model used Rhinos.

My local dealership in Billings, MT had two 500s, two P1000-5Ds and two P1000-3s in stock but they didn't have one in black (they call it silver) so I ordered and waited.

Reactions: ehart814
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
I aint buying that. Only pulled out once, ONCE!!.
the p500 will go anywhere. You get stuck , you dont know how to drive the thing. Nuff said
Some say "you don't need four wheel drive if you know how to drive a two wheel drive". If you honestly believe that three wheel drive is truly equal to four wheel drive then I have nothing to offer beyond that I'm happy you are happy with your machine.

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnsee
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I aint buying that. Only pulled out once, ONCE!!.
the p500 will go anywhere. You get stuck , you dont know how to drive the thing. Nuff said
Yep, that was my take on it.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Maybe Honda should just sell it without wheels and give us a $300.00 credit toward whatever we want.

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
Maybe Honda should just sell it without wheels and give us a $300.00 credit toward whatever we want.
My local dealer does this, sort of. They sell some of their machines with upgraded wheels/tires at a discounted price and keep the OEM to resell (I'm unsure how much of a discount they give or how much they sell the OEM set for).

Reactions: Montecresto
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Some say "you don't need four wheel drive if you know how to drive a two wheel drive". If you honestly believe that three wheel drive is truly equal to four wheel drive then I have nothing to offer beyond that I'm happy you are happy with your machine.
I'm very happy with my p500
I knew wat I was buying....

MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
I'm very happy with my p500
I knew wat I was buying....
I appreciate that; I really do. Having so many great choices available today is why this segment of power sports is so popular. In this case however, the original poster specifically stated that he would be crawling up steep rocks and that being the case I believe it would be irresponsible to fail to point out the differences in three and four wheel drive. Not everyone needs a locked front end but if your intended usage is steep rocks, having the ability to lock your front end is the smarter choice.

Reactions: teakmtn
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
But we like our P-5's and we don't care, and we still climb right up those rocky trails, no problemo!!!! :)

Reactions: MontanaBighorn
advertisement
rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I appreciate that; I really do. Having so many great choices available today is why this segment of power sports is so popular. In this case however, the original poster specifically stated that he would be crawling up steep rocks and that being the case I believe it would be irresponsible to fail to point out the differences in three and four wheel drive. Not everyone needs a locked front end but if your intended usage is steep rocks, having the ability to lock your front end is the smarter choice.

I agree....

Reactions: MontanaBighorn
ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand

Touché.
I honestly think the tires have made all the difference for me. When I had the factory set on it was a different machine.
As for 3wd, I agree 100% that a locking front diff would be a great improvement.
This is my first, but definitely not my last, ATV. I've learned a few things over the past year. But with that said I have honestly seen some riders who just seem to not know how to approach a situation. I was one of them for a very short time

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
Dude doesn't know how to operate the P-5 yet. Mine would have crawled right up that. In fact, I've been on worse and haven't pulled the winch out yet. I also think it's funny that he put his winch cable around a sapling, lol.
Yea. Weird I thought. Videos don't show steepness well. But I have been up steep stuff in snow even. Only times I've needed my winch because of no locker was bad mud holes

Reactions: Montecresto
Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I have pioneer 500 and 2002 honda forman I would never part with either but I hardly use the atv any more.
ATV
a little faster
more nimble
lighter and easier to push out when stuck
you can use your body to lean into curves
more of a work out on arms thumbs and whole body
horrible in briaers
not fun to roll

p500
Pulls more can drag larger trees
very fun to drive
fast enough for woods and tight trails
pretty nimble but not as good as atv
extra weight and size helps a lot with dragging , hauling etc.
roll cage - very safe
easy on the body.
you can bring a passenger and talk enjoy the ride
cup holders
windshield
roof
radio
lots of lights
protection from branches and especially briaers
a little fun to roll I love getting it on two wheels

Reactions: teakmtn
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Especially after chukar hunting, you're going to appreciate having a bench seat on the way back to the truck!
You are right about that. Used to do a lot of chuckar hunting in the desert back in my younger days when I was stationed at Edwards AFB. Wish I would have had a P500 back then.

Reactions: Tflynn
Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We will be the proud owners of a PK1000-5 today. We already own a Kawasaki 300 Lakota and a Honda 250 Recon. I was thinking about trading off the ATVs and adding a P500 but my wife won't part with her Recon (she wants to trade it for a Recon with electric shift). She also says the four wheelers are too old to sell for much and we should keep them for our adult kids to use up here. If the 2017 P500 has a locker up front we may be revisiting this discussion. Lol. She still rides her Recon everyday. We'll see if that lasts when the PK1000 gets here. We are getting older and the ATVs are not as appealing to me as the S X Ss.

Reactions: Sledge
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
We will be the proud owners of a PK1000-5 today. We already own a Kawasaki 300 Lakota and a Honda 250 Recon. I was thinking about trading off the ATVs and adding a P500 but my wife won't part with her Recon (she wants to trade it for a Recon with electric shift). She also says the four wheelers are too old to sell for much and we should keep them for our adult kids to use up here. If the 2017 P500 has a locker up front we may be revisiting this discussion. Lol. She still rides her Recon everyday. We'll see if that lasts when the PK1000 gets here. We are getting older and the ATVs are not as appealing to me as the S X Ss.
Congratulations! My quad started collecting dust after my 700 came home!

Reactions: joeymt33
MontanaBighorn

MontanaBighorn

May 9, 2016
Billings, MT
CarryGuide.com
We are getting older and the ATVs are not as appealing to me as the S X Ss.
Indeed; I started on go-carts (at 5) and over the years (graduating to dirt bikes, ATCs, ATVs and now SxS) I came full circle. I worry because a motorized scooter now seems inevitable. ;)

S

Sledge

You are right about that. Used to do a lot of chuckar hunting in the desert back in my younger days when I was stationed at Edwards AFB. Wish I would have had a P500 back then.

Chukars are too much fun. My Sally-girl loves chukar hunting, but she's not real good at it, and neither am I.

Hard birds to hunt.

Every chukar I have killed was hard-earned. Far more calories expended than gathered, for sure.

Joe

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 15940

Chukars are too much fun. My Sally-girl loves chukar hunting, but she's not real good at it, and neither am I.

Hard birds to hunt.

Every chukar I have killed was hard-earned. Far more calories expended than gathered, for sure.

Joe
My hunting buddy back then used to say that if you want to hunt chuckars you have to be able to run the 100 yard dash up a mountain in under 4 seconds carrying a 8 pound shotgun. All for one opportunity to shoot and then watch them glide down to the bottom of the hill where you get to do it all over again. Those suckers run six times as far as they fly.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!