P1000 The Making Of Pete

PioneerPete submitted a new Garage Item:

The Making of Pete

View attachment 8943 View attachment 8944 View attachment 8945 View attachment 8946 View attachment 8948
Trying to document Pete's transformation. So far he has a hard roof, popout windshield, warn winch, brushguard, rear fender flares, and pyle 500w tube. Almost forgot the control arm guards. Second battery, isolator, pdm, light bar, and cubes to come next weekend. Damyou @JACKAL !! LOL

Read more about this showcase item here...

Last edited by a moderator:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
pretty sure mine was 11 or 12" stock... but yeah, can do a little with the preload if needed.

11-12" stock? The specs say 14" and that's pretty close to what the white one was when we got it. It actually was slightly over before we added the winch, battery, hard top, windshield, etc.

Yours was probably 11 or 12 inches due to all of the weight that you have added.

The CATVOS arms have lift built in and GC for the red one was ~13" after I changed to the Walker Evans shocks. If it was 13 inches with all the crap that I have added, it probably would've been much more when it was new. I cranked them up where I could pass the bucket challenge at least. It firmed up the ride a little bit so it seems to handle a little bit better the corners

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
11-12" stock? The specs say 14" and that's pretty close to what the white one was when we got it. It actually was slightly over before we added the winch, battery, hard top, windshield, etc.

Yours was probably 11 or 12 inches due to all of the weight that you have added.

The CATVOS arms have lift built in and GC for the red one was ~13" after I changed to the Walker Evans shocks. I cranked them up where I could pass the bucket challenge at least. It firmed up the ride a little bit so it seems to handle a little bit better the corners
your white one is a 3 seater, they have more clearance from the factory. and your 5 seater was never stock!lol you're right about the weight, doesn't take much to sag those stock shocks, and no spring preload is just crap!
Like the engine, the 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000's chassis is incredibly stout. It rides on a fully independent suspension front and rear, and it's double A-arm design offers 10.5 inches of travel up front, 10.0 inches in back and has 12.4 inches of ground clearance (12.9 inches on the 3-seater).

Reactions: sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Yeah. You're right.

I just figured the 14 inches with stock since that's what it measured. I'll go check it again, the white one is still more than what is advertised.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At least you can crank up the preload and take it back up to 14" which is stock.

Let's ride Wednesday not tomorrow!!
got to ride today... I think you called it on the preload... I need another inch in the front and rear both...

where's @JTW to knock this one out of the park for us...?

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I measured the white one today. It's now got dual batteries, hard top, windshield, rear panel, winch, and two table saws in the bed when this measurement was taken. This is the front which is approx 13.25" as it sits with 12psi. Not too bad for stock.

Fe0ca0d47ff537f7e091a2b8f01f2fdc

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
old Pete's got a cargo security solution in the works... something tells me @joeymt33 is gonna want to copy this one too... :rolleyes:

I've been know to copy! The bed extender/camper conversion is so awesome because it's super simple, cheap, light weight, doesn't take bed space, dual purpose as a dinner table or coffee table in the morning, can be used for hauling long pieces of lumber, etc. I'm in love it!

You'll never out do it! But I'm so happy you came up with at least one good idea in your life!

J

JTW

I've been know to copy! The bed extender/camper conversion is so awesome because it's super simple, cheap, light weight, doesn't take bed space, dual purpose as a dinner table or coffee table in the morning, can be used for hauling long pieces of lumber, etc. I'm in love it!

You'll never out do it! But I'm so happy you came up with at least one good idea in your life!
Can you use the back seats with that in?

advertisement
Upstatefreedom

Upstatefreedom

May 25, 2016
Colton,New york
Ownership

1. 1000-3
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
removed the lift kit today and added 1" wheel spacers in the rear... looks like a reduction in ground clearance from 15" down to 12.5 or 13". I haven't been off road yet, but it definitely feels more plush without the lift kit. I'm going for a ride at AMA tomorrow if anyone wants to join. I'll get some pics and report back on performance after the ride.
Pete - are you gonna leave the lift off?

My skids are only about 12" off the ground so I'd like to get some additional lift but I don't think I'll get a full 2 inch from the preload on the Elkas.

So I'm curious about you taking the lift off. Did you try to soften the ride with the shock adjustments or you just dont like the higher center of gravity.

Reactions: Windrock1000
PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Pete - are you gonna leave the lift off?

My skids are only about 12" off the ground so I'd like to get some additional lift but I don't think I'll get a full 2 inch from the preload on the Elkas.

So I'm curious about you taking the lift off. Did you try to soften the ride with the shock adjustments or you just dont like the higher center of gravity.
it was mostly the higher center of gravity that I didn't like. I'm sitting at 13 or 13.5" clearance to the bottom of my skids. I do miss the extra lift, but everything is a tradeoff... I'd rather give up the 2" of clearance and not feel tippy on the extreme side hills.
Once @Delton gets that welder figured out, I'll probably beg him to chop my roll cage down a few inches, which will lower the COG a little more.

Windrock1000

Windrock1000

Move out of the way! I'm lost?
Lifetime Member
Jun 26, 2016
Windrock, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
it was mostly the higher center of gravity that I didn't like. I'm sitting at 13 or 13.5" clearance to the bottom of my skids. I do miss the extra lift, but everything is a tradeoff... I'd rather give up the 2" of clearance and not feel tippy on the extreme side hills.
Once @Delton gets that welder figured out, I'll probably beg him to chop my roll cage down a few inches, which will lower the COG a little more.
Keep the lift and move the batteries down

Reactions: PioneerPete
ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Yeah mine has slowly been shrinking over the past year - every time I do something to it. Now that I'm down to 12" somethings gotta change. When I first put the front Elkas on I could feel the extra 2 inches but wasn't there after the first ride.

Looks like I'm due for a HL kit.

PioneerPete

PioneerPete

Lifetime Member
Jan 3, 2016
Chattanooga, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah mine has slowly been shrinking over the past year - every time I do something to it. Now that I'm down to 12" somethings gotta change. When I first put the front Elkas on I could feel the extra 2 inches but wasn't there after the first ride.

Looks like I'm due for a HL kit.
I ended up running my front spring preload down about an inch, maybe a little more... I'll probably do close to an inch on the back too now that everything as settled in.
Do you have yours installed? did you do a review?

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
I ended up running my front spring preload down about an inch, maybe a little more... I'll probably do close to an inch on the back too now that everything as settled in.
Do you have yours installed? did you do a review?
I just put the fronts on - rears on order.
Wrote something here. P1000 - Elka shocks
I would have started my own build thread if I thought it would come to this but when I started i figured - who would want to read my build if all im gonna do is add a light bar - lol.

Serious though - after the HL kit, i'm done with mods for sure. Probably. Maybe.

advertisement