P1000m5 The Rebuild And Life Of "clutch".

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Wife and I were talking last night and one thing at a time but once a few expenses fall off possibly next Spring we will be looking seriously for this except want a canoe on top. Need shorter tongue though.
We pulled a pop up with our original P700 but that was a little slow going. I’d like to be able to just check out. We don’t need anything fancy just a place to sleep on whatever trail we decide. Us all day long.
39DFCCA0 CEB1 42EA A3E2 FDE5C70B81B4

7A3ED9E2 A309 4306 9CCA 6EFFB5C30441

D4F88C54 5121 4164 B376 0BFC6AD145E5

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Wife and I were talking last night and one thing at a time but once a few expenses fall off possibly next Spring we will be looking seriously for this except want a canoe on top. Need shorter tongue though.
We pulled a pop up with our original P700 but that was a little slow going. I’d like to be able to just check out. We don’t need anything fancy just a place to sleep on whatever trail we decide. Us all day long.
View attachment 91372
View attachment 91374
View attachment 91373

Build a storage box with a rooftop tent.

WAY lighter than 1500#, probably closer to 600 you can do it, you built clutch basket. CHEAPER too.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Build a storage box with a rooftop tent.

WAY lighter than 1500#, probably closer to 600 you can do it, you built clutch basket. CHEAPER too.
It’s actually 1500 pound capacity. I think it sits about 1k. Ya you have point. Have thought about building something mainly because I’d rather independent suspension. I wish I had the tools to do aluminum correctly but material cost has gone up so much I don’t think you could build something without starting with some sort of trailer for cost. Got some time to think and you might be right, other then I don’t like the pop up tents at all, a pain and too much to go wrong plus they aren’t secure. Do me a favor and keep your eyes open for ideas

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s actually 1500 pound capacity. I think it sits about 1k. Ya you have point. Have thought about building something mainly because I’d rather independent suspension. I wish I had the tools to do aluminum correctly but material cost has gone up so much I don’t think you could build something without starting with some sort of trailer for cost. Got some time to think and you might be right, other then I don’t like the pop up tents at all, a pain and too much to go wrong plus they aren’t secure

My daughter is starting to ride around with me more and in an effort to keep her entertained I’ve started to bring my friends and their kids along. We’ve made it about 5hours on the trial run, before the under 5’s we’re ready to go.

5up means no room for anything.

I’ve got factory tires wheels, full set of factory shocks (load leveling so I can get creative) and a stack of steel, this winter I’m making a very light trail trailer to carry a cooler and a little bit of stuff, that has a trailing arm suspension and a DIY 3-axis hitch.

With paint, argon, electricity, and filler rods should cost less than $100.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My daughter is starting to ride around with me more and in an effort to keep her entertained I’ve started to bring my friends and their kids along. We’ve made it about 5hours on the trial run, before the under 5’s we’re ready to go.

5up means no room for anything.

I’ve got factory tires wheels, full set of factory shocks (load leveling so I can get creative) and a stack of steel, this winter I’m making a very light trail trailer to carry a cooler and a little bit of stuff, that has a trailing arm suspension and a DIY 3-axis hitch.

With paint, argon, electricity, and filler rods should cost less than $100.
Man that’s awesome to hear! Bringing family in adds so much and that’s something she’ll never forget. My daughter has been by our side since 4mts in the woods. I love riding with the guys on occasion but I wouldn’t ever give up riding with the family and choose that 95% of the time. It’s even better it you can get multiple families involved there’s just that much more to do. I wouldn’t have bought a Pioneer 1000 if it was just me.
A trailer adds a whole different level where you can be loaded and still carry what’s needed. In the past we’ve just made camp and took off but we want to just take off then make camp. Sounds like what you’re trying to do

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Man that’s awesome to hear! Bringing family in adds so much and that’s something she’ll never forget. My daughter has been by our side since 4mts in the woods. I love riding with the guys on occasion but I wouldn’t ever give up riding with the family and choose that 95% of the time. It’s even better it you can get multiple families involved there’s just that much more to do. I wouldn’t have bought a Pioneer 1000 if it was just me.
A trailer adds a whole different level where you can be loaded and still carry what’s needed. In the past we’ve just made camp and took off but we want to just take off then make camp. Sounds like what you’re trying to do

Maybe later, right now just trying to carry food and sundries for 5 for a day of riding. Adding that much on top of passengers to the Fox has the rear squatting if I put it on a hitch carrier and it finds every rock and pebble on the trail with the rear skid.

Swapping back to the factory load leveling isn’t a quick task. So figured I could make a small trailer just for that. I have enough HDPE I could even make a mostly rain/splash/mud tight box with a big drawer if I chose to spend some money on HD slides.

Haven’t ironed out details yet.

Still back of the napkin at this point.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe later, right now just trying to carry food and sundries for 5 for a day of riding. Adding that much on top of passengers to the Fox has the rear squatting if I put it on a hitch carrier and it finds every rock and pebble on the trail with the rear skid.

Swapping back to the factory load leveling isn’t a quick task. So figured I could make a small trailer just for that. I have enough HDPE I could even make a mostly rain/splash/mud tight box with a big drawer if I chose to spend some money on HD slides.

wwhardware.com will have some of the cheapest drawer slides you will ever come across. You don't need to be in the trade to purchase from them either.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

Full day of riding isn’t too bad at all. Just build a rack that sits past the tailgate while open rather then a fold down. Gives over 3 ft behind the seats with gate down and would get into more then a trailer.

25172912 BD18 481C B414 C5A4D615783A

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Full day of riding isn’t too bad at all. Just build a rack that sits past the tailgate while open rather then a fold down. Gives over 3 ft behind the seats with gate down and would get into more then a trailer.

View attachment 91382

I tried full-size cooler, drinks, food, stuff for the kids, without me in it on level ground the axles were beyond horizontal and angled UP to the hubs. Since I have pre-production models, I am about to try a single spring setup on the fox, that may change the carry capacity but keeping my options open. I'd rather NOT have a trailer. Its something else to build maintain and store, but if it keeps my kid(s) and friends on the trails with me , so be it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I tried full-size cooler, drinks, food, stuff for the kids, without me in it on level ground the axles were beyond horizontal and angled UP to the hubs. Since I have pre-production models, I am about to try a single spring setup on the fox, that may change the carry capacity but keeping my options open. I'd rather NOT have a trailer. Its something else to build maintain and store, but if it keeps my kid(s) and friends on the trails with me , so be it.
We’ve had over 400 pounds of people in ours but that wasn’t fun to drive. I’d say 150-200 was doable. Our cooler full is that and it’s fine. Load cooler up against seats and light stuff out back.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We’ve had over 400 pounds of people in ours but that wasn’t fun to drive. I’d say 150-200 was doable. Our cooler full is that and it’s fine. Load cooler up against seats and light stuff out back.

Full seats and and Orca 75 cooler pushes it beyond what I want weight wise that far back. Handles like crap, slaps its tailend on everything. The rear winch and full rear doors don't help thats an additional 100lbs right there, add in (2) 20-25lb carseats and (2)40-50lbs kids with a 150lbs cooler. its a lot of 300-400lbs of weight without the load leveling and most of it is beyond the rear frame rails so its all on the rear suspension. I figure Ill have a 400lb trailer loaded cooler will be ⅓ of the overall weight if I don't do a drawer, Ill throw a pair of the worn down 30's off machine on there in 6months or so and it ought to roll over stuff a little easier.

I am hoping the different springs will make a difference, just have to see, if the rear shocks were a 10min swap Id just put the load leveling on but its a pain to swap them out.

GlockMeister

GlockMeister

The Bearded Wonder
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 11, 2016
Greenville, Mo
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Full seats and and Orca 75 cooler pushes it beyond what I want weight wise that far back. Handles like crap, slaps its tailend on everything. The rear winch and full rear doors don't help thats an additional 100lbs right there, add in (2) 20-25lb carseats and (2)40-50lbs kids with a 150lbs cooler. its a lot of 300-400lbs of weight without the load leveling and most of it is beyond the rear frame rails so its all on the rear suspension. I figure Ill have a 400lb trailer loaded cooler will be ⅓ of the overall weight if I don't do a drawer, Ill throw a pair of the worn down 30's off machine on there in 6months or so and it ought to roll over stuff a little easier.

I am hoping the different springs will make a difference, just have to see, if the rear shocks were a 10min swap Id just put the load leveling on but its a pain to swap them out.
Someone need to design an airbag suspension..of course air bags and articulation dont always jive

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

If I'm carrying that kind of weight, I'm usually crawling a long with a load of camp fire wood.

Reactions: sharp and BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Got some more speaker housings today. Really working hard to drop upper cage weight but finding it tough for speaker placement. Pulling down our 2 upper Jeep 6 speaker bars seriously drops weight but kills off great placement. Not ready to get rid of our 4-6.5 Infinity’s but the 8 tweeters can easily find lower placement.
Ordered the SSV Works floor mount enclosures but they just sucked up too much space on the footrest I so like so they went back.
As we all know options are minimal in the 1000. Back doors can accept 6.5 low down but loose a lot of quality muffled by passengers and will loose everything with rear seats down. Placement behind rear seats is crap and front of box restricts seat or bed use.
F8DB94FC E1F4 49F9 BF9B AD38AD74F577

So...s*** back up top. We never take roof off because it’s important to rub trees even hot out so these will be perm mount to the roof in optimum placement. These pods are as light and small as I could find for a real sized speaker. It’s a pretty good weight saver and still much lighter then aluminum all in one bar. We run a big Boss bar in the Yami but upper weight isn’t a concern in that. Pissed I’m back up top with weight but it did drop a little and sound quality is still premium. Will use insulation in the housings to increase quality but these do have more airspace then prior.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!