P1000m5 The Rebuild And Life Of "clutch".

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well I pulled the trigger just now on new springs for Clutch. Too late now order is in with a shop here in town. Gave me a super price and will have them ready in about 2 weeks.
Weights and lengths
F5EF758A 11B2 425A 87CF 9D14AE42C999

After talking with @Ragnar406 @snuffnwhisky @ohanacreek @joeymt33 & @GlockMeister kinda came up with a plan for my own machine. Thank you for your time. Pretty excited
Clutch is used loaded down at times so it’s been difficult for me to put a stamp on what might be the best setup.
Going to be sprung as light as I think can get by with for just wife and I, yet hopefully be able to handle a full house. Went with factory lengths. Hopefully numbers right, not exactly setting up a dirt bike lol.
Was nice having such good feedback by people that have spent some time on their own setup. Thanks so much guys!

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Well I pulled the trigger just now on new springs for Clutch. Too late now order is in with a shop here in town. Gave me a super price and will have them ready in about 2 weeks.
Weights and lengths View attachment 159176
After talking with @Ragnar406 @snuffnwhisky @ohanacreek @joeymt33 & @GlockMeister kinda came up with a plan for my own machine. Thank you for your time. Pretty excited
Clutch is used loaded down at times so it’s been difficult for me to put a stamp on what might be the best setup.
Going to be sprung as light as I think can get by with for just wife and I, yet hopefully be able to handle a full house. Went with factory lengths. Hopefully numbers right, not exactly setting up a dirt bike lol.
Was nice having such good feedback by people that have spent some time on their own setup. Thanks so much guys!
You will like your new springs. @GlockMeister and @Ragnar406 helped me with choosing the right springs for my foxes and I couldn’t be happier. A worth while investment and I’m grateful for there help. I also need to thank @Cuoutdoors for noticing the problem I was having like you and suggesting to look at a spring change. You’ll be happy and I look forward to seeing them on your machine good luck.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Very good day today. @popeye invited to his sons bday party weekend. Could only make it for a bit today but was nice seeing everyone again.
Gave me a hell of a deal on a second set of wheels and a bunch of tires for the Pioneer and brought back his bad ass build box/spare tire carrier for one friend and full enclosure for another.
F208BB59 C95D 4999 A573 F76CFEE6680C

Also got to spend a little time driving the Talon today. Unfortunately it was in the dunes which I just don’t like but sure like the machine.
Originally he’d talked about letting my daughter drive but she chose not to. She said it was someone else’s rig that she hadn’t drove and an area she wasn’t use to so I understand. Me on the other hand appreciated the seat time. Wife and daughter both enjoyed the machine. Had fun thanks my friend!
95A40F5B 021D 403B A43D 6925946420F6

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Very good day today. @popeye invited to his sons bday party weekend. Could only make it for a bit today but was nice seeing everyone again.
Gave me a hell of a deal on a second set of wheels and a bunch of tires for the Pioneer and brought back his bad ass build box/spare tire carrier for one friend and full enclosure for another.
View attachment 159603
Also got to spend a little time driving the Talon today. Unfortunately it was in the dunes which I just don’t like but sure like the machine.
Originally he’d talked about letting my daughter drive but she chose not to. She said it was someone else’s rig that she hadn’t drove and an area she wasn’t use to so I understand. Me on the other hand appreciated the seat time. Wife and daughter both enjoyed the machine. Had fun thanks my friend!
View attachment 159602
That's awesome sounds like a great day

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
View attachment 159603
View attachment 159602
Hell of a haul;)

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Weights and lengths View attachment 159176
Might want to ask others with the foxes if there was any preload on the springs with the nuts backed all the way off. If there was, your springs might be long and add lift without any preload. I know on my elkas, 14" spring length is the max. The foxes had a little more room though without having to use a spring compressor to get them on at 14" long.

Reactions: Mopower58 and BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Might want to ask others with the foxes if there was any preload on the springs with the nuts backed all the way off. If there was, your springs might be long and add lift without any preload. I know on my elkas, 14" spring length is the max. The foxes had a little more room though without having to use a spring compressor to get them on at 14" long.

I can’t remember but either the front or rear needs just a little help compressing the spring to get them on. No tools just an extra set of hands.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Yep, think it was the fronts.
When talking to @Ragnar406 he said about an inch in front and 2 in rear. I hear what you’re asking for sure. Had kinda figured that in because of the loss of the dual rate making them settle less. Should be just slightly stiffer only because of spring rate near top then his setup cranked down a little. Had considered running exact same numbers with just longer spring too.
Wanted as much spring as possible, I do think it’ll be a little smoother though the stroke because it feels like you’ll be asking less of the springs. If not aesthetics should be good.

Is there anyone running towards the top on the 14” spring?

Last edited:
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Spring length doesnt matter as long as they dont coil bind under full compression. A 12" long spring is fine also. A 12" or 14" long spring at the same rate will have the same ride height when the top nut is ran down to touch the spring. OEM sometimes uses a longer spring and requires a spring compressor to install with the nuts all the way up with a progressive spring. Best way to know is jack the rig up and measure the total spring length from bottom saddle to the bottom side of the top nut adjusted all the way up. You dont want the spring any longer than that in most cases.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
FWIW I had to use a compressor to take my rear springs off and to get the new ones on. I believe the fronts will come free with the nut all the way up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When talking to @Ragnar406 he said about an inch in front and 2 in rear. I hear what you’re asking for sure. Had kinda figured that in because of the loss of the dual rate making them settle less. Should be just slightly stiffer only because of spring rate near top then his setup cranked down a little. Had considered running exact same numbers with just longer spring too.
Wanted as much spring as possible, I do think it’ll be a little smoother though the stroke because it feels like you’ll be asking less of the springs. If not aesthetics should be good.

Is there anyone running towards the top on the 14” spring?
I know either my front or my rears the turn nut had to be turned down to snug up the spring. Also for me and @GlockMeister we have the preload in ours so that we can have close to the same ride height as we had when we had the lift on. I am actually little shorter than when I had the lift but not by much.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
FWIW I had to use a compressor to take my rear springs off and to get the new ones on. I believe the fronts will come free with the nut all the way up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
How screwed down are your rears?

Reactions: BWAF and Mopower58

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!