P500 Torq locker install

T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
I installed the locker a couple of days ago. After watching vids and reading the instructions I tried something different. This procedure has probably already been done but I couldn't find any other post with a quick search. So here goes. Removed the driver side upper shock bolt. And drivers side lower A arm bolts from frame. Pulled outward on the drivers tire which allowed me to pop the drivers axle out. Removed the 4x4 cable and switch wire. Then I removed bolts securing diff. Pulled the diff forward to clear the rear bracket, then moved diff towards driver side. This allowed me to remove passenger axle without touching anything on the passenger side. This worked for me and saved alot of time. I didn't even remove the wheels. This may be an option for future locker installers that feel intimidated removing the entire suspension or just dont need to. The only disadvantage I see is not being able to disassembled and inspect/lube the suspension/brake components. Hope this helps
20181226 143752
20181226 111738

T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Great thinking! This would be my preferred installation method, sometime down the road. I'm all about the KISS method... Thanks!
Thanks, I thought I knew all the acronyms. Never heard of the KISS method

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

I installed the locker a couple of days ago. After watching vids and reading the instructions I tried something different. This procedure has probably already been done but I couldn't find any other post with a quick search. So here goes. Removed the driver side upper shock bolt. And drivers side lower A arm bolts from frame. Pulled outward on the drivers tire which allowed me to pop the drivers axle out. Removed the 4x4 cable and switch wire. Then I removed bolts securing diff. Pulled the diff forward to clear the rear bracket, then moved diff towards driver side. This allowed me to remove passenger axle without touching anything on the passenger side. This worked for me and saved alot of time. I didn't even remove the wheels. This may be an option for future locker installers that feel intimidated removing the entire suspension or just dont need to. The only disadvantage I see is not being able to disassembled and inspect/lube the suspension/brake components. Hope this helpsView attachment 99432 View attachment 99434
Good thinking , did it go back together fairly simple ?

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Good thinking, might be a good comment on AMR you tube video to let others decide how to do it. Wonder if removing the passenger side instead would be helpful to give some room to the 4wd shift lever cable. Heres a post to link to prior thread for future searchers, lots of good discussion including install questions.
P500 - Torq-Masters torq locker feedback

Last edited:
T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Good thinking, might be a good comment on AMR you tube video to let others decide how to do it. Wonder if removing the passenger side instead would be helpful to give some room to the 4wd shift lever cable. Heres a post to link to prior thread for future searchers, lots of good discussion including install questions.
P500 - Torq-Masters torq locker feedback
Thanks Mudder, the 4x4 cable was easy to get to from the bottom. The reason I went the way I did is because the diff is offset to the passenger side giving lots of room to move it towards the drivers side to disengage the passenger side axle. I dont think it has enough room to go the opposite way. But I didn't try it. It might work. check out the bottom pic of how it is offset to the passenger side.

Reactions: Mudder
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I like it, I’m going to try it this way thanks;)

Reactions: TJoffroad
T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
How long did this method take to do?
After taking the winch/front bumper off, I'd say around 1/2 hour to remove the front diff. That's including lots of b/s ing. Maybe a 1/2 hour installing the locker into the front diff. And maybe an hour reinstalling everything. So it probably took me 2--3 hours total including cleaning and inspecting. If I was to do it again I'd say I could do it in half the time. I wasn't in a hurry. I enjoy spending time with my dad so I hauled the 500 to his house to do the job and spend some quality time with him. Just 3 suspension bolts two diff mounting bolts. I also used a ratchet strap to hold up the drivers wheel out of the way. Super easy job. Hole this helps

Reactions: dllj and Mudder
M

mdavenpo

Jan 28, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I ordered a locker yesterday. I watched the AMR youtube video and read through the online install manual and am wondering which method is the tried & true. This method looks less intimidating.

Btw, my machine only has 4 miles on it, so no need to tear down more than necessary to inspect. If anyone in SE Michigan wants to stop by and lend a hand... :)

Mark

T

TJoffroad

Dec 14, 2018
Snow Camp NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
I ordered a locker yesterday. I watched the AMR youtube video and read through the online install manual and am wondering which method is the tried & true. This method looks less intimidating.

Btw, my machine only has 4 miles on it, so no need to tear down more than necessary to inspect. If anyone in SE Michigan wants to stop by and lend a hand... :)

Mark
Hi Mark, congrats on your P5 purchase. Ive put around 500 miles on my 500 since the locker Install with no issues at all. If I had it to do over I would do the same procedure. Good luck with your install.
Tony

Reactions: Chooglin
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

Mark
Remember to Pull Off the electrical sensor cable off on the drivers side, don’t twist by turning nut.

M

mdavenpo

Jan 28, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks guys for taking the time to reply, I will give this method a go. BTW, I also ordered power steering as well, Going to do a dual install.
Installs should be interesting.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!