P500 Trail plowing question

Mandryk

Mandryk

Jan 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Hello All,
I am new to the Forum and armed with enough knowledge from this site to purchase a P500.
I currently have an older ATV (1990 Fourtrax 350 ATV - owned since new, still running original tires) where I enjoy the slow nature and ability to get through tight areas.
I have trails that I would like to plow.....let's call it "skim some excess snow" off the trail so my family can walk to a small toboggan area. As I have never owned a plow blade or a winch I am wondering if this is possible.
I believe the plows are designed to rest on the pucks on the ground while pushing.
If I ride along with the blade 6" off the ground will I be able to move snow or will it destroy the winch or other items?
thanks,
Mandryk - Ontario, Canada

monaco

monaco

Vendor
Lifetime Member
Nov 18, 2016
Indiana
bit.ly
Ownership

1. 500
It'll be tough, they're really designed to push snow on even ground. Width might be a problem, and possibly hanging up on tree roots, stones, or whatever you have around. Depends on the trail of course. But, if you have it far enough up off the ground, and sufficient width between obstacles, you should be fine for moving top layers of snow.

ncred02

ncred02

Jul 16, 2015
Raleigh NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
seems like you would need something flexible enough to take a rock or a root but rigid enough to move the snow. Sounds like a DIY project

Reactions: monaco
QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
Hello All,
I am new to the Forum and armed with enough knowledge from this site to purchase a P500.
I currently have an older ATV (1990 Fourtrax 350 ATV - owned since new, still running original tires) where I enjoy the slow nature and ability to get through tight areas.
I have trails that I would like to plow.....let's call it "skim some excess snow" off the trail so my family can walk to a small toboggan area. As I have never owned a plow blade or a winch I am wondering if this is possible.
I believe the plows are designed to rest on the pucks on the ground while pushing.
If I ride along with the blade 6" off the ground will I be able to move snow or will it destroy the winch or other items?
thanks,

I always plow some trails around my house with my quad and a 60" plow, I also have a hill in my backyard that I plow snow run berms up with. I leave the plow up a little bit without an issue. Practice makes perfect. You'll figure it out.

Reactions: monaco
QuadMan747

QuadMan747

Nov 7, 2016
Connecticut
www.cccmx.com
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Other Brand
This is my back lawn, can't find a picture of the runs I create for sledding. But you can see I leave some snow there on trails headed for the woods.

20150208 161353

Mandryk

Mandryk

Jan 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
This is my back lawn, can't find a picture of the runs I create for sledding. But you can see I leave some snow there on trails headed for the woods.

View attachment 30421
QuadMan, that's exactly what I am looking to do.
I figure I need to be very aware of what is at my trail edge (stumps etc) but was not sure if pushing snow with the winch holding the blade up would be an issue.
Will be much nicer having 6" of snow vs 2.5ft on the trail and it will need to be a routine thing.

I am keen to get a winch. I got my ATV stuck in a low spot trying to break through a trail I have yet to clear. I kept sinking deeper so finally did the shameful hike back to the garage for a shovel and after 90min of shovelling the ATV was mobile again but I was not.

Thanks for all the responses.
Cheers!

Reactions: QuadMan747
Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Hello All,
thanks,
I would recommend running the stretch without the plow a few times to ensure traction. Once the trail is broken angle the blade as high as you can and run down the trail and back up then repeat while lowering the blade until desired depth is reached! It will be fine on your rig! May need to park it in a heated garage afterward as it will be packed with snow;)

Reactions: QuadMan747
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hello All,
thanks,

I've plowed with the blade slightly raised as I have a stone driveway. Skids work fine after ground is frozen but, if not, you're pushing stone.
Just keep it up a bit and you'll be fine.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I agree with @trigger just pick it up a little, I plow a lot of area that one normally wouldn't( they don't call NH the grantie state for nothing) plow just to have a place to walk my dogs. Some of it has tree stumps cut as closse to the ground as possible (but still stick up enough the catch the plow) and tree roots, I just pick the plow up a little and go reall slow if your worried about hitting anything.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Drag a pallet...with weight
on it...hit something hard
could tweak your plow/ front end
Works great...
& it works...
only after tweaking a plow
did I do this...
have to make more passes
...but no damage & always fun
to ride

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
When you get a P500 highly recommend the KFI product line for winch mount and 66" plough. Really strong, I'm very impressed with this gear. I opted for a Superwinch Terra 3500 and put synthetic line on it, very robust and the line is wicked strong. Just finished my farm property 7 hours ploughing, this machine is no toy! If you plough lots I'd recommend a second battery, with battery isolator on it then hook winch to auxilliary battery. The wear replaceable blade on the cutting edge must be hardened steel. Went to clean up a few burrs with a 60 grit flapper disc using my 4.5" grinder and it wouldn't mark the blade, was shocked how tough the cutting edge is.

In respect to trail ploughing just go slow and watch for limbs, roots and keep an eye out for keerap getting in the cab with you. Again this thing is no tow and a small diameter tree top snag poking in the cab will cause you significant harm. Best bet is to clear the path and adjacent area on side of path in a snow free time of sticks, logs and limbs. With a bit of practise you will be impressed how this unit will move snow.

j

Reactions: Seg and trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
When you get a P500 highly recommend the KFI product line for winch mount and 66" plough. Really strong, I'm very impressed with this gear. I opted for a Superwinch Terra 3500 and put synthetic line on it, very robust and the line is wicked strong. Just finished my farm property 7 hours ploughing, this machine is no toy! If you plough lots I'd recommend a second battery, with battery isolator on it then hook winch to auxilliary battery. The wear replaceable blade on the cutting edge must be hardened steel. Went to clean up a few burrs with a 60 grit flapper disc using my 4.5" grinder and it wouldn't mark the blade, was shocked how tough the cutting edge is.

In respect to trail ploughing just go slow and watch for limbs, roots and keep an eye out for keerap getting in the cab with you. Again this thing is no tow and a small diameter tree top snag poking in the cab will cause you significant harm. Best bet is to clear the path and adjacent area on side of path in a snow free time of sticks, logs and limbs. With a bit of practise you will be impressed how this unit will move snow.

j

That's the same plow set up I have and I'm real happy with it. Very well built.
Keep in mind, if you're going slow and do snag a stump, the blade will just tip out.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
That's the same plow set up I have and I'm real happy with it. Very well built.
Keep in mind, if you're going slow and do snag a stump, the blade will just tip out.

Triggers correct for sure, the plough is spring loaded so if you hook the cutting edge on something significant it will tip over and pop back up once free. Also make sure you check the bolts especially mounting plate to P5 periodically. Mine where a little loose from all the abuse I've given it lately. The KFI bolts are all nylock nuts, again quality gear. It was just the bottom two metric P5 plate bolts that came a little loose, these two take the brunt of plough forces and should be checked once in a while.

Happily ploughing on!

j

Reactions: trigger
Mandryk

Mandryk

Jan 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you all for the advice.
I am very excited to get the new machine and begin plowing.

Question on blade width:
I was considering a 60" plow so that I am not so wide when angled in the trail.
Is the 60" a smart choice or is the 66" a better width when angled?

It's currently -29C here so the old atv stays in the garage on days like today.
The lab and I are walking the trails but when you walk in a deep tire rut it reminds me of how the supermodels walk...one foot directly in front of the other. I am not a supermodel nor am I able to walk like one...
I will be finding a good pallet and giving that a try. Super low cost and I had not thought of it.
Thanks again.

Reactions: rocmar
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500

Question on blade width:

The lab and I are walking the trails but when you walk in a deep tire rut it reminds me of how the supermodels walk...one foot directly in front of the other. I am not a supermodel nor am I able to walk like one...
I will be finding a good pallet and giving that a try. Super low cost and I had not thought of it.
Thanks again.

opted for snowshoes.... the runway strut without heels (i.e., in feltpacks) is tough and hurts my gluts and calves, plus it's un-manly (least here in BC), as it chaffs my inner none stick thighs against my wool pants... get the 66" much more strut room!

So to 60 or 66" I remember pondering this and 72" as well. At some point you'll wanna get aftermaket tires and rims, for improved traction (and stability as a by product). I went with 5-2 offset rims and 26" by 11" by 12" dia tire in all corners to make it easier to rotate for tire wear. And for me the 66" is ideal, it loads in my old "96 powerstroke shortbox extracab backwards and the blade is not too wide. Angled it covers my wheel tracks and is great in tight quarter. Straight blade it's a brute pushing snow, angled it's good too, just keep in mind it wants to deflect when the snow windrow gets big. I'm really pleased with the KFI products supper robust and build quality it top drawer.

Happy strutting and at -29C you can get that skinny starved, dehydrated look in no time, just dress light.

Smooth runway walking At balmy -10 in BC...

Cheers,

j

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500

Question on blade width:

Thanks again.

Make sure...you weight it down
...I used concrete blocks
....tied um down with straps
.. my buddy uses firewood
slow works best...
bundle up...good luck

Seg

Seg

Feb 18, 2016
Notre-Dame de la Salette, Qc, Canada
Ownership

1. 500

Question on blade width:

Thanks again.

I have a 66' seems to be a perfect fit if you ask me...Click'n Go2 is the one I have...

Reactions: trigger
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Make sure...you weight it down
...I used concrete blocks
....tied um down with straps
.. my buddy uses firewood
slow works best...
bundle up...good luck

Been using that homemade drag for years. Seems like a pallet wouldn't hold up very long though, always used an old bed spring or chain link fence gate. Adding cinder blocks will definitely help it dig. I bought a drag harrow from TS last year, little pricey but gives you three drag options and works great on the stone driveway.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!