P500 Trailer Question

I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hello everybody,
I'm strongly considering a P500 and have a question about trailers. I currently have a Triton flatbed trailer that is 79" wide by 104" long. Honda specs say the pioneer is 102" long. Would you guys feel comfortable carrying the P500 on this small of a trailer? The trailer has e track installed and would use wheel bonnets, which IMHO is the safest and most secure method of strapping down. I've never had my quads move an inch using this.

Thanks!

Reactions: sharp
R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome from SC!

I do not have my truck with me today...but I have a 2500 HD with reg bed on it and I haul mine in the back of my truck...I have to have my tailgate down and have JUST enough room there to place my ramps. If you do not any info before I can get back to my truck...I will measure and let you know where I am at on my length.

Reactions: sharp
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome from SC!

I do not have my truck with me today...but I have a 2500 HD with reg bed on it and I haul mine in the back of my truck...I have to have my tailgate down and have JUST enough room there to place my ramps. If you do not any info before I can get back to my truck...I will measure and let you know where I am at on my length.

Most manufacturers have the dimensions listed on the internet. Just have to search for your specific model.

I was looking at a 350/3500 to carry my 1000 in the bed but the tailgate opening is under 61” wide and my 1000 isn’t.

Reactions: R-Lamm
R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Most manufacturers have the dimensions listed on the internet. Just have to search for your specific model.

I was looking at a 350/3500 to carry my 1000 in the bed but the tailgate opening is under 61” wide and my 1000 isn’t.
Yeah...I could look into the length of the bed...but I am not what it would be with the tailgate down...including the inch or two allowed at the swivel portion if you will. And it takes EVERY BIT of those inches! I am pretty sure the specs will not include the OAL with the tailgate down!

Reactions: ohanacreek
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Hello everybody,
I'm strongly considering a P500 and have a question about trailers. I currently have a Triton flatbed trailer that is 79" wide by 104" long. Honda specs say the pioneer is 102" long. Would you guys feel comfortable carrying the P500 on this small of a trailer? The trailer has e track installed and would use wheel bonnets, which IMHO is the safest and most secure method of strapping down. I've never had my quads move an inch using this.

Thanks!
If the trailer has those worthless itty bitty wheels do not even consider it.

Reactions: rocmar
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
Go with at least a 10' trailer if you can so that you have a little control to manage tongue weight. You'll also want a minimum 2000lbs rating. You can get away with a lot if you're just going 10 miles or so locally, but not if you plan on going any distance. I've got a 5x10x3000lbs aluminum trailer with 15" tires. It's been problem free for around 10,000 miles of travel so far. I go between Illinois and Montana, about 3000 miles round trip hunting. Given that I put new tires on every other year too just to be safe and carry a spare hub all greased up and ready to go.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Why not, it would be well below the payload of 1500 lbs?
If they are 12" wheels those things are really moving at highway speed, most are speed rated at 55-65. Put a load on and it's just a matter of time before you have an issue. If you never go over those speeds you will get away with it longer. Check the sidewall some of kthe better tires will have a speed stamp on them.

I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
If they are 12" wheels those things are really moving at highway speed, most are speed rated at 55-65. Put a load on and it's just a matter of time before you have an issue. If you never go over those speeds you will get away with it longer. Check the sidewall some of kthe better tires will have a speed stamp on them.
The tires are 18.5x8, same tires they have been using for years on snowmobile trailers and trailers similar to mine. I'll look into the speed rating.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I deliberately looked for a trailer that took 15" tires knowing I'd be doing long hauls. My buddy regularly takes his snowmobiles 350 miles north to Wisconsin every year and as he says on at least one leg of the trip he's either replacing a tire, hub or both every year. Those 8" tires don't like long trips.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Physically, the 500 will fit on the trailer. What is the payload rating on the trailer and what is the tongue weight rating?
Your 500 weighs a lot more than your 4 wheeler.

BTW: the bonnets are an excellent way to secure it.

I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Physically, the 500 will fit on the trailer. What is the payload rating on the trailer and what is the tongue weight rating?
Your 500 weighs a lot more than your 4 wheeler.

BTW: the bonnets are an excellent way to secure it.

Payload is 1520 lbs and tongue weight is 132 to 188 lbs.

R-Lamm

R-Lamm

Lifetime Member
Sep 27, 2017
South Carolina
Ownership

1. 500
Payload is 1520 lbs and tongue weight is 132 to 188 lbs.
I am going to back the rest of the gang on this one...I would be afraid of doing a whole lot of hauling on that trailer with the P500...by the time you add your accessories, fuel, extra fuel, lights, roof, box....etc....I would want a little more assurance that it will be safe the whole trip! If you just haul to your neighbors...no big deal...but hauling it around a good bit at any distance....I would not be able to relax the whole trip! o_O

I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Well thanks for all the replies guys. Most likely the trailer is slightly inadequate. If I decide to get the 500 I'll use it to get her home and evaluate how it goes, most likely I'll upgrade trailers.

Reactions: R-Lamm and elkguide
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
FWIW, brought mine home from the dealer on an old 5' x 8' snowmobile trailer with 8" wheels. It was about a 1.5 hr haul, I made it, 1 strap was broken. I knew I needed another trailer after that trip though. 5.5' x 10' TSC special. Once a year you can get them for a grand.

Reactions: R-Lamm
Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Another option; Depending on how the trailer is made, you might strengthen it.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
If you decide on a new trailer you may want to consider enclosed.

I have a 6 x 12 Lark trailer with a 6” taller roof that I bought to move from Michigan to Alabama.
Inside dimensions are 11'-4" L (13'-2" to V-nose) x 5'-8" W x 6'-6" H - Door is 5'-3" W x 6'-0-1/2" H.

I told the Honda salesman I’d purchase the P5 if it fit in my already owned enclosed trailer. The 2017 fits fine, open trailer side access door, fold in side mirrors, drive in forward, set brake, exit through passenger side and side access door of trailer..
Tie down on 4 corners and your done. My trailer is single axle, and my VW Touareg pulls it just fine at 75+ MPH.
I also like the “Out of sight, out of mind” concept when towing the P500, especially if you stop somewhere for the night.
IMG 4938 IMG 4940

I

IttyBittyFitty

Dec 19, 2017
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand
If you decide on a new trailer you may want to consider enclosed.

I have a 6 x 12 Lark trailer with a 6” taller roof that I bought to move from Michigan to Alabama.
Inside dimensions are 11'-4" L (13'-2" to V-nose) x 5'-8" W x 6'-6" H - Door is 5'-3" W x 6'-0-1/2" H.

I told the Honda salesman I’d purchase the P5 if it fit in my already owned enclosed trailer. The 2017 fits fine, open trailer side access door, fold in side mirrors, drive in forward, set brake, exit through passenger side and side access door of trailer..
Tie down on 4 corners and your done. My trailer is single axle, and my VW Touareg pulls it just fine at 75+ MPH.
I also like the “Out of sight, out of mind” concept when towing the P500, especially if you stop somewhere for the night.
View attachment 60190 View attachment 60191

Nice trailer Dubbs. Looks like it was made for the 500. How is the riding down in Bama as compared to MI?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!