P1000 Trailer tie down

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I have Erickson chocks and straps that were placed for an ATV. I am planning to move them to fit the new Pioneer. Before I do, I am considering using etrack because of simplicity of loading.

Is there specific weight limits I should be looking for? For instance Harbor Freight sells them in 5ft sections for what seems like reasonable pricing but not sure about how it's rated.

Any ideas??

Reactions: Biteme
J

jajohn00

Nov 16, 2018
US
I have Erickson chocks and straps that were placed for an ATV. I am planning to move them to fit the new Pioneer. Before I do, I am considering using etrack because of simplicity of loading.

Is there specific weight limits I should be looking for? For instance Harbor Freight sells them in 5ft sections for what seems like reasonable pricing but not sure about how it's rated.

Any ideas??
Read my post just above. I used 2 sets of Erickson chocks set up two positions for the rear tires.
I used 4 of the 5ft E-track sections from Harbor Freight because I had a $15 coupon.
I also bought 2 of the Erickson E-track chocks from Amazon for the front tires.
Because I only use one of the Erickson chocks at a time that leaves me with a set of tire straps to use on the front in conjunction with the Erickson E-track chocks
I then use a set of Erickson 8314 3500 lb. E-Track Adjustable Tire Basket Strap with Cam Buckle and Ratchet for the front tires over the tire straps.
Yup I was accused of overkill. LOL
But I would highly recommend the E-track system. Works great.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Read my post just above. I used 2 sets of Erickson chocks set up two positions for the rear tires.
I used 4 of the 5ft E-track sections from Harbor Freight because I had a $15 coupon.
I also bought 2 of the Erickson E-track chocks from Amazon for the front tires.
Because I only use one of the Erickson chocks at a time that leaves me with a set of tire straps to use on the front in conjunction with the Erickson E-track chocks
I then use a set of Erickson 8314 3500 lb. E-Track Adjustable Tire Basket Strap with Cam Buckle and Ratchet for the front tires over the tire straps.
Yup I was accused of overkill. LOL
But I would highly recommend the E-track system. Works great.

Overkill is good, although I might overkill the etrack mounting but will just stick with the erickson straps and not worry about the webs and chocks as well lol. Thanks for the info man

J

jajohn00

Nov 16, 2018
US

Any ideas??
Looking at your question again, I would recommend NOT using any E-track length shorter than 5ft on your pioneer. Just my humble opinion.

8ball929

May 31, 2020
Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looking at your question again, I would recommend NOT using any E-track length shorter than 5ft on your pioneer. Just my humble opinion.

The longer the better. Can't tell in that picture I posted above with my RZR but I actually used 10' sections and I welded the ends together to make them the full length of the garage lol. Think of it like this when your trying to pull something up. You always pull at the ends. Once the end comes up the rest goes easier. Ideally you would want both tires sitting on one solid piece if possible. That's why I said check with local trailer places they will sell it in atleast 10' sections. No shipping you just toss it in the back of the truck.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500

J

jajohn00

Nov 16, 2018
US
The longer the better. Can't tell in that picture I posted above with my RZR but I actually used 10' sections and I welded the ends together to make them the full length of the garage lol. Think of it like this when your trying to pull something up. You always pull at the ends. Once the end comes up the rest goes easier. Ideally you would want both tires sitting on one solid piece if possible. That's why I said check with local trailer places they will sell it in atleast 10' sections. No shipping you just toss it in the back of the truck.
Oh great. Now I have to weld my E-track sections together when I get home. LOL
Just one more thing to add to my "overkill" list!

B

buzzbait

Feb 4, 2021
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What is the best way to tie down my 1000-5 on the trailer. Also have a concern, should the SXS be in Park when tied down.?? Thinking about a shock load on Parking mechanism in trans. Almost wish there was an emergency brake lever ...Yes, I know there are those who will forget the brake is on...Can't fix stupid..
Good question, I just purchased a new 1000 and strapped the front over the bumper and back over roll bar. Pulled down both down pretty hard with 2" straps and they came loose. Front one just had to be retightened, had to re-tie rear strap over the receiver hitch and straps stayed hooked. I guess it's the combination of soft suspension and flexible tires make it hard to hold. Be interested to hear how others do it.

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Good question, I just purchased a new 1000 and strapped the front over the bumper and back over roll bar. Pulled down both down pretty hard with 2" straps and they came loose. Front one just had to be retightened, had to re-tie rear strap over the receiver hitch and straps stayed hooked. I guess it's the combination of soft suspension and flexible tires make it hard to hold. Be interested to hear how others do it.

I cant imagine ever going back to ratchet straps. Been using this system for years on different ATVs and the Pioneer without issue. Some folks put on all 4 wheels for added security, but this works great as it sits. Incredibly easy on and off and the mule dont move an inch.

Here's the link Amazon.com: Erickson 09160 Wheel Chock Tie-Down Kit: Automotive

20201019 135416

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don't believe in trying to suck the suspension down tight, there's always going to be a G-out that compresses it further resulting in the suspension's rebound slamming against the now loose straps. So I just want to locate the SxS front to rear and side to side. Tying high on the trailer lessens suspension compression but secures its position. Due to different load situations (day rides or extended trips with gear) I want to be able to move the SxS forward or backward as needed. This is how I did mine. I tow in neutral to keep the minimal rocking from loading the parking pawl.

Since I didn't want to scratch my new trailer with steel hooks, I used 3' axle straps at each corner.

Front - (Home Depot straps @18 a pair but made in china)
I FQTBrtr XL

I nL52bzQ XL

Rear - (dealership straps @ $48 a pair :oops: )
I VKT8cPQ XL

Last edited:
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Why 5' or 8' sections instead of 10'?
10’ section is EXPENSIVE compared to (2) 5’ sections, they make up for the free shipping on that one. 8’ is as long as you can go.

the 2’ precut sections are expensive compared to cutting an 8’ section into 4 pieces.

I am about to buy another 100’ of Etrack and doing it in 8’ sections will save me almost $100 compared to 10’ the short pieces of waste I’ll put on the walls of the trailer to give me places to tie down different things

Fast Dawg

Fast Dawg

Jun 16, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just bought a 1000 3 Deluxe. When I picked it up at the dealer they helped me tie it down to my utility trailer with two ratchet straps - one through the front grill guard and the other looped around the frame in the rear. I towed it 75 miles to my house with no problems. The next weekend I was towing it to a event and strapped it down the same way. I stopped on the way and as I was walking back to my truck I noticed my Pioneer had moved on the trailer. The front strap had come loose - I think that was my fault - and the back strap broke. I took the front strap and ran it from the tie down point at the front of the trailer through the cab and back to the front tie down point on the trailer. It held the rest of the way and back home too.

I've been reading that I shouldn't limit the suspension from moving when towing it and I get that. I don't want to bolt on the Erickson system because I will be using the trailer for other things. What do you folks think about these?

RHINO USA Ratchet Straps Tie Down Kit, 5,208 Break Strength - Includes (4) Heavy Duty 1.6" x 8' Ratchet Tiedowns with Padded Handles & Coated Chromoly S Hooks + (4) Soft Loop Tie-Downs​

I plan to use all four and strap them to the frame so the suspension can move while I'm towing it.

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I just bought a 1000 3 Deluxe. When I picked it up at the dealer they helped me tie it down to my utility trailer with two ratchet straps - one through the front grill guard and the other looped around the frame in the rear. I towed it 75 miles to my house with no problems. The next weekend I was towing it to a event and strapped it down the same way. I stopped on the way and as I was walking back to my truck I noticed my Pioneer had moved on the trailer. The front strap had come loose - I think that was my fault - and the back strap broke. I took the front strap and ran it from the tie down point at the front of the trailer through the cab and back to the front tie down point on the trailer. It held the rest of the way and back home too.

I've been reading that I shouldn't limit the suspension from moving when towing it and I get that. I don't want to bolt on the Erickson system because I will be using the trailer for other things. What do you folks think about these?

RHINO USA Ratchet Straps Tie Down Kit, 5,208 Break Strength - Includes (4) Heavy Duty 1.6" x 8' Ratchet Tiedowns with Padded Handles & Coated Chromoly S Hooks + (4) Soft Loop Tie-Downs​

I plan to use all four and strap them to the frame so the suspension can move while I'm towing it.

Those will work about like any ratchet straps and will probably do fine for you. Back when I still used straps, I would always tie off the same and sometimes I would get a loose strap and other times I would run 500 miles and never move an inch. No rhyme or reason that I could figure out.

Here's the amazon link to the straps you're referencing https://www.amazon.com/USA-Ratchet-Straps-Motorcycle-Strength/dp/B07JWDYNP7?tag=sxsweb24-20

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5

FYI….If you think Rhino USA is made in America you would be wrong.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
FYI….If you think Rhino USA is made in America you would be wrong.
Son of a b****!!! :mad:

I googled 'where are rhino usa straps made' and got this -
All of the Rhino USA products are designed and engineered in the USA but for most if not all of their products, they are manufactured in China. Even though their products are made in China, they still perform, and that’s what matters most. Rhino USA makes products that simply deliver.

Since that's the case, Home Depot has china straps for $8.97 a pair and they're 2" x 27' with a break rating of 10,000 lbs. You can see them in the first 2 photos in post #52. My hooks are cad plated not black like shown in this link.

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Son of a b****!!! :mad:

I googled 'where are rhino usa straps made' and got this -
All of the Rhino USA products are designed and engineered in the USA but for most if not all of their products, they are manufactured in China. Even though their products are made in China, they still perform, and that’s what matters most. Rhino USA makes products that simply deliver.

Since that's the case, Home Depot has china straps for $8.97 a pair and they're 2" x 27' with a break rating of 10,000 lbs. You can see them in the first 2 photos in post #52. My hooks are cad plated not black like shown in this link.
Sorry. I don't like to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't like to see people get taken advantage of over bogus marketing either.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Rhino straps and knew they were made in China, hence being 60% cheaper then MACS, they are ok but I doubt I’d buy again, I think the ratchet mechanism will be their weak point.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!