P1000 Trailer tie down

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just bought a 1000 3 Deluxe. When I picked it up at the dealer they helped me tie it down to my utility trailer with two ratchet straps - one through the front grill guard and the other looped around the frame in the rear. I towed it 75 miles to my house with no problems. The next weekend I was towing it to a event and strapped it down the same way. I stopped on the way and as I was walking back to my truck I noticed my Pioneer had moved on the trailer. The front strap had come loose - I think that was my fault - and the back strap broke. I took the front strap and ran it from the tie down point at the front of the trailer through the cab and back to the front tie down point on the trailer. It held the rest of the way and back home too.

I've been reading that I shouldn't limit the suspension from moving when towing it and I get that. I don't want to bolt on the Erickson system because I will be using the trailer for other things. What do you folks think about these?

RHINO USA Ratchet Straps Tie Down Kit, 5,208 Break Strength - Includes (4) Heavy Duty 1.6" x 8' Ratchet Tiedowns with Padded Handles & Coated Chromoly S Hooks + (4) Soft Loop Tie-Downs​

I plan to use all four and strap them to the frame so the suspension can move while I'm towing it.
Fastdog ... I also use four straps to the frame/bumpers, rhinos, AND a fifth strap straight back to the receiver which is there to help with a sudden deceleration. I can also use the fifth extra strap as a spare for the main four straps. Be sure to watch the straps while driving. Any change means pull over and re tighten. My straps stretch a bit on the road. Also safety anything on the rig. I use a cable lock to secure the accessories. I remove the lock on site and reuse the cable lock on my 11 foot ramps.

Have fun customizing your rig!

Jeff

Fast Dawg

Fast Dawg

Jun 16, 2021
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Fastdog ... I also use four straps to the frame/bumpers, rhinos, AND a fifth strap straight back to the receiver which is there to help with a sudden deceleration. I can also use the fifth extra strap as a spare for the main four straps. Be sure to watch the straps while driving. Any change means pull over and re tighten. My straps stretch a bit on the road. Also safety anything on the rig. I use a cable lock to secure the accessories. I remove the lock on site and reuse the cable lock on my 11 foot ramps.

Have fun customizing your rig!

Jeff

Jeff - thanks for the positive response. If Rhino is having these straps made in China to reduce cost for consumers in the U.S., and they are one of the best rated straps on the market, welcome to capitalism in the U.S.! Don't get me wrong - I love "Made in the USA" products.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Jeff - thanks for the positive response. If Rhino is having these straps made in China to reduce cost for consumers in the U.S., and they are one of the best rated straps on the market, welcome to capitalism in the U.S.! Don't get me wrong - I love "Made in the USA" products.
Not sure if they are one of the best but they are better then you’ll get at your local box store.

J

JAL

Nov 22, 2020
Medford, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My set came with loops and velcro ties. I vaguely remember ordering extra loops. I use loops at each anchor point.

Last edited:
cbsander

cbsander

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Put down my e-tracks a couple weekends ago. Used four 8' powder coated rails. Had to shave off about .5" off of one from each side.

Through bolted with grade 8 hardware through the boards as well as the steel crossmembers. I'm pretty sure I'll get the rated break strength of the tracks before they pull out of the trailer.

Also got my straps in last week. Had them custom make the tire bonnets and just put the etrack clip on the end intead of the hook. I'm sure that limits my portability of using the straps elsewhere. But it sure makes it easy on this trailer.

Now I just need to find time to take it out to ride...

IMG 01783
IMG 01763

livefromthetree

livefromthetree

It was a damn good ride. Seriously good.
Supporting Member
Jun 4, 2020
Mount Vernon Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Put down my e-tracks a couple weekends ago. Used four 8' powder coated rails. Had to shave off about .5" off of one from each side.

Through bolted with grade 8 hardware through the boards as well as the steel crossmembers. I'm pretty sure I'll get the rated break strength of the tracks before they pull out of the trailer.

Also got my straps in last week. Had them custom make the tire bonnets and just put the etrack clip on the end intead of the hook. I'm sure that limits my portability of using the straps elsewhere. But it sure makes it easy on this trailer.

Now I just need to find time to take it out to ride...

View attachment 279135View attachment 279136

Looks good and no more messing with ratchets.

One thing...I had a trailering expert kinda sorta guy tell me to clip into my etrack as close to the tire as possible so that the strap is straight down from the tire instead of extended outward. He may have been saying it from truth or belief, but I went with it with no issues since then 😅

Reactions: Biteme and ChadD
cbsander

cbsander

Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2020
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Looks good and no more messing with ratchets.

One thing...I had a trailering expert kinda sorta guy tell me to clip into my etrack as close to the tire as possible so that the strap is straight down from the tire instead of extended outward. He may have been saying it from truth or belief, but I went with it with no issues since then 😅
Thanks for catching that! I'll bring them in tighter.

Did they mention the thought process behind that? Do the clips have more strength against a stress going straight up as opposed to at an angle?

Reactions: Biteme and ChadD
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for catching that! I'll bring them in tighter.

Did they mention the thought process behind that? Do the clips have more strength against a stress going straight up as opposed to at an angle?
I don't think there's anything wrong with the slight angle yours are fastened. My mind's eye is picturing how easy a box will push flat once the ends are opened. If the opposing sides were angled outward it would be much less likely to flatten.

/ \ is less likely to push over than | |

Reactions: Biteme and JenElio
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't think there's anything wrong with the slight angle yours are fastened. My mind's eye is picturing how easy a box will push flat once the ends are opened. If the opposing sides were angled outward it would be much less likely to flatten.

/ \ is less likely to push over than | |
At first blush I can see why one might think the angled strap is just as good or maybe even better. But think of it this way. On the angled strap installation, /O\, as the wheel tries to move to the left, the left side strap actually tends to loosen while the right side strap takes up all the load. That is not the case when the straps are vertical front and rear of the wheel, |O|. Now, as the wheel tries to move to the left, both straps stay tensioned roughly an equal amount and share the load.

Muleyhunter

Muleyhunter

Lifetime Member
Apr 19, 2018
Lake Kiowa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hmmm, I wonder why the manual shows tieing down from the rear ROPS and front bumper, basically compressing the suspension. That’s how I’ve tied down for 10+ 1200 mile trips. While I haven’t had any problem, these posts have me rethinking that. Also, I didn’t see many comments addressing the OP questions about leaving in park. Any thoughts on that?

• Sad
Reactions: Biteme and StewB
Muleyhunter

Muleyhunter

Lifetime Member
Apr 19, 2018
Lake Kiowa, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Here are the ratchet straps I use. They’re called shock straps. They have a urethane link in them that takes all the shocks and have never had a problem with straps coming undone with these. Very pleased with them although pricey.

Reactions: Biteme and CID
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Hmmm, I wonder why the manual shows tieing down from the rear ROPS and front bumper, basically compressing the suspension. That’s how I’ve tied down for 10+ 1200 mile trips. While I haven’t had any problem, these posts have me rethinking that. Also, I didn’t see many comments addressing the OP questions about leaving in park. Any thoughts on that?
I'm sure if some one from honda came on here and posted how to tie down a SxS (or what oil to use) they would be shouted down by experts who know better (based on there experience with a few vehicles gently kept in primo condition in a heated garage and only driven a few hundred miles a year).

Put it in park, the wheels being locked will reduce the tendency for the vehicle to walk around.
Also, I don't think the manual says to compress the suspension.
The straps are shown attached low on the frame and spaced out from the frame.
The flatter the straps the more the vehicle will be allowed to float.
The straps are controlling or limiting the side to side and fore aft movment.
If the SxS moves up and down a little it's ok.

This is how I haul my vehicle (in a climat controled enclosed trailer only to be taken out to dry groomed trails 😁 ).

CRob8348

CRob8348

Dec 12, 2019
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have the Mac's straps as well and while I know they are more expensive that most, I want my machine to stay with me as I go down the road. They work very well and I have not had any issues.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ive always hauled in park. I strap from the frame to the trailer two straps front and two on rear thousands of miles on a trailer like this and ive had no issues. The only pics i have with this thing strapped to the trailer pretty well suck to show placement but there are oval slots in the front frame between the control arms and the rear seaction by the hitch has two spots to hook on the bottom.

20200921 173324 IMG950522

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Please, everyone, take a step back and think about the bumps and worst-case problem you're trying to prevent.
We strap our machines to the trailer so they don't fall off and (here's the big one) so they don't join us in the passenger seat if we rear end or head on someone in an accident.

Trailers universally have bad suspension because they're too stiff (expecting heavy) or too soft (expecting light). So your trailer is going to give your machine a 1,600# bounce everywhere you drive. Go ahead and tighten it down against the machine's suspension, there's still going to be a big bounce.

Best case is to strap your tires to the trailer bed, like elocks. Next to best is to tie it down on the A arms and right below the suspension. Let the machine's suspension bounce it while the wheels stay down.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Please, everyone, take a step back and think about the bumps and worst-case problem you're trying to prevent.
We strap our machines to the trailer so they don't fall off and (here's the big one) so they don't join us in the passenger seat if we rear end or head on someone in an accident.

Trailers universally have bad suspension because they're too stiff (expecting heavy) or too soft (expecting light). So your trailer is going to give your machine a 1,600# bounce everywhere you drive. Go ahead and tighten it down against the machine's suspension, there's still going to be a big bounce.

Best case is to strap your tires to the trailer bed, like elocks. Next to best is to tie it down on the A arms and right below the suspension. Let the machine's suspension bounce it while the wheels stay down.
I agree. I think to many people worry about strapping them down literally and not thinking of strapping them to keep them on the trailer if s*** goes bad. If i have to strap down i have problems with bounce loosening straps when strapped to the far corners of the trailer it just stays put. I have been in the collision like youre talking about and was lucky we only had one strap fail on the back of my brothers buggy that hit me and one break on the front of mine. Neither machine moved an inch even breaking one strap on each. I also use straps rated for more than the total weight of the machine. I think the ones i have now are 3300lb working load or so they're advised. The straps that broke were rated 2200lb and they did the job but broke.

20190708 084440 20190708 071306

Prntckt

Prntckt

Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2020
Altoona, WI
Ownership

1. Talon X4
What is the best way to tie down my 1000-5 on the trailer. Also have a concern, should the SXS be in Park when tied down.?? Thinking about a shock load on Parking mechanism in trans. Almost wish there was an emergency brake lever ...Yes, I know there are those who will forget the brake is on...Can't fix stupid..
I installed a Hillbilly brake and lock the brakes with it when hauling my P1000-3 on a trailer.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!