Calendar Trek the Mighty Mac [Sep 28, 2018] (Saint Ignace, MI)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3748
  • Start date
tr005

tr005

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2017
Big Rapids, Mi.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You could, it's a bit of a trip from the bridge though. Silver Lake Sand Dunes, right on Lake Michigan. Baldwin trail system is right there as well and I've heard they are the best trails in the state.
Just be wary around Baldwin. A guy I work with went there last year and they got on a wrong trail, cost them $150 fine each. 8 machines.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
Not sure if it's still in effect, but about 12 years ago at Silver Lake Dunes the first hill from the gate used to be the test, if you couldn't make it up it, you couldn't get to the rest of the area. That would be a drag after waiting in line for hours. Maybe someone that's been there recently can chime in.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Not sure if it's still in effect, but about 12 years ago at Silver Lake Dunes the first hill from the gate used to be the test, if you couldn't make it up it, you couldn't get to the rest of the area. That would be a drag after waiting in line for hours. Maybe someone that's been there recently can chime in.
It still holds true!
It is mainly cuz after that, there is quite a very large steep hill that is an absolute bastard if you can’t make it or get stuck on the way up! Dam near 70 degree angle or more in spots. Tall too! Flipped my Banshee once I reached the top one time.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Silver Lake is OK...ish.... if you go before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. Anytime in between isn't worth the wait. It's full of buggies, pre-runner trucks, race quads. I went there a few times years ago when we lived in W-MI, wouldn't bother doing it again....and "Test Hill" is just the name of the first hill you come to. I've never heard of having to "make it up or you don't get in".

As far as Baldwin/Wolf Lake/Irons.... trails are nice but tight and heavily patrolled. The Lake Co Sheriff's dept has the reputation of not being ORV friendly and will come down hard for the slightest infraction.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Silver Lake is OK...ish.... if you go before Memorial Day or after Labor Day. Anytime in between isn't worth the wait. It's full of buggies, pre-runner trucks, race quads. I went there a few times years ago when we lived in W-MI, wouldn't bother doing it again....and "Test Hill" is just the name of the first hill you come to. I've never heard of having to "make it up or you don't get in".

As far as Baldwin/Wolf Lake/Irons.... trails are nice but tight and heavily patrolled. The Lake Co Sheriff's dept has the reputation of not being ORV friendly and will come down hard for the slightest infraction.

Good to know. I will definitely have to read up a bit before I decide to make the trip.

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
Apparently I MUST have misunderstood what the lady said. It sounded like she said ...... riding across that bridge was the coolest thing ever ............ REALLY???
I think she might be part of the event committee judging by her vest. But having been across that bridge at least 4 dozen times, i have to say, it is pretty cool in a car and I’m looking forward to crossing in the Pioneer. The deck height at center span is 200 feet above the water. BTW, in September 1989 a Yugo was blown off the bridge resulting in the drivers death, due to weather it took several days to recover the car and her body.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
From the Wikipedia.....

Two vehicles have fallen off the bridge.

• On September 22, 1989, Leslie Ann Pluhar died when her 1987 Yugo plunged over the 36-inch-high (91 cm) railing. A combination of high winds and excessive speed was initially blamed.[29] Later investigation showed the driver had stopped her car over the open steel grating on the bridge's span and that a gust of wind through the grating blew her vehicle off the bridge,[30] although this is not supported by recorded wind speed measurements taken on and around the bridge at the time of the accident.[31][32]
  • On March 2, 1997, Richard Alan Daraban drove a 1996 Ford Bronco over the edge. It was later determined to be a suicide.[33]

DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
From the Wikipedia.....

Two vehicles have fallen off the bridge.

• On September 22, 1989, Leslie Ann Pluhar died when her 1987 Yugo plunged over the 36-inch-high (91 cm) railing. A combination of high winds and excessive speed was initially blamed.[29] Later investigation showed the driver had stopped her car over the open steel grating on the bridge's span and that a gust of wind through the grating blew her vehicle off the bridge,[30] although this is not supported by recorded wind speed measurements taken on and around the bridge at the time of the accident.[31][32]
  • On March 2, 1997, Richard Alan Daraban drove a 1996 Ford Bronco over the edge. It was later determined to be a suicide.[33]
I wasn’t sure about the suicide in 97, but I was sure about the Yugo.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I told my cousins from Kentucky about that bridge and the constant adjustments they are making every day. they thought it was no big deal just another bridge till they finally came up and went across, that changed there mind real quick! and said they couldn't believe the size. there are reasons why they shut that puppy down during certain weather. I remember that Yugo accident too! lol stupid car.

D

Deleted member 3748

There's a sign near the Mackinac bridge that compares it to the puny Golden Gate bridge.

DSCN6479

DSCN6478

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think she might be part of the event committee judging by her vest. But having been across that bridge at least 4 dozen times, i have to say, it is pretty cool in a car and I’m looking forward to crossing in the Pioneer. The deck height at center span is 200 feet above the water. BTW, in September 1989 a Yugo was blown off the bridge resulting in the drivers death, due to weather it took several days to recover the car and her body.
I guess I am not so easily impressed with such things. Cars go off bridges fairly regular. I have known of several die from going off the 26 mile long Ponchatrain Causeway. I remember once a car went off the I-59 bridge over the Pearl River, when it was flooded. It was too dangerous for divers and had to leave it there several weeks until the river calmed down before getting the bodies out. Regardless of the splendor of the bridge, when it comes to 'coolest thing ever' when speaking of riding SxS, nothing to do with being on a highway, comes up as cool to me, esp riding in a huge group at a slow, steady, boring speed..... but that is just me.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I guess I am not so easily impressed with such things. Cars go off bridges fairly regular. I have known of several die from going off the 26 mile long Ponchatrain Causeway. I remember once a car went off the I-59 bridge over the Pearl River, when it was flooded. It was too dangerous for divers and had to leave it there several weeks until the river calmed down before getting the bodies out. Regardless of the splendor of the bridge, when it comes to 'coolest thing ever' when speaking of riding SxS, nothing to do with being on a highway, comes up as cool to me, esp riding in a huge group at a slow, steady, boring speed..... but that is just me.

I see what your saying...I think a lot of what she was Alluding to is the whole experience/build up/pomp and circumstance and the trail ride aftwords. There were over 500 hundred machines parked beforehand in a large staging area, with some great patriotic activities before we ride through Mackinaw city then to the bridge, many people lined in the streets and cars are stopped by the State police just so you can have your time and be on the big stage. The sheer thrill of the wind changing and hitting you in the face as you go over the streights of Mackinaw are enough to take Michiganders and the likes breath away. Being able to see Mackinaw Island and a large Oil freighter going beneath you,being able to really see every dietal in of the ship threw the Greats in the bridges platform not as you can in a car is like no other. Sure we like to go fast,
53FB5832 BE5D 4F5B A274 A6DC4D3F5447
F234BA0A D0FC 429D 9E33 0932793DD3E9
we can average 35mph on our trails but some of the sights that Michigan has to offer like going across the Mac is quite an expieance.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@Remington im sold on the idea.
Sounds like somthing i should do once at least.
Not this year but soon.

Reactions: Remington

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!