P1000_DLux

Its Only an Opinion Relax
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 17, 2020
Belfair, WA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just bought a 2020 Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe (silver) I have read through the manual and been reading a lot about all the setups/issues/add-ons...great stuff on this Forum.

What in the world is turf mode for/do? What application would I use it on, please don't reply grass or turf field, maybe more of an explanation of what it does. Thanks.

Mostly drive around on the trails, little mud. First service this week, just broke in the 100 miles.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
2WD locks the rear differential so it's like a straight axle.
Turf mode disengages the rear locker so you can turn a tight circle with out the inside tire spinning/tearing up the turf.

I run Turf mode most of the time, only when I need more traction do I remove it from turf mode.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So for general driving I should be in turf like 90 percent of the time. Is it bad to use 2WD most of the time?
There is nothing wrong with using 2wd, the negative is when you turn sharp the inside tire will dig. I hardly ever use 2wd, my 1000-5 will go places in turf mode that I had to use 4wd in my 700-4. Again, nothing wrong with using 2wd, just not necessary.

Napaul

Napaul

Apr 7, 2018
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is nothing wrong with using 2wd, the negative is when you turn sharp the inside tire will dig. I hardly ever use 2wd, my 1000-5 will go places in turf mode that I had to use 4wd in my 700-4. Again, nothing wrong with using 2wd, just not necessary.

What he said. This thing has went through some stuff in turf mode that surprised me. You’ll also save some strain/wear and tear on your axles by using turf mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The turf mode was one of the key things I wanted when I upgraded from my 700. As they have said 2wd locks the rear shafts together and the 700 is all time 2wd. We use our riggo to run around our little town and the locked rear was a pain on the paved roads. I would find myself taking big turns to keep the tires from wearing and grabbing so bad. We had about a 1000 miles on it before we wore out the front tires. The turf mode is definetly a great upgraded feature. We have about 2000 miles on our 1000 and the tires look brand new.

advertisement
Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The turf mode was one of the key things I wanted when I upgraded from my 700. As they have said 2wd locks the rear shafts together and the 700 is all time 2wd. We use our riggo to run around our little town and the locked rear was a pain on the paved roads. I would find myself taking big turns to keep the tires from wearing and grabbing so bad. We had about a 1000 miles on it before we wore out the front tires. The turf mode is definetly a great upgraded feature. We have about 2000 miles on our 1000 and the tires look brand new.

Ditto

Reactions: Rick53 and JenElio
B

BBLASER

Nov 11, 2018
Phoenix
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I am going to try and piggy back my question on this thread. Seems like a lot of you guys know a lot about turf mode. Do you think it puts extra stress on the axle and such of the one tire that is pushing the entire vehicle. I have a buddy who thinks it can be a bad thing when climbing or spinning your rear tire and then it catches.

Reactions: JenElio and Isaiah
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I am going to try and piggy back my question on this thread. Seems like a lot of you guys know a lot about turf mode. Do you think it puts extra stress on the axle and such of the one tire that is pushing the entire vehicle. I have a buddy who thinks it can be a bad thing when climbing or spinning your rear tire and then it catches.
I only run turf mode on blacktop and around the house. Once I hit gravel/dirt I go 4x4. I never run 2wd anymore. I hardly ever use my brakes, I'm constantly downshifting when I foresee that I need to slow down. I'd rather have both ends of my machine holding back than just the rear. I'm not saying I'm right, or it's the only way to do it. It's just how I do it. I've got 3800 miles on it now and I got 2900 miles out of my 1st set of brakes. I only ride blacktop to get to the trails from my house.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I don't know if I'm right, but atleast for the type of riding I do, we leave it in turf mode 90% of the time. Like I said we ride alot of pavement, so when we first got our 1000 we would use turf in town and then 4wd when we hit the gravel. I got tired of forgetting to change it back when we get back in town so we just leave it in turf. To me it puts alot of strain on the drive when turning on pavement with the locked rear end. You don't notice it too much with the powersteering on the 1000 but on the 700 without it you sure notice the strain. I always thought I was going to break an axle turning and I think if it would/could have broke something it would have then. Under normal riding I think you will be fine. If I do feel a need to get a little more traction, I usually skip 2wd and go straight to 4wd. The turf mode has really impressed me at it capability.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In turf mode, both rear wheels/axles are propelling the machine forward with the identical torque force. The differential, being unlocked, will allow one wheel/axle to turn faster than the other, but the torque exerted is always identical. If you drop one rear tire in a sinkhole and it completely loses traction, the same theory applies...the rear axles experience the identical torque load (practically zero), therefore the machine stops moving and the tire with no traction spins. 2WD mode "locks" the rear axles together so that even if one tire completely loses traction, the machine continues to move because all of the torque is carried by the one rear axle/tire WITH traction.

Last edited:

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I guess what I'm saying is, if you're on any surface that is slippery, boggy, inclined, rutted, or deeply pot-holed, you may want to use 2WD. Any asphalt, dry level dirt, concrete, Better Homes & Gardens quality front lawn etc that your tires have a lot of traction on, you should use turf mode for tire/joint/lawn preservation. Hope this helps.

R

rickoshea

0nce i hit the trails i put it in 2wd (when i remember) just because of the way i drive.i like powersliding around turns and when i see mud puddles i drop the hammer.i rarely take the go-arounds.

Isaiah

Isaiah

Dec 30, 2019
Altamont TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
0nce i hit the trails i put it in 2wd (when i remember) just because of the way i drive.i like powersliding around turns and when i see mud puddles i drop the hammer.i rarely take the go-arounds.

Me to;)

Reactions: JenElio
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!