BOX1

P1000m5 Walker Evans Review - Honda Pioneer 1000 test run!

M

Madore128

Mar 28, 2016
Ma
Are the shocks set up enough to hit whoops an rocks at a fast past an not feel like the pioneer is going to breakinhalf?

Reactions: pct and joeymt33
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
To answer the above two questions, when we build a new stock replacement shock we look for any little gain we can get and that sometimes includes extending the length of the shock, extending the travel of the machine but not at the sacrifice of putting parts in a bind or allowing the frame to slam the ground. The OE works hard to find the limits so there isn't large gains to be made in travel and ground clearance without making other sacrifices but we do look for areas we can improve. Ride comfort and bottom resistance is always what we try to improve which is relatively easy for us since our technology is much greater than what the OE installs as production.

We set our base setting around a stock vehicle and know that will work for most but not all customers. That is why we ask questions about accessories added, type of riding and the normal number of passengers carried.

The one thing you all need to remember is the leveling feature, while it is a very cool feature it has absolutely zero effect on performance and bottoming resistance. In basic terms it is just a fluid transfer system built into multiple cavities to keep your Pioneer level.

I have said this before to another member, we will sell just the fronts if you like so we will be waiting to assist you all whether it is for two or four shocks.
Do these have rebound and damping adjustments

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I think they will soon. But I'll be interested in OEM and aftermarket. I just want to see some more entries in the market and drive some competition in price and features.

I've bought a lot of things in the past just to sell it and buy the next best thing. That's too expensive and I don't need shocks. I just want them badly.

Example, I bought a P700 and put several thousand into accessories and then sold it in less than a year to buy the P1000. I'm going to show patience (hopefully) for the shock upgrade and see what happens over the next few months.

I'll have to pull a @Delton here and quote myself. This was a all the way back in July when I had a had a hunch. Boom! I was just winging it but it worked out that I did predict the future. Now it's time for that lottery thing to work out. ✌️

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'll have to pull a @Delton here and quote myself. This was a all the way back in July when I had a had a hunch. Boom! I was just winging it but it worked out that I did predict the future. Now it's time for that lottery thing to work out. ✌️
Omg I've ruined Joey!!!! Guess maybe I'd better stay home today lol

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They do not. At least the set I'm trying out doesn't.
That is actually probably a good thing (from a safety point of view). Too much adjustments and you're gonna have idiots screwing with them so much they make their rigs dangerous to drive over rough terrain.

Reactions: Tigermark
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is actually probably a good thing (from a safety point of view). Too much adjustments and you're gonna have idiots screwing with them so much they make their rigs dangerous to drive over rough terrain.
I had a Fox twin clicker on my drag bike. Extremely adjustable shock but easy for a novice to ruin. It took me several trips to the track to get it set up right, but when I did it worked perfectly. Stock bikes would spin like crazy on poorly prepped tracks, but I'd just soften compression a little and slow rebound, and I'd stick like glue.

Reactions: joeymt33
H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
HondaSXS I have never seen shocks with the remote reservoir mounted with reservoir mounted to the A-arm. Can't they be reversed with the reservoir mounted up on the frame.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm probably the least interested person on this forum (except for maybe Don, but he doesn't like anything lol), but I took a ride with Joey today and I gotta tell ya....I was more than a little impressed. We immediately jumped into a stock 1000 and the difference was unreal. Compared to Joey's, the stocker's suspension was skittish and very busy. Joey's stayed planted the entire time. Granted there was a big weight difference but the improvement couldn't be denied. I just may have to look into a set one day. Soon as I win the lotto lol.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HondaSXS I have never seen shocks with the remote reservoir mounted with reservoir mounted to the A-arm. Can't they be reversed with the reservoir mounted up on the frame.
I agree, but with the brackets supplies that was the only round bar in that area I could see to mount. I have them off currently. I will be looking at it again when I remount.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm probably the least interested person on this forum (except for maybe Don, but he doesn't like anything lol), but I took a ride with Joey today and I gotta tell ya....I was more than a little impressed. We immediately jumped into a stock 1000 and the difference was unreal. Compared to Joey's, the stocker's suspension was skittish and very busy. Joey's stayed planted the entire time. Granted there was a big weight difference but the improvement couldn't be denied. I just may have to look into a set one day. Soon as I win the lotto lol.
I'm shocked by @Delton and his comments, as we were just talking about this while on Mary's Ridge. They must really be good for him to make such positive comments... Makes me consider them fo sure.

What is the price??

Reactions: joeymt33 and sharp
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm shocked by @Delton and his comments, as we were just talking about this while on Mary's Ridge. They must really be good for him to make such positive comments... Makes me consider them fo sure.

What is the price??
What can I say? I'm a hard sale lol. Might want to mention we were hauling butt pretty good. At slow speeds like I normally ride, not sure if there's be that big of a difference. I'd like to see a rebound adjustment too. Maybe future versions will. And no WE didn't pay me for the endorsement lol. Y'all know me better than that.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

I thought the same thing but after playing around with it, I noticed how the reservoir when mounted to something static would allow the hose to be constantly moving. Maybe it's ok just like a brake line but the hose is stiff. When mounted to the arm nothing moves independently but all together.

Heck, I don't what way is best.

Reactions: sharp and AKRider
Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I thought the same thing but after playing around with it, I noticed how the reservoir when mounted to something static would allow the hose to be constantly moving. Maybe it's ok just like a brake line but the hose is stiff. When mounted to the arm nothing moves independently but all together.

That is a clean install Joey. Personally I'd be perfectly fine with it. Loved how a compression adjustment was felt immediately. Didn't have to bounce it a few times to feel a difference.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Makes sense to me.

Reactions: sharp and joeymt33
Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you get your hands on that hondasxs sticker on your hood? I would put one on my machine

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How did you get your hands on that hondasxs sticker on your hood? I would put one on my machine
Check on the forum. @Hondasxs has a link for requesting them. Merry Christmas @Jimmyscoin.

Bam85

Bam85

Feb 7, 2017
California
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Unfortunately my driver side rear started leaking on it's first run. Walker Evans is sending me a new one though. Great customer service.
17156350 10209932232800934 385023716443383647 n

Reactions: sharp
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Maybe its the camera angle but your shocks look like they are upsidedown. Look at the pictures in the 1st post.

That's how they mount in the rear of the vehicle. I know it's upside down but at least the shaft is more protected from rock dings.

Reactions: Tigermark and sharp
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!