BOX1

P1000m5 Walker Evans Review - Honda Pioneer 1000 test run!

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Wierd? How so. Many off road vehicles use limit straps...from crawlers to race trucks. It affords them longer travel. Greater travel is a bonus for a short travel machine like ours.

Limit Straps: Why Your 4x4 Suspension Will Benefit
Good information. I have 814 with limit straps but didnt know all that. Some good points that seem to make sense. I just added them because I was told I needed to since the shocks provided more travel than the CV's could handle without them

THEOLDMAN

THEOLDMAN

Lifetime Member
Apr 4, 2018
Washington, North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 18252

Finally received my package from @WalkerEvansRacing. Upon opening it I was excited to finally get them and eager to get them installed and put to the test. I have never run a set of aftermarket shocks in all my years of owning a dozen ATV's, a Pioneer 700, and now the Pioneer 1000. I just didn't think changing out the shocks could make a worthy difference. Man, was I wrong.
View attachment 18163

The Pioneer 1000 came with a slightly better set of shocks than its 700 brother. Though it was an improvement it still was not enough to eliminate the hard bottoming out most of us have felt when hitting a hard bump. The "thump" you hear and feel is not a pleasant feeling and honestly, you expected better from a $17k rig.

Enter Walker Evans Racing to deliver a solution!
After a fairly straight forward installation, it was off to Carolina Adventure World to give them a few days of testing. First off we noticed a slightly improved stance. Breaking out our measure we found about an inch improvement over factory.
View attachment 18251 View attachment 18229 View attachment 18231

Finally, we arrived, unloaded and straight to the speed track for a few loops. The Pioneer 1000, armed with the Walker Evans Shocks was AWESOME! Though the track was fairly smooth it handled amazingly around each turn. The ride and braking around each turn was super smooth. I could already tell the rest of the weekend was going to be "thump" free.

After a few hours of trail riding, we headed back for lunch and to pick up a buddy. But before we could I had to get some rounds on the Enduro Cross track. Here I just knew I would be able to find the bottom of the shocks and after a few warm up laps I was ready. Tried my best to push it but my lack of familiarity was holding me back. Even still, I was sure the bottom was there to be found. But... No. The shocks worked great soaking up each bump along the way.

After lunch, we hit the trail hoping the wind would cut the heat. Overall speed seem to work as it was cooler cruising along then sitting still. After some time I ran across a nice jump. Hit it hard to see if I could find a bottom. NOPE! after I landed, I said to myself, WOW. That was a smooth landing, lets do that again. So we did. Someone decided to get creative with the camera. lol. But did a great job catching the landing.

Later that day we headed to the rock crawl section which is always a blast. Both the 1000 and the 700 tackled it with ease. The Walker Evans shocks did a great job helping flex over the rocks. I have to say I am totally impressed.

Overall I was very impressed with these shocks. Though I tried my best, I could not find bottom like the factory shocks did. The felt great the whole weekend and recommend them to anyone looking to improve the suspension of there Pioneer 1000!

That was pretty impressive footage. Looked like the ride was pretty good also.

D

DDDonkey

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 29, 2017
AZ
Has anyone run the WE shocks with a bracket lift like HL? I am still torn on what shocks to run, I don't really need to have all the adjustments I just want something better than stock. Maybe I am thinking too much it is just a lot of money, and I need something to work with my current set up, SATV arms front and rear with the HL kit.

WE is $1600
Fox is $14-1500
Elka stage 1 is $1200
stage 2 is $1300
Stage 3 front and stage 2 rear is $1600
Viking 814 is $1200?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Hondasxs did the 1 inch you originally gained in ground clearance, hold up after 3 yrs?
This question is irrilivent as it depends on the preload position.
My original was stright out of the box. I have adjusted so much since then.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigOL3
michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What spanner wrenches are you guys using for your Walker Evans?

I've searched all over the place and can't find a "set" for these shocks (the Pin Style spanner for preload nut + spanner for the lock ring). I'm sure I'll just have to buy two different ones, but I was hoping clarify which ones fit properly. So many of my searches all end up saying for Polaris XP's, but when I look at their shocks, they're a different build style...just hoping to confirm before I order a set. Thanks!

LIVINTALL

LIVINTALL

Jan 26, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What spanner wrenches are you guys using for your Walker Evans?

I've searched all over the place and can't find a "set" for these shocks (the Pin Style spanner for preload nut + spanner for the lock ring). I'm sure I'll just have to buy two different ones, but I was hoping clarify which ones fit properly. So many of my searches all end up saying for Polaris XP's, but when I look at their shocks, they're a different build style...just hoping to confirm before I order a set. Thanks!
I'm curious as well. Following.....

michdave

michdave

Apr 28, 2019
Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm curious as well. Following.....

So, I called Walker Evans and they said that their techs actually prefer using a #2 short-length Phillips screwdriver because it fits perfectly the preload nut. Then they just use a punch and small hammer on the lock ring. I tried it out...and they're right. Worked like a charm. The short handle screw driver makes it easy to adjust the preload and I think they were right when they suggested that using a spanner wrench while the shock is installed just makes the process more cumbersome. We just don't have a lot of clearance on the rear's for making adjustment. They're a lot easier to adjust if you relive the suspension by throwing a jack under the machine.

Herbie

Herbie

Jul 26, 2019
Richmond, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Has anyone run the WE shocks with a bracket lift like HL? I am still torn on what shocks to run, I don't really need to have all the adjustments I just want something better than stock. Maybe I am thinking too much it is just a lot of money, and I need something to work with my current set up, SATV arms front and rear with the HL kit.

WE is $1600
Fox is $14-1500
Elka stage 1 is $1200
stage 2 is $1300
Stage 3 front and stage 2 rear is $1600
Viking 814 is $1200?
Curious if you got the Walker Evans. I just ordered me some, and I have the HL bracket lift.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!