BOX1

P1000m5 Walker Evans Review - Honda Pioneer 1000 test run!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
20160518 151152

Finally received my package from @WalkerEvansRacing. Upon opening it I was excited to finally get them and eager to get them installed and put to the test. I have never run a set of aftermarket shocks in all my years of owning a dozen ATV's, a Pioneer 700, and now the Pioneer 1000. I just didn't think changing out the shocks could make a worthy difference. Man, was I wrong.
341ee7167b2a6f6ccdafd65fd4f4cae1

The Pioneer 1000 came with a slightly better set of shocks than its 700 brother. Though it was an improvement it still was not enough to eliminate the hard bottoming out most of us have felt when hitting a hard bump. The "thump" you hear and feel is not a pleasant feeling and honestly, you expected better from a $17k rig.

Enter Walker Evans Racing to deliver a solution!
After a fairly straight forward installation, it was off to Carolina Adventure World to give them a few days of testing. First off we noticed a slightly improved stance. Breaking out our measure we found about an inch improvement over factory.
IMG 7076 IMG 7078 IMG 7079

Finally, we arrived, unloaded and straight to the speed track for a few loops. The Pioneer 1000, armed with the Walker Evans Shocks was AWESOME! Though the track was fairly smooth it handled amazingly around each turn. The ride and braking around each turn was super smooth. I could already tell the rest of the weekend was going to be "thump" free.

After a few hours of trail riding, we headed back for lunch and to pick up a buddy. But before we could I had to get some rounds on the Enduro Cross track. Here I just knew I would be able to find the bottom of the shocks and after a few warm up laps I was ready. Tried my best to push it but my lack of familiarity was holding me back. Even still, I was sure the bottom was there to be found. But... No. The shocks worked great soaking up each bump along the way.

After lunch, we hit the trail hoping the wind would cut the heat. Overall speed seem to work as it was cooler cruising along then sitting still. After some time I ran across a nice jump. Hit it hard to see if I could find a bottom. NOPE! after I landed, I said to myself, WOW. That was a smooth landing, lets do that again. So we did. Someone decided to get creative with the camera. lol. But did a great job catching the landing.

Later that day we headed to the rock crawl section which is always a blast. Both the 1000 and the 700 tackled it with ease. The Walker Evans shocks did a great job helping flex over the rocks. I have to say I am totally impressed.

Overall I was very impressed with these shocks. Though I tried my best, I could not find bottom like the factory shocks did. The felt great the whole weekend and recommend them to anyone looking to improve the suspension of there Pioneer 1000!

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda pioneer 1000 replacement shocks
Honda Pioneer 1000 Piggyback/Rem Res Shocks - Walker Evans Racing

Features:
  • MADE IN THE USA
  • RE-VALVABLE AND RE-BUILDABLE
  • COMPRESSION ADJUSTABLE RESERVOIR
  • 5/8" MICRO-ALLOY STEEL NITRID COATED SHOCK SHAFTS
  • ANODIZED FOR PROTECTION AND LONG LIFE
  • BILLET ALUMINUM DESIGN
  • 2.0" SHOCK BODY DESIGN
  • 1/2" STEEL BEARING SHOCK ENDS STANDARD
  • DESIGNED TO FIT IN OEM BRACKETS
  • QUALITY FIT, FUNCTION, AND APPEARANCE

Last edited:
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Spacers for both the front and rear. Gold spacer goes on the bottom and silver goes on the top.
IMAG0218 IMAG0219IMAG0221

Front install was easy. Just remove and replace.
IMAG0236 IMAG0234 IMAG0237

Rear install was a little more complicated but nothing a DIY can't handle. Choose to not remove the sway bar so I had to use a little leverage to squeeze the shocks in.
IMAG0216 IMAG0217IMAG0223
IMAG0224 IMAG0225

Reservoir installation and choosing the location.
You can choose to install below or above the a-arm. After trying both I finally decided on installing above the arm. At first, I was concerned with the remote tube. But after a weekend of riding, I found it not to be a issues. Just place importance on ensuring it correct angle on the tube from reservoir placement angle.
IMAG0227 IMAG0213 IMAG0214IMAG0231

Ground Clearance gained about an inch after a quick trip around the field to settle.
Hich1 Hitch2
Side1 Side2

Done.
IMAG0257 IMAG0258

Last edited:
Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ya. About a inch in the shop after a short trip around the field to settle them.

Sweet... I was wondering if I got those maybe I wouldn't want/need to get a lift as well. Thanks for the info!

Also, did it mainly just stiffen the ride for less bottom out at high speed, or did it make it more progressive so still soft on the top? I'm wondering how the slow speed ride compares. I like how they reacted on the higher speed stuff from your videos and the jump.

Carleton

Carleton

Nov 28, 2014
Utah
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Ya. About a inch in the shop after a short trip around the field to settle them.

Sorry one more question - Do you think the extra ground clearance is just because the shock is longer or because the unit doesn't sit as much in the sag?

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sweet... I was wondering if I got those maybe I wouldn't want/need to get a lift as well. Thanks for the info!

Also, did it mainly just stiffen the ride for less bottom out at high speed, or did it make it more progressive so still soft on the top? I'm wondering how the slow speed ride compares. I like how they reacted on the higher speed stuff from your videos and the jump.
Good question.
No, They did not stiffen the ride. In-fact, I think it soften it up riding slow.
I did compare the shocks side by side but I failed to get a picture as I was excited. It think it was a tad longer but not much.
I failed to get some pictures I had in my head to get...

Reactions: pct
N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! Thank you for the detailed reviews w/ videos, it was worth the wait. Now I can blame you for the 2 grand flying out of my pocket, and you can expect an angry message from my wife later.

Roursjr

Roursjr

Dec 5, 2015
Eldred Pennsylvania
What is your opinion on just putting these shocks on the front as I'm happy with the load leveling shocks on the back and the front seems to be the problem.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
** Updated install pictures in post #3.

What is your opinion on just putting these shocks on the front as I'm happy with the load leveling shocks on the back and the front seems to be the problem.
Load Leveling is one thing I did not discuss. Yes, it completely removes this feature. However for me it was not really a requirement or need. You are able to adjust these shocks to fit your needs.

As for just fronts?
I have to recommend all 4. If not, at least buy the fronts and add the rears to your Christmas list!

ghost

ghost

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2015
BC
Ouch - my credit card just cramped up!
Interested to hear how these perform with a heavy payload.
That auto levelling is the only thing I'm hesitant to give up.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ouch - my credit card just cramped up!
Interested to hear how these perform with a heavy payload.
That auto levelling is the only thing I'm hesitant to give up.

It's going to be hard for me to give up the auto level as well. I've not had any complaint about the rear shocks. The front shocks bottom out a lot so I for sure want to change those.

Delton

Delton

Honda Fanboy
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 6, 2016
Middle TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's going to be hard for me to give up the auto level as well. I've not had any complaint about the rear shocks. The front shocks bottom out a lot so I for sure want to change those.
To be honest I don't think I've ever bottomed out my front shocks. Guess I'm not riding hard enough. I'll step up my game lol. Great review btw

N

Nightcrawler

Apr 23, 2016
Portland, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
To be honest I don't think I've ever bottomed out my front shocks. Guess I'm not riding hard enough. I'll step up my game lol. Great review btw
I have never bottomed out either, but that is because you know the limits of this stock suspension and can't push it without getting jarred around the cab. The improvement in ride, and ability to drive faster through rough terrain without getting beat to death are what I am looking for. The right shocks are worth spending the money on, and usually the best upgrade you can make to any offroad vehicle. Anybody that rides with you will thank you. I have Carli suspension with King shocks on my F350 and it is awesome, 8500 lbs that will leave a Raptor in the dust in the rough stuff. This will put a huge dent in the pocket book, as any high end suspension will, but if you plan on keeping your Pioneer long term this will be worth it. I gotta start saving, but after hunting season will be buying these, unless we could come up with a group buy on these sooner? I doubt that is a possibility though as this is an expensive upgrade.

Reactions: pct
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I try not to push my suspension too hard but when you add up the weight of a roof, windshield, stereo system, dual batteries, brush guard, light bars, winch, two passengers in the front, UHMW skid plate (60lbs) etc. just small bumps are pushing the limits of the OEM shocks.

These WE shocks look to be amazing and a big thanks to @Hondasxs for giving us such an in-depth review. I'm very jealous that you have those and I don't!

I'm still holding out to see who else makes some aftermarket shocks, and hoping that Honda comes out with some soon.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
One other note:

All the guys that are adding bigger tires should take a look at these shocks too. The oem shocks don't do a good job at controlling 50lbs of unsprung weight like these roctanes/bead locks combo.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!