Weather Talk

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
normally only have issues with the older siding now when we get 50-100mph. when i got the place water come in everytime the ice and snow would melt, i went through and tore off million years of old roofs tar and roll. i got mid grade architectural shingles from from HD almost two pallets worth(house garage and 12x24 shed), mostly done myself. but the first row is what you have to worry about with that which i tar'd two layers of shingles over felt and two 3ft rows of water and ice proof ice shield, so even when you loose a shingle or two which is all that has happened the water/snow is still not going to ever get in, till i replace it in the spring. really after they get a few years they stay pretty good up to 100, i went through and put 3.5 inch screws in the siding that has come off too havent had any problems after that but, house was built in 1850 there are about 18 layers of roll and ceder on the sides too, tough to find anything to screw to
I’ve done a LOT of roofing in my younger days. Usually if you tar the first layer down, they are pretty good. My cousin in Cape Breton is doing my camp this spring. In C B now , they tar the whole back side of the shingle before it goes on the house. Just for the wind down there. They are Sow West winds. My brother in Margaree said it’s normal to have winds of 80 to 90 mph , he said they don’t start to worry until it gets above 110 mph. He said last fall they had , sustained winds of 90 mph , he said the trees were laced over but all came back. So yeah , we get wind. Good luck you guys.
Caper

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
I’m with you on that. I just did a full tear off on the main house roof. Pulled the original cedar shake. Installed all premium materials. My house is from 1865 and the barns are probably older. I’m slowly replacing barn roofs. I’m not really worried about any storms in these old houses.

love old houses but im sure you know they are work but worth it, frame is about 18inch oak beams hand chiseled , some exposed obviously you see in the basement inch plus tongue laid over that, ply for floors over that. they always leave what ever was there though for additions or roofs and siding they had couple layers of ashfault siding too and when i try to put a switch or pipe for freezer in or anything all that crap is still there fighting you. sees like all they did was eyeball level too, not floor or wall is close to level, but certainly dont have to worry about it being there after im dead

alot people just put up metal for barns cause its cheap, ive put up some. most just put it over whats there which isnt enough to hold it down when you get bad wind. the shingles are heavy but if you have enough frame they are better at staying

Reactions: Caper and Mudwing
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
love old houses but im sure you know they are work but worth it, frame is about 18inch oak beams hand chiseled , some exposed obviously you see in the basement inch plus tongue laid over that, ply for floors over that. they always leave what ever was there though for additions or roofs and siding they had couple layers of ashfault siding too and when i try to put a switch or pipe for freezer in or anything all that crap is still there fighting you. sees like all they did was eyeball level too, not floor or wall is close to level, but certainly dont have to worry about it being there after im dead

alot people just put up metal for barns cause its cheap, ive put up some. most just put it over whats there which isnt enough to hold it down when you get bad wind. the shingles are heavy but if you have enough frame they are better at staying
We thought about metal on the camp but they wouldn’t do it unless it was stripped and strapped. Too much for the camp.
Caper

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4

You’re right on point. Old houses are strong. Thick fieldstone foundation, monster timber with wooden peg construction. When working on them throw away your level. The eye don’t lie here. :D

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
E46D9B3C 95C4 46AB A956 DA1DAB44B70F
5CEBE984 8A5C 47E2 A816 8563EFC87F00
This is the structure of the big barn.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
You’re right on point. Old houses are strong. Thick fieldstone foundation, monster timber with wooden peg construction. When working on them throw away your level. The eye don’t lie here. :D

got the field stones too, but one thing i liked about the house, been filled and concreted with a well and higher ledge around for the utilities to sit up a few feet on. if the pump fails you got some time. know alot of people just dry set and a couple feet under the older house

Reactions: Caper and Mudwing
advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
View attachment 110094 View attachment 110092This is the structure of the big barn.
On e of the neatest projects I've been involved with was converting a Rail Road baggage storage building into a coffee shop, it has the beams like you have and the wood floor is 8 inch maple butcher block, because back then the baggage carts had steel wheels, talk about hades to drill through. The project turned out very nice!

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500

got the field stones too, but one thing i liked about the house, been filled and concreted with a well and higher ledge around for the utilities to sit up a few feet on. if the pump fails you got some time. know alot of people just dry set and a couple feet under the older house
I had to lift the camp in the late ‘80s . It had fallen off the field stone from the wind. We renovated it then. Tough old building. It was a one room schoolhouse built in the 1800s . My dad actually went to school there, in the depression.
Caper

Reactions: Mudwing
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
On e of the neatest projects I've been involved with was converting a Rail Road baggage storage building into a coffee shop, it has the beams like you have and the wood floor is 8 inch maple butcher block, because back then the baggage carts had steel wheels, talk about hades to drill through. The project turned out very nice!
Very cool. Did you find anything good, like old coins. I’ve found some coins doing renovations. People put coins in the window sill for good luck. A friend of mine is a big money guy up here. He did over Alexander Keith’s mansion. One of Halifax’s first mayors. Keith’s is a favourite beer up here. Then he sold the place to Labatts breweries for a head office. Don’t imagine he made a penny. Haha. Cool.
Caper

Reactions: Mudwing
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Very cool. Did you find anything good, like old coins. I’ve found some coins doing renovations. People put coins in the window sill for good luck. A friend of mine is a big money guy up here. He did over Alexander Keith’s mansion. One of Halifax’s first mayors. Keith’s is a favourite beer up here. Then he sold the place to Labatts breweries for a head office. Don’t imagine he made a penny. Haha. Cool.
Caper
Never found much of value, mostly old whiskey bottles sealed up in walls. Think the carpenters had a good time? HA!

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Never found much of value, mostly old whiskey bottles sealed up in walls. Think the carpenters had a good time? HA!
Yeah, we’ve found old newspapers in the walls for insulation. Haha. But it’s really cool to open and read what was happening in the city. And we’ve also found old bottles in the walls. Scared to drink it. Haha. When my uncle came back from WW2 , he brought a bunch of stuff back. He took a 7.65 Browning semi handgun to work one day to show the boys, he was drinking at the time, saw too much, and he put it in the wall to go to lunch. When he came back it was plastered over. As far as we know, it’s still there. The house hasn’t been renovated since. Probably will be soon. I might see it on the news some day. Haha.
Caper

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!