Weather Talk

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
The government doesn’t officiate by hearsay, but scientific evidence. A good photo or video, a cougar struck by a car or shot by a hunter…

This government researcher spent a decade in the Nova Scotia bush attempting to prove the existence of the cat with no luck. A good short read here…..

House cats, lynx and bobcats are often mistaken for cougars.

“Unless you have a size reference next to it, it’s kind of tough,” says McCarthy.

“Great danes from behind really look like cougars when you see them walking away at a distance.”

Haha, DNR said it must have been a coyote.
I laughed in his face
I said it had a four foot body and a four foot tail with a black tip , crossed a four lane highway in four bounds. I should have hit the damn thing.
Caper

Reactions: Rayger143
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Haha, DNR said it must have been a coyote.
I laughed in his face
I said it had a four foot body and a four foot tail with a black tip , crossed a four lane highway in four bounds. I should have hit the damn thing.
Caper
You should have taken a good photo or hit it…
Evidence Sherlock……😉

Reactions: Rayger143 and Caper
Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The government doesn’t officiate by hearsay, but scientific evidence. A good photo or video, a cougar struck by a car or shot by a hunter…

This government researcher spent a decade in the Nova Scotia bush attempting to prove the existence of the cat with no luck. A good short read here…..

House cats, lynx and bobcats are often mistaken for cougars.

“Unless you have a size reference next to it, it’s kind of tough,” says McCarthy.

“Great danes from behind really look like cougars when you see them walking away at a distance.”

I see bobcats, lynx and cougars every year and really have no problem telling the difference. I think we are seeing more because cameras are a lot more common these days. Lots of hobby farms in our area with smaller livestock that attract them. The grizzly and wolf population is increasing also in our area. Also elk and moose. 40 yrs ago all we ever saw in the Okanagan was deer.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
You should have taken a good photo or hit it…
Evidence Sherlock……😉
At the time I had a 125lb Golden Retriever, male all mussels. And that boy could track you down. He was with me my wife and daughter who all saw it too. DNR said they was a $10 k reward for a picture of one. I said if I’d known that, Rorke would have tracked his ass. And he wasn’t scared of anything. Chased a big bear around midnight at the camp. He was right on his ass. I called him back and it still sounded like a bulldozer going through the woods. Good Boy. Extra treats that night.
If only I knew about the reward.
Haha
Caper

Reactions: Rayger143
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I see bobcats, lynx and cougars every year and really have no problem telling the difference. I think we are seeing more because cameras are a lot more common these days. Lots of hobby farms in our area with smaller livestock that attract them. The grizzly and wolf population is increasing also in our area. Also elk and moose. 40 yrs ago all we ever saw in the Okanagan was deer.
I’ve seen huge black wolves on my buddies property. I’ve seen lynxes around the camp, just sitting ten feet away looking at me. Dams coyotes here are mixed with the grey wolf and can get to over 100lbs. Some bobcats, probably more than lynx. A few red foxes still around. Coyotes kill them too.
I love getting up early and just putting through some of our trails.
Saw a big Bullwinkle 20’ from me one morning. Of course no phone or camera.
I didn’t have one either.
😂😂
Caper

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
I saw a cougar one morning and told my neighbor. He asked if I was sure it was a cougar and I told him it was either a cougar or a very short deer with a long tail. I found tracks in the snow a few days later but no more cat. This was January so the critters leave the mountain due to the snow...plowed roads are much easier to traverse and more meals down low it the winter.

Just heard a farmer in Calif. complaining about lack of water due to a rare fish being protected. I like fish but common sense should prevail.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I see bobcats, lynx and cougars every year and really have no problem telling the difference.
You probably don’t, but apparently many do….
Game and fish policies and advocate groups are responsible for the increases. As I noted to another poster, in the lower 48 grizzlies were put on the endangered species list. These are acts/policies that bring such animals back from would be extinctions…..when they all start causing problems……..again……hunting rules will adapt…

• Haha
Reactions: Rayger143 and Caper
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just heard a farmer in Calif. complaining about lack of water due to a rare fish being protected. I like fish but common sense should prevail.
Ah, the Delta Smelt, and the concern is beyond just the disappearance of that small fish, but the collapse of the San Francisco-San Joaquin Delta.

Reactions: Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I saw a cougar one morning and told my neighbor. He asked if I was sure it was a cougar and I told him it was either a cougar or a very short deer with a long tail. I found tracks in the snow a few days later but no more cat. This was January so the critters leave the mountain due to the snow...plowed roads are much easier to traverse and more meals down low it the winter.

Can’t kill all the fish to save one farmers crop. Probably weed anyway.
😊
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Are the fires getting close ?
Caper
9EC2A100 9AF9 4927 9A9E 2E9F54AB83EA

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Are the fires getting close ?
Caper View attachment 283474
No major fires closer than about an hour from me. Province is in bad shape though. Smoke is thick enough that I can't see the hills anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if they shut the bush down soon. 318 active fires with 44 started in the last 2 days.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
51* at 5:30 this morning, partly cloudy, a high of 78* with 30% chance of early afternoon showers…still 45% humidity. Very thankful that we have no fires here…..🤞

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ah, the Delta Smelt, and the concern is beyond just the disappearance of that small fish, but the collapse of the San Francisco-San Joaquin Delta.
I believe it was a different fish but I don't recall the name. The farmer did reference the same problem in SF. AS I mentioned there is usually 2 sides to each story and it helps to walk a mile in their shoes to really understand the issues. I help with Trout Unlimited and we work cooperatively with land owners...works better that way.

Not taking sides just passing on what I heard.

• Love
Reactions: Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I have missed out on a few pages I see. Sort busy at work. They expect more out of me than I'm wanting to do this week.

But, anyway weather temps should be a little cooler till end of month. But, HUMID! But if wasn't for humidity we would be bumping a 100 right now.

View attachment 283591
We have a beautiful day starting up here. Around 60 to start and going up to 70’s.
Going to get rain for a few days again after today.
Have a great day down south.
Caper

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Had us another nice little shower last evening!!!
Things are looking beautiful here….

FDD03208 CC6A 4B91 9F45 67C448C81A85

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!