Weather Talk

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Well that greatly varies, the flatter and more level the ground, the greater suction and strength of a tornado, hilly and mountainous terrain tends to slow, weaken and often break up a tornado. I grew up in Cali where there are no tornados. When I moved to Dallas I recall people amazed that anyone would live in a place with earthquakes, but in my 40 years living in the Midwest, I’ve seen vastly more death and destruction from tornadoes, a wicked scourge…..
I’m watching the news. Incredible. Mayfield really took a big hit. It showed the tornado in the dark with lightning all around it. It was a giant.
Strange that some houses are flattened and across the street, totally fine, looking fine anyway.
Incredibly sad.
Caper 😢

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
FJ40 and snow memories! My 74, owned from ‘78-83. May have already mentioned it, but Norfolk Va area had a rare blizzard like 20” in 1980, National Guard called in and I worked in my FJ with a Police handheld as a “Mobile Medic”. Warn 8k# winched a fire truck and road grader and blasted through drifts to transport patients. Fun as a 20-something, but enjoyed top off summers the most at NC Outer Banks. Kept the plate, all thats left of the FJ.
View attachment 308611View attachment 308612View attachment 308613
It was a blast with the roof off, until you got stuck in deep mud. Haha
Still fun. Because I was the one behind the wheel. Oh , and don’t stand behind the wheel, haha, too late.
Caper

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m watching the news. Incredible. Mayfield really took a big hit. It showed the tornado in the dark with lightning all around it. It was a giant.
Strange that some houses are flattened and across the street, totally fine, looking fine anyway.
Incredibly sad.
Caper 😢
Most modular homes just explode in a storm like this.

• Wow
Reactions: Caper
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Too cool! Nice occupation too…👍😎
I think it was Dec 2004 and I was down at NAS Norfolk teaching a 3 day class to some "bucket head" swabbies and was on my way back to MD Eastern Shore and was stopped by VA State Police as I exited the Bay Bridge Tunnel. They recommended no travel North due to heavy snow and drifts on US 50. I was in my F250 4 wd and I thanked them and proceeded to head North on US 13 I think, then West on US 50. Snow wasn't even up to my axles and I was doing fine but going fairly slow at maybe 35 mph. No other traffic on the road and it's the only time I stopped 3x in the middle of US 50 to take a piss...got home about 0300 and slept till noon.

SWB

SWB

Apr 22, 2019
South Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Suppose be windy and warmer here tomorrow. Rain chances most of week.

• Love
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yep it was T-shirt weather today….

• Love
Reactions: Caper and SWB
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Weird weather going on.
Somewhat unusual to have tornadoes in December, and the first tornado warning in Minnesota in the state’s history…….🤔

• Love
SWB

SWB

Apr 22, 2019
South Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Weird weather going on.
Somewhat unusual to have tornadoes in December, and the first tornado warning in Minnesota in the state’s history…….🤔

We have severe weather here in November and December often. Temps are supposed to be a roller coaster ride for a few weeks. Probably get cold in Jan and Feb.

advertisement
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
We have severe weather here in November and December often. Temps are supposed to be a roller coaster ride for a few weeks. Probably get cold in Jan and Feb.
I came out of the garage last night around 10:30 and there was a nice doe and three yearlings looking at me under the Apple tree about 15’ away. They walked slowly next door and when I walked up the steps, they came back over. Cool
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I see it’s -25 in Calgary this morning. @lowrider are you getting any of that cold. Brrr. Don’t miss that sitting in the blind.
Caper

• Haha
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
It’s 50 degrees here this morning. Very nice. And sunshine. I wouldn’t be disappointed if it stayed like this all winter. Haha. More snow coming Saturday night into Sunday. Just great. Hopefully not a lot.
Caper

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes Sir...1F this morning headed for 20F. Must be Canadian plot in cooperation with Brandon. Looks like 3" of "flurries" on Saturday and warming into the 30's next week. 4' of snow in the mountains and two big storms in the Pacific bringing lots more snow. I'm beginning to question my decision on whether I should have sold my snow machines to get the Pioneer...still no snow down low...so...who knows.

UPS driver almost needed my help with the tractor yesterday...couple of inches of snow on top of ice sheet. Tractor is getting chains as soon as #1 son gets his mutant 75 Chevy Blazer out of my shop. He has HumV tires on it and one went flat and popped off the rim. I lifted the back of the Blazer up yesterday with the tractor bucket and we pulled the wheel and frozen tire into the shop to warm up...those things are a couple hundred pounds with the bottom filled with ice...I think I may need a nap to help dealing with that thing.

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335 and Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Yes Sir...1F this morning headed for 20F. Must be Canadian plot in cooperation with Brandon. Looks like 3" of "flurries" on Saturday and warming into the 30's next week. 4' of snow in the mountains and two big storms in the Pacific bringing lots more snow. I'm beginning to question my decision on whether I should have sold my snow machines to get the Pioneer...still no snow down low...so...who knows.

UPS driver almost needed my help with the tractor yesterday...couple of inches of snow on top of ice sheet. Tractor is getting chains as soon as #1 son gets his mutant 75 Chevy Blazer out of my shop. He has HumV tires on it and one went flat and popped off the rim. I lifted the back of the Blazer up yesterday with the tractor bucket and we pulled the wheel and frozen tire into the shop to warm up...those things are a couple hundred pounds with the bottom filled with ice...I think I may need a nap to help dealing with that thing.
Do you have a fire on in the shop or other heat.
Just freezing here this morning. Staying there all day.
One week left. Our cat is having a ball with the Christmas tree. Usually a couple ornaments on the floor in the morning. Nothing he can break.
Haha
Caper

• Haha
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It rained 4.5 inches here Friday.

• Love
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Yes Sir...propane fired hydronics in the shop floor but nothing in the hanger. I built 36' folding doors insulated with 4" inches of foam between the shop and hanger so I can roll planes into the shop to work on them where it's warm. I keep it about 58 - 60F so it's not tee shirt warm but warm enough to work comfortably. The bathroom and sleeping area has electric heat if needed. I'm seriously thinking about putting in a pair of mini-splits for cooling and a little extra heat if needed when the hydronics is turned off. I built an 8' x20' shop area in one corner inside that has refrig and propane stove for cooking but mostly for metal lathe and mill and some storage. Just put in WiFi and Direct TV with 4 Jensen speakers for Willie and his friends and of course football as needed. I have an almost 25 yard indoor archery range and rifle/pistol range under the archery targets but that is limited to 22 LR or light pistol loads. It's 85' from house to the shop so I still need jacket to get there. I wanted a 10K steel building with the house, shop and hanger all inside but Copilot shot that down.

Light snow falling and 20F at the moment. #1 son's HumV tire is holding air so far without any weight on it so we'll see how that works out on the Blazer.

• Haha
Reactions: Caper and Smitty335
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Yes Sir...propane fired hydronics in the shop floor but nothing in the hanger. I built 36' folding doors insulated with 4" inches of foam between the shop and hanger so I can roll planes into the shop to work on them where it's warm. I keep it about 58 - 60F so it's not tee shirt warm but warm enough to work comfortably. The bathroom and sleeping area has electric heat if needed. I'm seriously thinking about putting in a pair of mini-splits for cooling and a little extra heat if needed when the hydronics is turned off. I built an 8' x20' shop area in one corner inside that has refrig and propane stove for cooking but mostly for metal lathe and mill and some storage. Just put in WiFi and Direct TV with 4 Jensen speakers for Willie and his friends and of course football as needed. I have an almost 25 yard indoor archery range and rifle/pistol range under the archery targets but that is limited to 22 LR or light pistol loads. It's 85' from house to the shop so I still need jacket to get there. I wanted a 10K steel building with the house, shop and hanger all inside but Copilot shot that down.

Light snow falling and 20F at the moment. #1 son's HumV tire is holding air so far without any weight on it so we'll see how that works out on the Blazer.
My mini split works great in my house. We haven’t turned furnace on yet.
You should like your shop is what every man dreams of. 😊😊
Caper

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I’ve been in rain since I began this trek in Little Rock on Thursday, gray skies and chilly/cold weather every city and state….🙄

• Haha
advertisement