Weather Talk

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
25F and a promised 30F and a dusting of wet snow then heavier snow over night and more coming thru Thursday. Forecast was right about the warm up when the winds changed to from the South instead of from BC.

Reminds me of when I was flying in Southern and Central Alaska. The routine was to call FAA weather folks to get weather forecasts for the planned flight. They gave what was known as the Area Forecast (FA for short) and pilot weather reports (pireps) as they came in. Then you'd ask for them to pull up the blinds and see what it was doing outside.

I seldom flew above 12K except in a Navajo and Aztec which we used to go to Kodiak or over water legs/need Oxygen up there. That altitude often put you above the low pressure fronts which was nice until you had to descend thru the clouds to land. It was common to get pireps from jets that had deice equipment on board and they would report "light rime ice" on decent". You could always count on "heavy ice" if they were getting "no ice or light ice buildup". We were not equiped to fly into "known ice" so we never flew if there were reports of ice. When you cycled the props the ice would break off the blades and hit the wings with a loud bang...not comforting to the passengers. I miss it.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
25F and a promised 30F and a dusting of wet snow then heavier snow over night and more coming thru Thursday. Forecast was right about the warm up when the winds changed to from the South instead of from BC.

Reminds me of when I was flying in Southern and Central Alaska. The routine was to call FAA weather folks to get weather forecasts for the planned flight. They gave what was known as the Area Forecast (FA for short) and pilot weather reports (pireps) as they came in. Then you'd ask for them to pull up the blinds and see what it was doing outside.

I seldom flew above 12K except in a Navajo and Aztec which we used to go to Kodiak or over water legs/need Oxygen up there. That altitude often put you above the low pressure fronts which was nice until you had to descend thru the clouds to land. It was common to get pireps from jets that had deice equipment on board and they would report "light rime ice" on decent". You could always count on "heavy ice" if they were getting "no ice or light ice buildup". We were not equiped to fly into "known ice" so we never flew if there were reports of ice. When you cycled the props the ice would break off the blades and hit the wings with a loud bang...not comforting to the passengers. I miss it.
A good friend I went to school with from primary, flew bush planes up north from after high school, for about 20 years, then he came home and flew for Air Nova, then on to Air Canada. He was flying 747 charters until he got cancer a few years ago. He was a great guy. I’d definitely let him fly my anywhere, if he was still around.
Caper

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
A good friend I went to school with from primary, flew bush planes up north from after high school, for about 20 years, then he came home and flew for Air Nova, then on to Air Canada. He was flying 747 charters until he got cancer a few years ago. He was a great guy. I’d definitely let him fly my anywhere, if he was still around.
Caper
I could have stayed and flew 727's but I had a job offer to go back to our government for a lot more money and a retirement, so it wasn't much of a decision. I enjoyed the flying and the spook world and age is always a factor at some point. Seems a lot of the guys I flew with were dying from cancer...especially from the jet world. I think there is a chance it's due to increased solar radiation exposure. My neighbor retired from American and flew 777's and he has remarked about that too. Occupational hazard I guess...but then I had friends shot down in Vietnam so there ya go....gunna die from something.

Reactions: Caper and Smitty335
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I could have stayed and flew 727's but I had a job offer to go back to our government for a lot more money and a retirement, so it wasn't much of a decision. I enjoyed the flying and the spook world and age is always a factor at some point. Seems a lot of the guys I flew with were dying from cancer...especially from the jet world. I think there is a chance it's due to increased solar radiation exposure. My neighbor retired from American and flew 777's and he has remarked about that too. Occupational hazard I guess...but then I had friends shot down in Vietnam so there ya go....gunna die from something.
Some sooner than others.
I hope I’m in the other’s
😊
Caper

• Haha
Reactions: Smitty335
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Some sooner than others.
I hope I’m in the other’s
😊
Caper
Only the good die young, you’re golden Cap….😉

• Haha
Reactions: Caper
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Back in the spa City, 30* in the morning and 53* for tomorrow’s high with partly cloudy skies….

• Haha
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Back in the spa City, 30* in the morning and 53* for tomorrow’s high with partly cloudy skies….
I see the highway in Virginia was blocked with hundreds of cars stuck in a snowstorm because of two tractor trailer drivers driving too fast for conditions and jackknifed.
People were stuck for over 24 hours. Why would it take 24 hours to get a tow truck in front and pull the trucks straight again. Lucky nobody died.
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
We’re expecting a big snowstorm by Friday. Could be up to a foot.
Just great
I’m hoping it’s going to be warm enough to pull the wire in the conduit today. 70’ has to be pulled.
Hope it goes good
Caper

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
We’re expecting a big snowstorm by Friday. Could be up to a foot.
Just great
I’m hoping it’s going to be warm enough to pull the wire in the conduit today. 70’ has to be pulled.
Hope it goes good
Caper
Awesome, I didn’t know it arrived!! What size conduit?

advertisement
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I got 1”. Am going to try and run a 14/2 inside with the 6/3
Only have about 10’ of conduit, but a couple turns
Wish me luck
Caper
Better have some snot. Why only 10’ of conduit? Is it in the attic, walls or under the house thereafter…..🤔 Hope those turns are wide bends or LB’s….

I ran mine in conduit all the way to the panel, of course it was about a 40’ run.

Indeed good luck….😎🤞

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Better have some snot. Why only 10’ of conduit? Is it in the attic, walls or under the house thereafter…..🤔 Hope those turns are wide bends or LB’s….

I ran mine in conduit all the way to the panel, of course it was about a 40’ run.

Indeed good luck….😎🤞
There is 60’ inside the house, but I’m starting outside and fishing it up then in
Caper

L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Now you tell me. The Vaseline worked good. Except the wire was cold a stiff. It’s in the conduit and in the house.
I’ll staple it up tomorrow to the panel.
Caper
Most anything slick will work. My inspector told me KY jelly worked great...none of that around anyhow.

Just got back from the big city...roads are great except for the A holes that are doing 80mph on a road that's just about right at 50. Some times the plows will block the road to slow them down but not today.

Our forecast has dropped to 4" to 10" with more in mountains. Temps are above freezing. Whatever it turns out to be we'll deal with it.

Let's outlaw teacher unions!!!!!

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Most anything slick will work. My inspector told me KY jelly worked great...none of that around anyhow.

Just got back from the big city...roads are great except for the A holes that are doing 80mph on a road that's just about right at 50. Some times the plows will block the road to slow them down but not today.

Our forecast has dropped to 4" to 10" with more in mountains. Temps are above freezing. Whatever it turns out to be we'll deal with it.

Let's outlaw teacher unions!!!!!
My wife will not like that. Haha
And I’ll trade you the 4 to 10 “ for our weather Bomb that’s coming Friday. Saying over a foot. Could be more. Last one was 3’ +
Caper

• Wow
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
And I’ll trade you the 4 to 10 “ for our weather Bomb that’s coming Friday. Saying over a foot. Could be more. Last one was 3’ +
Caper
Keep your chin up!

• Love
L

lowrider

Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2020
Idaho Panhandle
Ownership

1. 700-2
Caper
My apologies to your wife since she clearly is not an offender or was she concerned about the KY?

Our snow is relatively low so far this year. Looks like our average is about 40" and where we moved from it was roughly 120" so that did have a bearing on our moving a bit South. We had piles of snow into May before it melted up there.

Hopefully, you won't get hit with the "bomb" but remember you have lobsters and PEI mussels and let's not forget that wonderful fish chowder....there are trade offs.

Still planning a fishing trip to BC...maybe Kamloops or East Kooteney...thinking hard on what flies to tie.

• Love
Reactions: Caper and Smitty335
advertisement