GovtMule

GovtMule

NTC’s SoA, Chief Sarcasm Officer-Self Appointed
Lifetime Member
May 19, 2021
Tennessee
Ownership

1. Talon R
If I didn’t take it from my parents when I got married, they sold it for pennies. Even stuff I made. Haha
Parents !
Haha
Caper
No kidding. My mom also gave away a Blue Hole canoe and a fully restored Old Town wood and canvas canoe. I was young but i remember it was BEAUTIFUL.

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Smitty, if you burn DRY <15% moisture content wood in the cat stoves, you won't have an issue...well unless you're burning pine or similar. Hardwoods that are dry is what those cat stoves were designed for. My Jotul has a 20 year warranty on the cat element. Have a friend that has the exact same stove bu earlier version without the cat, and he burns way more wood than I do for roughly the same heat and home size.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Smitty, if you burn DRY <15% moisture content wood in the cat stoves, you won't have an issue...well unless you're burning pine or similar. Hardwoods that are dry is what those cat stoves were designed for. My Jotul has a 20 year warranty on the cat element. Have a friend that has the exact same stove bu earlier version without the cat, and he burns way more wood than I do for roughly the same heat and home size.
Hardwood only. Softwood creates Creosote , a buddy only burned softwood and caught his chimney on fire. My wood has been cut 2 years ago and I put it under cover the first of June. Definitely dry.
What’s a cord of hardwood in Texas. Up here it’s $300, but Cape Breton it’s $200. Or free behind my camp. We have 5 cord of rock maple stacked beside the container, and was looking at 5 or 6 big maples that blew down. Perfect beautiful it’s off the ground with the branches.
Caper

S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yea, we get a lot of "hurricane" wood too... Water oaks, red oaks and the like grow right on top of the ground with no tap root... Live Oaks, have a good root system, but they are squirrelly to split. Branches on large Live Oaks are sometimes 18 to 24 inch diameter, but a typical trunk of a mature Live Oak may be 36" or bigger, but very short... sometimes only a few feet of "trunk" before big forks/splits start new giant limbs... The grain is wavy and very irregular. Once dried though, it burns just like any other oak. For cooking fires, most here like Post OaK", But any oak is a premium cooking wood (for smoking briskets, pork butts, etc...). We don't have cherry and maple here, but we have hickory and walnut along with pecan.

Reactions: Smitty335 and Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Yea, we get a lot of "hurricane" wood too... Water oaks, red oaks and the like grow right on top of the ground with no tap root... Live Oaks, have a good root system, but they are squirrelly to split. Branches on large Live Oaks are sometimes 18 to 24 inch diameter, but a typical trunk of a mature Live Oak may be 36" or bigger, but very short... sometimes only a few feet of "trunk" before big forks/splits start new giant limbs... The grain is wavy and very irregular. Once dried though, it burns just like any other oak. For cooking fires, most here like Post OaK", But any oak is a premium cooking wood (for smoking briskets, pork butts, etc...). We don't have cherry and maple here, but we have hickory and walnut along with pecan.
I guess you need a good splitter. 😊
My buddy in Cape Breton has a homemade one that he was splitting huge maple, at least 2’ across. We have some walnut and elm and beechwood. And some ash. My old neighbor made axe and hammer handles from ash . Did most with a double bitter axe. I still have two axe handles. Probably will never use them,
Caper

Reactions: Smitty335
S

SaltwaterSlick

Jul 20, 2022
Southeast Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's cool! My grandpa used to "whittle" handles out of ash and for the serious loggers, he'd make their double bit handles out of hickory... He had some kind of double handle draw knife that he'd use to rough the shape in and it was cool to watch him work... With ash, he could whip out a hammer or hatchet handle quick... Coolest handle I ever "helped" him make when I was a kid was an "eye hoe" handle... Long and perfectly straight with just the right taper on the head end to hold the hoe, but allow it do draw right down to the end of the handle... Most of my dad's side of the family "worked in the woods" as loggers in various functions... Much different than like out west in the mountains... Here around the Gulf coast of East Texas, it's flat as a pancake, but some serious mud in the river bottoms...

Reactions: Caper and Smitty335
advertisement
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's cool! My grandpa used to "whittle" handles out of ash and for the serious loggers, he'd make their double bit handles out of hickory... He had some kind of double handle draw knife that he'd use to rough the shape in and it was cool to watch him work... With ash, he could whip out a hammer or hatchet handle quick... Coolest handle I ever "helped" him make when I was a kid was an "eye hoe" handle... Long and perfectly straight with just the right taper on the head end to hold the hoe, but allow it do draw right down to the end of the handle... Most of my dad's side of the family "worked in the woods" as loggers in various functions... Much different than like out west in the mountains... Here around the Gulf coast of East Texas, it's flat as a pancake, but some serious mud in the river bottoms...
I think we have the wood cutting figured out at the cabin, at least a 24 inch saw, splitter and a tractor with forks. Cut 10 foot logs, haul them up to camp, while still on the forks cut them into lengths. Then fire the splitter up, Katie Bar the Door. It's easy to cut and split 3 ricks of wood in 1.5 hours.

Reactions: Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Southern Alberta is flat too. Only coolies are the only holes. No trees except cottonwood along the river. And most are on my buddies place. 250 acres of alfalfa. Can look out in the field and see 75 deer in the morning. And I walk to the blind at the edge of the field, and in about 15 minutes, they are all back. A few bucks hanging around, but usually a couple big guys end up fighting right in front of me. Very cool. Don’t see that here. Saw a giant cross the road a couple years ago. Watched him walk with the does to about 300 yards. Just about ready to shoot, and a friend missed a buck in the woods. The giant lifted his head, and gone. Didn’t see him again. Not sure if I wanted to shoot him in -25 and 2’ of snow, and the snow just stopped. Inside, it’s warm, but taking your hands out in that cold, your hands freeze fast. Plus I always take my jacket off. Haha. Maybe this year I’ll see him again. He’ll be bigger.
Haha
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I think we have the wood cutting figured out at the cabin, at least a 24 inch saw, splitter and a tractor with forks. Cut 10 foot logs, haul them up to camp, while still on the forks cut them into lengths. Then fire the splitter up, Katie Bar the Door. It's easy to cut and split 3 ricks of wood in 1.5 hours.
First of Oct, I helped a friend load and split 5 cords, for his mom, and two other people, in 4 hours. We were moving. 2 1/2 cords a trailer.
Then went to my brothers after thanksgiving and moved and stacked 6 cords in 3 hours plus stopping for breakfast. It was split at 20” and some were quite heavy, he has a wood furnace.
All he uses I winter in Margaree. Up there they can get 7’ of snow in a year. He has a double stack snowblower for his JD. He loves it, so do his neighbors.
Haha
Caper

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
My buddy in Alberta sent me a couple pictures from his cameras from a few weeks ago.
Caper

8B5AAB37 0323 4DAF 8A50 0CC804448B5F 8E330457 A60D 4893 8972 EDFECE5D087F 1A258595 3C67 43A3 B03A 603B280A6002 C0903B6D 4A40 4963 A0B5 2B5EC6F33707 A25707A5 2ABE 47AC 8E76 472565BED3F4

• Love
advertisement