P500 What did you do to/with your Pioneer 500 today?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 21926 Yes I did. Very familiar with them.
This is part way through the last one we rebuilt. We built a new boiler and then mount everything to the boiler. After all the brackets are mounted then you pour the Babbitt around the shafts so they are in line. Scrap them and your ready to go. This little Minneapolis had about 168 studs going into the boiler for mounting crap. 11 tons if memory serves me.
That's really cool! Maybe the one I found powered a saw mill. Lots of Douglas fir in the area, a popular building material back in the day, though the old growth trees are long gone.

gatorguy

gatorguy

May 15, 2015
Florida
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I got my P500 stuck a while back and meant to post pictures on here. It is pretty difficult to get this thing stuck! I got high sided in some sticky goop which ended things pretty quickly. I got a little too close to this low spot. I never planned on trying to make it across, I just was getting close but it was a done deal. Thankfully my truck wasn't too far away.

IMG 0140 zps786qjtp1

IMG 0142 zpsk4wmfqvw

IMG 0141 zps1oetjxjb

IMG 0144 zpsnblmzgcc

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Yep. Just like a car. Gotta love Honda. The front brakes are almost exactly like a Honda car - just a bit smaller. Rotors are about 1/2" thick. The caliper bolts to the sliding pins just like a Honda car, as opposed to an atv-like setup. It's a far superior brake setup when compared to a Polaris ranger. The only thing that sucks is the price - $60 per side for the front pads. I ordered them today. As good as they performed for 1200 miles I'm sticking with the oem pads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bad ass...but $60 a side?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Came across of Koplin gun rack for ATV on local craigslist for 50$, brand new in the box. Was very tempted to mount it on my p500 for this price.

:)

IMG 20160914 190858018 IMG 20160914 190932854 IMG 20160914 191004520

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I bought one of these back in June because the price ($29.95 shipped!!) seemed too good to be true:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DCTCGW6/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Well it came in a couple days after I bought it, and it is amazingly nice. The other day I took my Honda bed off for cleaning and I decided to try this bag out. It's awesome! I might not put the bed back on till spring... This bag easily fits a 30 pack - probably 2 if you remove the dividers - and has plenty of room to spare. The day I put it on, I went riding and got caught in a downpour for over an hour. And the buggy was parked outside for a while in the rain too. I had a few things in the bag. When I finally got home, I checked and the inside of the bag was almost completely dry. The inner wall was just slightly damp - no puddles or anything. I'm sure when I use silicone tent sealer on the outside of it, it will stay bone dry.

Right now, they are out of stock and the price went way up. If you're looking for some kind of cheap cargo bag, keep an eye on this one. I bet when they get back in stock the price will be lower than it is now. I only bought it because the price was super low and it has a gun scabbard which I will surely use. There is an amazon review for the item from another Honda Pioneer 500 owner. I didn't review it on amazon. If the price gets back down anywhere close to $30, you absolutely can't go wrong with this bag.

I'll get a pic of it one of these days... or I guess it never happened.

Reactions: trigger
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Went to load my P5 today and s***, no ramps! So I had to improvise, an 8' gate and a couple of cattle panels with a hay bale under the center for support!

Image Image Image

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Akfishbum

Akfishbum

Jul 9, 2015
Alaska
Ownership

1. 500
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Well it was not today but over the last week or so I gave the Beast a good work out moose hunting. Second year and it still surprises met what this little machine can do. This year I towed a guy and his wife out from about sixteen miles in they were on an Arctic cat ATV and stalled out going up a steep loose gravel hill and than it would not start. Tried jumping it no go so I towed them out. Sorry no pictures it was dark and we just wanted to get back to their truck but I only had one problem and that as the steep gravel hill, got about 1/ 2 way up and just started digging hold with all 4 tires, set the brakes went to the top turned around and winched it the rat of the way . After that it was smooth sailing even through 25 yards of tundra bog. Got my moose and hauled it all out quartered in one load. So real good trip for me.. Image Image

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Love that mountain view monte...majestic.
Thanks, we just love it too. The last time I brought the P5 out it was on a trailer with ramps. In the mean time I had hauled the trailer back to OK, and forgot about how I'd load the P5 when I came back this time. The Yellow Jackets been chomping at the bit to ride with his partner in crime (we go around stinging Rhinos and Can Am's) so I'm headed to Arkansas to ride the Ouachita's again next weekend. Have you found someone to ride with up your way? Btw, did you notice I got the septic installed? Mama's sooooo happy she doesn't have to go to the outhouse anymore! Just realized that it wasn't that noticeable so I added a better pic.

Last edited:
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
View attachment 22272 View attachment 22271 View attachment 22270 View attachment 22269 View attachment 22275 View attachment 22274 View attachment 22272 View attachment 22271 View attachment 22269 View attachment 22269 Well it was not today but over the last week or so I gave the Beast a good work out moose hunting. Second year and it still surprises met what this little machine can do. This year I towed a guy and his wife out from about sixteen miles in they were on an Arctic cat ATV and stalled out going up a steep loose gravel hill and than it would not start. Tried jumping it no go so I towed them out. Sorry no pictures it was dark and we just wanted to get back to their truck but I only had one problem and that as the steep gravel hill, got about 1/ 2 way up and just started digging hold with all 4 tires, set the brakes went to the top turned around and winched it the rat of the way . After that it was smooth sailing even through 25 yards of tundra bog. Got my moose and hauled it all out quartered in one load. So real good trip for me.. View attachment 22273 View attachment 22276
That's too cool. Honda proves itself again.

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks, we just love it too. The last time I brought the P5 out it was on a trailer with ramps. In the mean time I had hauled the trailer back to OK, and forgot about how I'd load the P5 when I came back this time. The Yellow Jackets been chomping at the bit to ride with his partner in crime (we go around stinging Rhinos and Can Am's) so I'm headed to Arkansas to ride the Ouachita's again next weekend. Have you found someone to ride with up your way? Btw, did you notice I got the septic installed? Mama's sooooo happy she doesn't have to go to the outhouse anymore! Just realized that it wasn't that noticeable so I added a better pic.

View attachment 22291

Yeah, I haven't ridden in a month. Too busy, weekends are spent on the addition.
Septic installed, gotta like that!

Reactions: rocmar
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Yeah, I haven't ridden in a month. Too busy, weekends are spent on the addition.
Septic installed, gotta like that!

Let's see pics of the addition!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Let's see pics of the addition!

Just an ugly, partially gutted room at the moment. This house was built in 1940 and there are lots of layers to take out. I've redone this whole house over the last 13 yrs, this is the last room left to be done. Only room still on knob and tube wiring. Have found interesting things when digging into it though. Front page of newspaper...Happy New Year 1941! A couple signed their names on the plaster, Sep. 12th 1964. He's still alive and lives in town, 78 yrs old. I always try to remember to sign and date a stud, it's cool to find that stuff 50 yrs later. I'll get some pics along the way.

Reactions: Rustell
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Just an ugly, partially gutted room at the moment. This house was built in 1940 and there are lots of layers to take out. I've redone this whole house over the last 13 yrs, this is the last room left to be done. Only room still on knob and tube wiring. Have found interesting things when digging into it though. Front page of newspaper...Happy New Year 1941! A couple signed their names on the plaster, Sep. 12th 1964. He's still alive and lives in town, 78 yrs old. I always try to remember to sign and date a stud, it's cool to find that stuff 50 yrs later. I'll get some pics along the way.
Oh I see, I misunderstood you then the last time we spoke of this. I was thinking you were building an addition to the MB and would still be working on that and hadn't opened the exterior wall to it yet. Some before and afters down the road would be cool. Knob and Tube, gotta love it. My lake house was built in 1947 and I think I finally have it all removed. I think the braided Romex arrived the next decade.

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I bought one of these back in June because the price ($29.95 shipped!!) seemed too good to be true:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DCTCGW6/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Well it came in a couple days after I bought it, and it is amazingly nice. The other day I took my Honda bed off for cleaning and I decided to try this bag out. It's awesome! I might not put the bed back on till spring... This bag easily fits a 30 pack - probably 2 if you remove the dividers - and has plenty of room to spare. The day I put it on, I went riding and got caught in a downpour for over an hour. And the buggy was parked outside for a while in the rain too. I had a few things in the bag. When I finally got home, I checked and the inside of the bag was almost completely dry. The inner wall was just slightly damp - no puddles or anything. I'm sure when I use silicone tent sealer on the outside of it, it will stay bone dry.

Right now, they are out of stock and the price went way up. If you're looking for some kind of cheap cargo bag, keep an eye on this one. I bet when they get back in stock the price will be lower than it is now. I only bought it because the price was super low and it has a gun scabbard which I will surely use. There is an amazon review for the item from another Honda Pioneer 500 owner. I didn't review it on amazon. If the price gets back down anywhere close to $30, you absolutely can't go wrong with this bag.

I'll get a pic of it one of these days... or I guess it never happened.

Here is a dusty pic of the bag.
13cd02f36ce16f2df268a8706a040e13

Newfiebullet

Newfiebullet

Apr 13, 2016
Labrador, Canada
Lol it was falling hard a few times this morning but nothing stayed down, ground is to warm yet. I must say it is nice weather for working, nice and cool and no flies.
I can remember as a kid that by Halloween we would be up to our knees in snow, not so much these days.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I cut down a 30 foot or so tall pine today to drop across a road that I wanted to block while being gone for a couple weeks and it started to fall the opisite direction that I wanted it to. So I stopped cutting through and got the P5 and hooked my winch to it, backed up what I considered to be a safe distance and pulled it over, but about 5 feet of the top branches of the pine slammed on top of the roof of the P5! Though I had to cut the branches off the P5 to get out from under it, no damage at all was sustained to the roof (or anything else for that matter) such is the thickness and durability of the Honda roof.

advertisement