What did you do to/with your Talon today?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Speaking of axle seals..... I tried ordering new F&R axle seals from Babbitts online and the fronts are not available. Is this a thing or is everyone just out of those seals? Luckily I didn't need the fronts and just wanted spares, but still....
My 2020 Talon's LF was leaking enough to puddle on the trailer when it had 300 miles on it. It was in the shop to get the seal replaced when it got stolen. They replaced it with a new 2021 (10 looooooong weeks later, 😥 covid dontchaknow). The '21's LF is leaking but only enough to dirty up the area. So, yes, it's a (sad) thing - bad Honda.
twak.gif

The '21 -

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I take the balls out of the cage, put the clip on the axle and then tap the inner bearing race onto the shaft.

Grease the balls individually, smear the cage with grease, fill the cup with grease. Push the whole thing into the cup and snap the large ring into the cup.
The new CV was really tight, I couldn't move anything without plugging the axle in. It was still a bit difficult to get the race up to the top/circlip. If I take it apart to pre grease and fill the cup, will it go back together reasonably easy?

Reactions: Buggyman
H

HondaTech

The new CV was really tight, I couldn't move anything without plugging the axle in. It was still a bit difficult to get the race up to the top/circlip. If I take it apart to pre grease and fill the cup, will it go back together reasonably easy?

Every one that I've done the way I described haven't felt tight to me. They won't be "loose" per se, but shouldn't need a bunch of force to move the cup.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
While I had the rear end apart to replace the heims in the L&W radius rods and the LR inner CV joint, I installed the double shear brackets I had bought earlier.

There has been enough breakage at the hub end of the radius rods that All Things UTV came out with the double shear brackets (they call them shear stoppers). Stock, the radius rods connect to studs sticking out. The bosses are fairly stout but still breakable.

Some of these aren't compatible with the L&W radius rods, the All Things UTV are. Not sure why I couldn't find these on the ATUTV site, all 'search' could find was the directions, so no link. 😧

The double shear brackets support the outer ends of the studs and tie in to the hub. We couldn't get the heims to press out of the L&W upper rods so I'm using the stock uppers for now.

This blocked bolt is the top one, the bottom one is equally unreachable. That will require removing the two bolts holding the caliper to the hub so I can get these two out to replace the brake pads. ETA: trial fit, finger tight, see the photo above for fully tightened.

This is the unreachable one on the bottom (on the right). The missing bolt holds the caliper and will have to be removed for pad changes, no big deal.

Well, doing the RR brake pads, I just learned the double shear brackets have to be removed completely to change pads, the caliper won't clear the rotor with them installed. 😥

Last edited:
F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Are you comfortable with the lack of full thread engagement on those? Standard engineering practice deems two exposed threads, this setup has none.

Reactions: Merlin and Dankathy
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Are you comfortable with the lack of full thread engagement on those? Standard engineering practice deems two exposed threads, this setup has none.
If you're referring to this photo, that's the trial fit up and finger tight.

This photo shows the studs are long enough to fit flush to the nut, utilizing all the threads. I'll add a note to that photo. 👍

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
U bastige. Imma werkin' my butt off and yer playin' yers off - life ain't fair. 😥 Gebuz, I'm 9k miles behind U, I need to ride more.
x.gif
I feel your pain, she says i have to wash it tomorrow

• Haha
Reactions: JenElio and CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I feel your pain, she says i have to wash it tomorrow
Her butt's tired and needs a rest.

Obtw: have you done seat risers yet? I met a guy in southern Utah in a Talon X. I was sitting in his driver's seat checking things out and he asked - 'notice anything different?'

Yes, by golly I do, I'm not being pushed forward by the seat in the small of my back.

He had installed seat risers but went with 1-1/2" in front and 1" in the rear, tilting the seat back 'some'. I liked it so much I went home and ordered a set of 1-1/2" Jeep seat risers from ebay and made a pair of 1" for the rear. Highpocket74 makes them now (1-1/2"). You'd still have to come up with 1" for the back. Someone else said the Jeep guys use hockey pucks, apparently they're 1". Note that the Talon seats have too much lumbar support IMO. With the seat laid back, my shoulders frequently don't touch the seat but it's better than before the tilt.

These took me too long to make from scrap I had handy and why there are a couple of extra holes, nuther project.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
No, I was referring to the tightened one, just even is not generally considered good enough as most bolt threads are tapered near the end, thus the need to have at least two extra threads beyond the nut.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
No, I was referring to the tightened one, just even is not generally considered good enough as most bolt threads are tapered near the end, thus the need to have at least two extra threads beyond the nut.
I had an engineer tell me a long time ago that 3 threads are all that's needed for full strength. Since I knew how smart he is, I've carried that information for decades. So I'm happy with flush. Two threads beyond the nut may be 'perfect' but this isn't the Space Shuttle.

• Haha
Reactions: JenElio and Smittyp
H

HondaTech

We've had more problems blowing the hole out of the front knuckle where the tie rod bolts to.

I dont believe we've ever broken the rear knuckle, even when the driver side wheel smacked a tree and flew off.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Her butt's tired and needs a rest.

Obtw: have you done seat risers yet? I met a guy in southern Utah in a Talon X. I was sitting in his driver's seat checking things out and he asked - 'notice anything different?'

Yes, by golly I do, I'm not being pushed forward by the seat in the small of my back.

He had installed seat risers but went with 1-1/2" in front and 1" in the rear, tilting the seat back 'some'. I liked it so much I went home and ordered a set of 1-1/2" Jeep seat risers from ebay and made a pair of 1" for the rear. Highpocket74 makes them now (1-1/2"). You'd still have to come up with 1" for the back. Someone else said the Jeep guys use hockey pucks, apparently they're 1". Note that the Talon seats have too much lumbar support IMO. With the seat laid back, my shoulders frequently don't touch the seat but it's better than before the tilt.

These took me too long to make from scrap I had handy and why there are a couple of extra holes, nuther project.
View attachment 359777
No, we're both over 6', haven't felt a need for risers yet. It's not uncommon for us to be out 7 to 9 hours a day, keep trying to talk her into (prp) suspension seats-no luck yet.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
No, we're both over 6', haven't felt a need for risers yet. It's not uncommon for us to be out 7 to 9 hours a day, keep trying to talk her into (prp) suspension seats-no luck yet.
fwiw: Lil Steve's used Talon came with PRP seats. After 3 days of climbing over the outside bolster every time we stopped, it got real old. They were really comfy and supportive, just a PITA to get in and out. 7 to 9 hours, that's a long day, you got yerself a keeper. 😍

amelung45x

amelung45x

Nov 20, 2020
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
This is the last pic I took. One of the many upgrades I did to my wrecked Talon.

Instrument panel relocation
Hess steering wheel and quick disconnect
Hess I4wheel drive override. Its sitting off to the side you cant see it.
Dynojet programmer to Hess tunes.
20221030 132519

Last edited:
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is the last pic I took. One of the many upgrades I did to my wrecked Talon.

Instrument panel relocation
Hess steering wheel and quick disconnect
Hess I4wheel drive override. Its sitting off to the side you cant see it.
Dynojet programmer to Hess tunes. View attachment 363338

Long time no see! Glad to see that you still have the Talon and are still working on it. Is it drivable now or is it still in the rebuild process?

amelung45x

amelung45x

Nov 20, 2020
Chillicothe, Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
Long time no see! Glad to see that you still have the Talon and are still working on it. Is it drivable now or is it still in the rebuild process?

What's going on. Its been a little bit lol. I've been a little busy the past couple of months. Between moving to a different state, starting a new job, buying a house, I now have time to put time and money back into it. It drivable. I took it out one last time in Missouri before I moved to Ohio. It ran very very well. Plus I missed driving it. Im still rebuilding it. I added a lot more aftermarket parts and body plastics. Just waiting on the few plastics to finish putting it all together. The rebuild is coming a long very well also. Im getting to know this machine inside and out unfortunately lol. Ill post pics and everything that I added to it once its finished. I was putting my front grill together today and found I had one of my headlight bezels was miss boxed. I need to send that back and get the right one. Getting that put together is on hold just like getting my front end and passenger rear fender because of waiting on body plastics and parts lol. Gotta love rebuilding lol. Its was nice to hear from you.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!