Talon What harness are you using?

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
I bought a set of dragon fire 3” and the bolt holes are too small due to the shoulder on the factory bolts. The seller said that they need to be drilled so needless to say, I screwed them up. I put them on the drill press and went through 2 bits trying to get through and the heat melted the belt.

I really need to get harness in this thing but I’ve already wasted time and money, so I’m looking for something that will fit.

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
Also, I tried to get new bolts at the hardware store and they look to be 12mm 1.25 pitch but they will not thread in. They are certainly not 1.5 pitch and certainly not 10 or 14mm so I’m a bit at a stand still.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
There is a bolt on the Pioneer that is not metric for some reasons or another.
Seems like it was the seat belts.
I dont remember.
Could be same on Talon.

Sorry. I know thats no help.

T

THUNDERMAN

Jun 22, 2019
SW VA
Ownership

1. Talon X
I also installed dragonfire 3" in my talon. I aimed the belts up towards the seat and tightened the shoulder bolt down. The metal piece doesn't swivel but works just fine.

H

HondaTech

As stated by @Neohio the seat belt bolts on Honda's SXS are the 7/16-20 and are the only non metric bolt on the unit that i'm aware of.

Good luck drilling through those brackets, there super hard.

I've ran into 2 Talons that have been installed with stock bolts, and there isn't a whole lot of threads in the hole. They also didn't pivot.

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
Seatbelt bolt is 7/16-20
Seriously an SAE bolt ugghhh. I’ll give that a shot tomorrow but I’ll still have to order a new harness for the one I jacked up.

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
As stated by @Neohio the seat belt bolts on Honda's SXS are the 7/16-20 and are the only non metric bolt on the unit that i'm aware of.

Good luck drilling through those brackets, there super hard.

I've ran into 2 Talons that have been installed with stock bolts, and there isn't a whole lot of threads in the hole. They also didn't pivot.
Yeah I ruined one the harness, I did get it drilled but melted the nylon strap. I was so p1$$ed off I couldn’t see straight. One of those moments when I wasn’t thinking things through. Why it the world did they use SAE bolts only for that?!

the best part is that the shop I bought them from told me to drill them, they neglected to mention that they are hardened ughhh

Last edited:
Reactions: Hondasxs
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
The whole 7/16x20 deal had me scratching my head as well. Go figure. I opted to replace the bolts. As stated previously, you are not going to successfully drill the tabs on the belts. They are some kind of hard. I love my Simpson D3 3" padded harnesses. They are 5 point. Simpson made hardware to connect the shoulder and lap belts so the end product is more of that V shape that traditional 5 point harnesses have. They are super comfortable.

Overview vid of the harnesses and the install on my channel...

H

HondaTech

Yeah I ruined one the harness, I did get it drilled but melted the nylon strap. I was so p1$$ed off I couldn’t see straight. One of those moments when I wasn’t thinking things through. Why it the world did they use SAE bolts only for that?!

the best part is that the shop I bought them from told me to drill them, they neglected to mention that they are hardened ughhh

Honda gets the seatbelts assembly from a supplier as a whole unit. I'm guessing those guys don't use metric hardware, I have no idea why they couldn't use metric.

Reactions: CincyCuda68
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honda gets the seatbelts assembly from a supplier as a whole unit. I'm guessing those guys don't use metric hardware, I have no idea why they couldn't use metric.

I believe it is a DOT Regulation for seatbelts that’s carried over to powersports since the seatbelt manufacturers are standardized.

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
Reactions: CID and Mudwing
Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I successfully drilled mine out on my LE and Talon.. Just a lot of patience and a good drill press vice.

Reactions: Remington
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used a carbide burr in my die grinder to open the hole on my harnesses. Took less than 3 minutes per tab to get it to fit.

Reactions: Tramguage1
J

Jay316

Jan 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
The whole 7/16x20 deal had me scratching my head as well. Go figure. I opted to replace the bolts. As stated previously, you are not going to successfully drill the tabs on the belts. They are some kind of hard. I love my Simpson D3 3" padded harnesses. They are 5 point. Simpson made hardware to connect the shoulder and lap belts so the end product is more of that V shape that traditional 5 point harnesses have. They are super comfortable.

Overview vid of the harnesses and the install on my channel...

That painted front end looks awesome.

Reactions: TerryH and CID
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!