P1000 What kind of trailer do you use to transport your P1k and what do you pull it with?

R

RiverratTX

Jun 11, 2018
Austin, TX
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I dont have any trouble at all with the new jeep. Took a couple of trial loads to find the sweet spot on the trailer. This is my second JGC the first being a V6, the new V8 20170916 211917 hemi flat out gets it done and load leveling suspension helps. I really feel so much safer with electric trailer brakes. I used this jeep to pull this boat from Kentucky Dam to Austin and it did great. Towing capacity is 7500 lbs but again getting the tongue weight correct is important
20170916 172622

S

Skjerv40

May 14, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have an 8x10 Bear Track aluminum trailer with built in ramp/back gate. I fits perfectly. Anything with 6 cylinders should pull it. Had the trailer before the Pioneer 1000-5. We have a fam of 5, and the wife said before buying, “We all ride or no one rides.” I went with the Honda because the crews of other companies are 3 feet longer. I would have had to get a different trailer. My father in law welds for Polaris in Roseau, MN(He’s on the traveling recall team. Ha!) and I live in Thief River Falls, MN the home of Textron/ Arctic Cat and have many friends and family employed there. Needless to say, my purchase didn’t fill some with joy, but most are quietly impressed by my Honda. Those other companies make great products, but I’m happy with the versatility my Honda provides. It’s a mean looking sob too for an off-road minivan! Just bought a hitch for our Chrysler van. I will have to post a pic of that convoy when complete. When your the dad of 3 little girls (8, 4, 10 months) pride goes out the window. I will be chauffeuring 3 fancy ladies to the dress up tea party at the public library in my pioneer today. Sure beats a pumpkin carriage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Looking at a 6x10, but was fearful it would be too small. I guess not after seeing your set up. I figured the length would be good, but worried the width would be close if I get larger wheels.

I only have about an inch or two on each side. It's snug and I plan on staying with stock rims, maybe 28" tires when these wear out.

Reactions: PAoutdoor and BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I guarantee the 7' will be too narrow. I tried it, and you just don't have the width to get in and out even if you are small.

You're right I don't think Ill even be able to open the doors, but I'm still young (enough) I was planning on crawling out the bed, the 8.5 are too heavy for a mid-sized SUV not to mention all the extra drag.

I just don't plan on buying a new truck just to pull a trailer once a month.

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
My son has 7’ enclosed. He borrowed Pioneer last year and no the door doesn’t open enough for his skinny ass. Had to crawl through

Reactions: BWAF and ohanacreek
tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I ended up with a 7 X 12 Aluma trailer that tilts with hydraulics to load and unload (no ramps). I put a 2' rock guard across the front, and the rig works great. It has 14" tires, and pulls like a dream with a Toyota Highlander. It isn't the cheapest trailer for sure, but I love it. I store the trailer outside, and I'll never worry about the deck of the aluminum trailer deteriorating either. I have a plywood decked trailer for utility, and I'm know the deck will be the first thing to go bad on it.

As note I posted in another post, a 7' wide enclosed trailer is not a viable option for the P1000. I tried hard to make it work, but it's just too narrow - trust me. And a 8' trailer introduces a lot of wind resistance, width concerns, and it gets into some real towing concerns. For a casual hauler with a regular vehicle, I think 8' enclosed is simply too much to handle.

Good luck.

(After reading and looking at some of the responses, I have decided that I really am a neophyte in this trailer game. I said 7' enclosed is too narrow, but some of you out there are a lot younger and willing to climb out of the cab by going over the bed. More power to you, I'm just too damned old for that. LOL I thought I had a nice rig, but I'm put to shame by some of the stuff you guys have.)

Last edited:
Reactions: BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ended up with a 7 X 12 Aluma trailer that tilts with hydraulics to load and unload (no ramps). I put a 2' rock guard across the front, and the rig works great. It has 14" tires, and pulls like a dream with a Toyota Highlander. It isn't the cheapest trailer for sure, but I love it. I store the trailer outside, and I'll never worry about the deck of the aluminum trailer deteriorating either. I have a plywood decked trailer for utility, and I'm know the deck will be the first thing to go bad on it.

As note I posted in another post, a 7' wide enclosed trailer is not a viable option for the P1000. I tried hard to make it work, but it's just too narrow - trust me. And a 8' trailer introduces a lot of wind resistance, width concerns, and it gets into some real towing concerns. For a casual hauler with a regular vehicle, I think 8' enclosed is simply too much to handle.

Good luck.

I have a 5000lb vehicle with a 5000lb tow rating and 450hp/tq along with a trailer brake controller. The 7' will work for me because I am willing to climb through the bed to get out. It also reduces the weight of the trailer by almost 1400lbs empty, by going from a 8.5x16Tandem 3500 to a 7x14Single 5200. It also drops me below 5000lbs loaded with Pioneer and all the crap for a Takeover trip so its easier on the tow vehicle.

A flatbed aluminum trailer really wouldn't save me any weight because to maintain the capacity/rigidity more aluminum has to be added, so while it may save me 200-300 lbs it ain't worth the premium since I don't live in a coastal or northern location where there is a lot of salt.

mjn

mjn

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 31, 2018
SE Washington State/N Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You're right I don't think Ill even be able to open the doors, but I'm still young (enough) I was planning on crawling out the bed, the 8.5 are too heavy for a mid-sized SUV not to mention all the extra drag.

I just don't plan on buying a new truck just to pull a trailer once a month.

Man.. you are correct about the extra drag.. My Superduty drops a solid 4mpg when I'm pulling my 20' enclosed. I knew it'd burn a bit more, but daaannngg!!

tincangob

tincangob

Nov 30, 2017
Central Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
View attachment 78638 12 ft Aluma Trailer, tilt, I love it. Pull it with my F150.
My favorite part is the tilt obviously, but my second favorite part is the single axle, and light weight. You can spin it circles easy with only one axle, back into corners of your garage by hand, or just move around easily.

Really nice rig. What are you using for wheel stops, and how are they fastened to the trailer? I have a similar type aluminum trailer, and would like to add the stops.

GRANITE

GRANITE

People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I will be selling my Diamond C 6.5x12’ trailer very soon. It’s perfect for hauling any Utv. I’m having a bigger one made...

ECD7B12E 260E 49ED 8746 0AB79A165FCF 0138E6EB 4AF8 4DDE BD9E B5F7D5BBCB7A

Reactions: Cuoutdoors and BWAF
L

LaHawk1

I noticed a few of you have Nissan Titans. I was curious if any have had their exhaust manifolds crack, if so do you know of a real fix. I had mine replaced at 105000 miles but now they need to be replaced again. This is getting old quick. If you have experience with an aftermarket fix that works please tell me about it.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!