Talon What paddles on stock rims

J

Jay316

Jan 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
I plan on getting paddles put on the stock rims but recommendations you guys got since the front rim is pretty narrow. Thanks
I just picked my Talon yesterday, yay me. While looking stuff over, I recall Rocky Mountain having Tusk paddles that go in a 15” rim. I have no idea how good they are. I usually ran ITP on my Raptor.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
BPINE

BPINE

Nov 15, 2019
San Jose, Ca
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
I wanted to use my stock wheels as well but am a bit concerned about the tire coming off with low pressure but sure hate to spend more money on bead locks if not necessary.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I wanted to use my stock wheels as well but am a bit concerned about the tire coming off with low pressure but sure hate to spend more money on bead locks if not necessary.

I'm not a sand guy, but how low are you talking? I've been running 32 carnivores in the snow at 2 lbs or even a little lower with no issues. I'm not going slow either.

Reactions: BPINE
BPINE

BPINE

Nov 15, 2019
San Jose, Ca
www.youtube.com
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm not a sand guy, but how low are you talking? I've been running 32 carnivores in the snow at 2 lbs or even a little lower with no issues. I'm not going slow either.

That sounds encouraging, Sand tire sidewalls are very soft I am not sure if that will make a difference.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X4
That sounds encouraging, Sand tire sidewalls are very soft I am not sure if that will make a difference.

That's what I was thinking also.

Another redneck trick I've used with big tires on a crawler in the snow is duct tape. Just wrap it around the wheel over the bead area. 2-3 wraps is all it takes, and it just tightens the seating of the tire. Only really needed for tires that don't seat tightly on the wheel.

M

Mforrest

Dec 30, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Got them mounted but won’t be able to test until next year
Got them mounted but won’t be able to test until next year

How did the 32” do? I would like to go with the ss360 as well but am afraid of too much power loss with the 32’s

J

Junkyard

Nov 20, 2020
San diego
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I recently got a talon and put ss360 sand tires. Got the 30’s and different width wheels, just followed what chapperel motor sports sells as a set. Got a ok deal with Black Friday and easy to mount on beadlocks.

mines an x4, i did find one sand hill I couldn’t go up but not many. I tried more air pressure this time and got wheel hop so I’ll go back down. 10psi front and 12 back was too much, which I assumed but tried anyway. At the same psi the tire diameters where off by an inch.

I found that it could bog going up hills so I’m glad I went with the 30’s.

ive only had sand rails before and not in 15 years. Quite a different experience.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I recently got a talon and put ss360 sand tires. Got the 30’s and different width wheels, just followed what chapperel motor sports sells as a set. Got a ok deal with Black Friday and easy to mount on beadlocks.

mines an x4, i did find one sand hill I couldn’t go up but not many. I tried more air pressure this time and got wheel hop so I’ll go back down. 10psi front and 12 back was too much, which I assumed but tried anyway. At the same psi the tire diameters where off by an inch.

I found that it could bog going up hills so I’m glad I went with the 30’s.

ive only had sand rails before and not in 15 years. Quite a different experience.
I have some similar type tires (but 28") and have been running them for 2 seasons. I have found the following...
  • 6 PSI rear and 5 PSI front works the best for me. I have an R with some extras and weigh in at 1850 lbs. A near stock X4 will be about the same weight. If you have a lot of additions or carry 4 people, adjust your air pressure accordingly.
  • I almost exclusively use i4WD at the sand dunes. Not only for traction, but for handling and safety. The machine maneuvers better. I once tipped my machine because it was (mistakenly) in 2WD and when I tried to power out, it failed to pull the right front tire out of a ditch it was in and caused the rear to slide sideways and laid me on my side. Had I been in i4WD, it would have pulled me out of the predicament I was in.
  • Auto and Sport mode work fine as long as you are not climbing any hills. The DCT programming does not understand sand and attempts to keep the wheels from spinning and will shift you up out of the power band. For hills, put it in manual and keep the wheels spinning slightly and the RPM at 6500 to 8500 until you crest the hill.

Reactions: BPINE
M

Mforrest

Dec 30, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I have some similar type tires (but 28") and have been running them for 2 seasons. I have found the following...
  • 6 PSI rear and 5 PSI front works the best for me. I have an R with some extras and weigh in at 1850 lbs. A near stock X4 will be about the same weight. If you have a lot of additions or carry 4 people, adjust your air pressure accordingly.
  • I almost exclusively use i4WD at the sand dunes. Not only for traction, but for handling and safety. The machine maneuvers better. I once tipped my machine because it was (mistakenly) in 2WD and when I tried to power out, it failed to pull the right front tire out of a ditch it was in and caused the rear to slide sideways and laid me on my side. Had I been in i4WD, it would have pulled me out of the predicament I was in.
  • Auto and Sport mode work fine as long as you are not climbing any hills. The DCT programming does not understand sand and attempts to keep the wheels from spinning and will shift you up out of the power band. For hills, put it in manual and keep the wheels spinning slightly and the RPM at 6500 to 8500 until you crest the hill.
What other type do you have? I didn’t know there were others out there. ( besides true paddles)

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
QuadBoss makes some. They are OK. I recommend them if you have a lot of rocks and other non sand surfaces at your dunes or are new at dunes because they are pretty tough. They hold up better than Scats under those types of conditions.

If you have good dunes or are experienced enough to avoid the crap, then get yourself some Skats. A couple in our group run 30" Skats. I keep up with them until we get to the hills. Now that I have some experience, I will get some Skats this spring. They now make a tire appropriately called "The Talon" :)

Reactions: Mforrest
J

Junkyard

Nov 20, 2020
San diego
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

thanks for the advice, I’m mostly taking my kids around so Im more safety oriented these days.
I’m going to try the manual hill climbing over the next couple days.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!