BOX1

Talon What you don't like about the Talon...

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Nahhh. 32” Blackwaters or 34” Terrabites

After what I learned in my Roctane XD experiences from OEM to 30" back to 28" then back to OEM. I will be very picky on tire weight this time. Many of those 32" & 34" tires weighs 48-54 pounds each vs. approximately 34 pounds on the OEM Talon tires, (basing this off 32# weight of 27" Pioneer OEM tires).

All of that unsprung weight and rotational mass will have a huge effect on suspension performance, acceleration performance, and wear and tear on driveline and steering rack.

There are a few 30x10x15 tires that weighs 37-38 pounds these might prove to be just the right combination all around. Leaning toward the 32" Terrabites.

Looking at:

Tusk Terrabites 30x10x15, 28" diameter, 35.5# weight.

Tusk Terrabites 32x10x15 31" diameter, 39.5# weight.

STI Chicane 30x10x15 30.3" diameter, 36.5# weight.

ITP Ultracross R Spec 30x10x15, 30.3" diameter, 36.2# weight.

ITP Ultracross R Spec 32x10x15 diameter 32.3" weight 39.5# weight.

---------

The only Roctane XD in 15" wheel is 34x10x15 and weight 56# per tire.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After what I learned in my Roctane XD experiences from OEM to 30" back to 28" then back to OEM. I will be very picky on tire weight this time. Many of those 32" & 34" tires weighs 48-54 pounds each vs. approximately 34 pounds on the OEM Talon tires, (basing this off 32# weight of 27" Pioneer OEM tires).

All of that unsprung weight and rotational mass will have a huge effect on suspension performance, acceleration performance, and wear and tear on driveline and steering rack.

There are a few 30x10x15 tires that weighs 37-38 pounds these might prove to be just the right combination all around. Leaning toward the 32" Terrabites.

Looking at:

---------

Blackwaters
30x10-15 - 33lbs each
32x10-15 - 36.8lbs Each

I have beat on the Blackwaters on two machines now and haven't had issues from them at all.

By the time I pick up a Talon y'all will have everything figured out anyway.

J

JTW

Blackwaters
30x10-15 - 33lbs each
32x10-15 - 36.8lbs Each

I have beat on the Blackwaters on two machines now and haven't had issues from them at all.

If I didn’t run blacktop between farms I would go Evos

Reactions: ohanacreek
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Blackwaters
30x10-15 - 33lbs each
32x10-15 - 36.8lbs Each

Good to hear on the Blackwater's.
I'm going to be bench racing with you about the Talon for the next year myself .

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member

Looking at:

---------

Should have come stock with 30s.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep, one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Stuff like this makes me wonder what kinda of incompetents they have working there. And if they can't get this right then what else did they fail on. No reason why both seats wouldn't be identical, and they should be identical, for many reasons.

Looks to me like they tried to push the center console off center to give the driver more room. May be intentional to give a better feeling of space to the driver during a test ride by himself, only to hear his wife complain about being cramped soon as he gets home... or it could be off center due to poor designing. Either way this will drive me nuts. Had a great symmetrical dash going on, and then this. Just added manufacturing expense for no reason, aftermarket seat covers, after market seats...

Screenshot 20181208 125658

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Yep, one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Stuff like this makes me wonder what kinda of incompetents they have working there. And if they can't get this right then what else did they fail on. No reason why both seats wouldn't be identical, and they should be identical, for many reasons.

Looks to me like they tried to push the center console off center to give the driver more room. May be intentional to give a better feeling of space to the driver during a test ride by himself, only to hear his wife complain about being cramped soon as he gets home... or it could be off center due to poor designing. Either way this will drive me nuts. Had a great symmetrical dash going on, and then this. Just added manufacturing expense for no reason, aftermarket seat covers, after market seats...

View attachment 96895
The P1 driver side bench seat is wider than the passenger side also. Also the Talons driver seat slides and passenger is fixed.

CTDpower

CTDpower

Jul 21, 2016
Gypsum, Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The P1 driver side bench seat is wider than the passenger side also. Also the Talons driver seat slides and passenger is fixed.

Ah crap, I just went and measured it and now you just made me hate my p1000 lol. Just kidding. A little different scenario when it is a bench, since really that is all one seat anyway. These seats should be identical. If you rip a seat bottom, it shouldn't matter if it is driver or passenger, you just buy a seat bottom and it is the same for either side. Same for seat backs. It also shouldn't matter if one side is adjustable. Once there is a 4 seater version, all 4 should be the same.

My brothers Viking 6 has six identical seat bottoms, backs and headrest. Some people call that cheap looking, I call it smart. He ripped the driver and just swapped it out for like the middle rear.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Ah crap, I just went and measured it and now you just made me hate my p1000 lol. Just kidding. A little different scenario when it is a bench, since really that is all one seat anyway. These seats should be identical. If you rip a seat bottom, it shouldn't matter if it is driver or passenger, you just buy a seat bottom and it is the same for either side. Same for seat backs. It also shouldn't matter if one side is adjustable. Once there is a 4 seater version, all 4 should be the same.

My brothers Viking 6 has six identical seat bottoms, backs and headrest. Some people call that cheap looking, I call it smart. He ripped the driver and just swapped it out for like the middle rear.
Haha. It does look like the seat backs are the same. We'll find out more when the part numbers come out. Should be cheaper replacing a seat bottom than a whole bench seat though.

H

HondaTech

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if you could put a drivers side bottom on the passengers side.

Somewhere I saw a picture that a reviewer had of just the two seat frames. It would interesting to see if you could make the passengers adjustable as well.

Edit: Looks like seat bottoms just clip in like atv seats and the rears on 4 seaters.

Honda talon 1000X detail utvunderground 55

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It doesn't come equipped with a buffet. It doesn't fly or travel through time, nor is it a submarine. Also, it lacks tentacles...with grappling hook pinchers...

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One of the reasons I'm looking at a 1000-5 is for seating and space. Looking at the Talon, it looks like I'd not have much more room than a 500. A 4-5 seat talon would be the perfect machine in mine eyes.

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Well if this is all you have to complain about I don't know what the big deal is. The Talon is a purpose built machine. I'm not sure why you would expect a trailer hitch or an open rear end. Race cars don't have open rear ends. They are made to go and go fast. This isn't made for driving around the yard. Im sure you'll be able to get a bolt on hitch if you really need it or have one made.

I get that folks want manual diff lock. To me that is an old school way of thinking and you've got to try the I4wd. It is awesome! I have seen a lot of axles break in diff lock and I have yet to find a situation where manual diff lock would have been better than I4wd. The biggest difference is how much easier it is to drive in i4wd. You don't have the harsh steering and the feeling of the drive line binding up. I used it plowing snow over the weekend and LOVED it! The i4wd works amazingly well and anyone that wants to try it is welcome to drive mine.

Folks can sit back and say "all that fancy electronic s*** is just something else to break" and you'll be left sitting in the dark ages. Or they can recognize that it greatly enhances the ability of the machine and the driver experience. Like sharp said, everyone was b****ing about the electronic shift on the atv's and here we are over 15 years later and I don't think I've ever heard a single person say theirs failed. We have basically seen intelligent 4wd in vehicles for over 15 years as well. It's about time they start using it in the off road market.

The really bad thing about my LE is I can't get aftermarket axles so, only Portals work for lifting an LE.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I had a big wish list for this thing... so far here are the things I think they did wrong:

-No trailer hitch receiver.
- i4wd (No manual diff lock version).

No hitch is just dumb, and the i4wd might be a deal breaker for me. As far as I'm concerned the manual diff locks/drivetrain on my pioneer is mostly a win (could only be better if the diffs were independently lockable). I don't care for the i4wd, the hill start assist, or the fancy braking deal they've got. In my opinion that will just be more stuff to stop working down the road.

Does anyone know if the 2wd setting will be a locked rear diff, or will it be open? I assume it will be open, which is how I drive the pioneer 90% of the time, but being able to run locked 2wd would be fun in the talon... course with i4wd I guess that isn't possible.

It gets me how people in general are so averse, even prejudice against new technology making things easier, better performing, etc. In particular all the I-4WD hate, usually from people who have never tried it.

First it was all manual transmissions with clutch lever / pedals then automatic clutches in ATC & Fourtrax, etc. Then fully automatic transmissions and dual clutch transmissions. How much easier is this technology making your off road driving experience compared to having to contend with a clutch pedal in a SXS trail riding.

Machines used to have carburetors and were cold nature startup b****es with chokes, now we have fuel injection standard. How much easier starting and improved performance results from this technology?

Used to have only recoil and kick starters, now electric starters are standard on everything. How much easier has this technology made getting your machines going? Imagine trying to start that 1000 cc twin ala Honda Odyssey style with a pull rope.

Honda came out with the ESP electronic shifter decades ago, still by and far a very reliable system. Then introduced DCT on the Fourtrax ATV and motorcycles, several years in now proving to work great in a variety of applications.

So while the uninitiated bag on the I-4WD for what they think it is or isn't.

I say enjoy yourself a simple SXS with ballon tires, no high tech suspension, recoil starter & manual choke so you dont have to rely on electronic technology while pumping that clutch pedal going up a Widowmaker type hill to keep from killing the engine.

Yeah all that simple stuff sounds like fun, no thanks. Sarcasm /off
:mad:

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!