BOX1

Talon What you don't like about the Talon...

J

JTW

It gets me how people in general are so averse, even prejudice against new technology making things easier, better performing, etc. In particular all the I-4WD hate, usually from people who have never tried it.

First it was all manual transmissions with clutch lever / pedals then automatic clutches in ATC & Fourtrax, etc. Then fully automatic transmissions and dual clutch transmissions. How much easier is this technology making your off road driving experience compared to having to contend with a clutch pedal in a SXS trail riding.

Machines used to have carburetors and were cold nature startup b****es with chokes, now we have fuel injection standard. How much easier starting and improved performance results from this technology?

Used to have only recoil and kick starters, now electric starters are standard on everything. How much easier has this technology made getting your machines going? Imagine trying to start that 1000 cc twin ala Honda Odyssey style with a pull rope.

Honda came out with the ESP electronic shifter decades ago, still by and far a very reliable system. Then introduced DCT on the Fourtrax ATV and motorcycles, several years in now proving to work great in a variety of applications.

So while the uninitiated bag on the I-4WD for what they think it is or isn't.

I say enjoy yourself a simple SXS with ballon tires, no high tech suspension, recoil starter & manual choke so you dont have to rely on electronic technology while pumping that clutch pedal going up a Widowmaker type hill to keep from killing the engine.

Yeah all that simple stuff sounds like fun, no thanks. Sarcasm /off
:mad:
Well, if you want to go down that road with your thinking that’s fine. But how many of those technological advances took years and years of refinement before it was worth a s***? I see the advantage of the i4wd system but you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think there are some disadvantages and potential issues that are yet to come. In 5-10 years I’m sure it will be the cats ass. But in the mean time, I’m not gunna get on all 4’s and stroke its wheels sensors.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Well, if you want to go down that road with your thinking that’s fine. But how many of those technological advances took years and years of refinement before it was worth a s***? I see the advantage of the i4wd system but you’re kidding yourself if you don’t think there are some disadvantages and potential issues that are yet to come. In 5-10 years I’m sure it will be the cats ass. But in the mean time, I’m not gunna get on all 4’s and stroke its wheels sensors.
Took em a little bit to get the dct right, and no one knew a problem existed for a little while and the whole time people said it was how you drove then some of the same people got the update and said this is how it should’ve been. I haven’t yet seen a i4wd that was rode hard through everything like the DX.
I guess my whole deal with it is I don’t see advantage other then being easier to steer in 4loc. All of us liked the old system. I personally don’t see the reason to add complexity and cost for little advantage when you possibly loose a bit of traction to add it. Everything comes with a price. If it comes down to it I’d be forced to buy it but doesn’t mean a like it. Not saying it’s bad just wish we still had a choice.
As far as not owning one yet commenting on it, there’s a reason I haven’t owned it and that’s because prior there was a choice and everyone comments to something they didn’t or wouldn’t own including the people that are 100% for the new drive setup. Everyone likes new tech till their rig is in the shop with 8k price tag just to get fuel to the engine.

J

JTW

Took em a little bit to get the dct right, and no one knew a problem existed for a little while and the whole time people said it was how you drove then some of the same people got the update and said this is how it should’ve been. I haven’t yet seen a i4wd that was rode hard through everything like the DX.
I guess my whole deal with it is I don’t see advantage other then being easier to steer in 4loc. All of us liked the old system. I personally don’t see the reason to add complexity and cost for little advantage when you possibly loose a bit of traction to add it. Everything comes with a price. If it comes down to it I’d be forced to buy it but doesn’t mean a like it. Not saying it’s bad just wish we still had a choice.
As far as not owning one yet commenting on it, there’s a reason I haven’t owned it and that’s because prior there was a choice and everyone comments to something they didn’t or wouldn’t own including the people that are 100% for the new drive setup. Everyone likes new tech till their rig is in the shop with 8k price tag just to get fuel to the engine.
I can see the advantage... it makes it easier to operate and the potential for benefit when you’re going up or thru something without having to shift on the fly. I had been on the fence about the “lag” but from what I’m hearing, it’s non existent. I do wonder how it will handle bigger tires and lift and the durability of the components all together. But time will tell. This whole aversion to technology thing keeps being brought up... but we all know what LE stands for. So if the next technology advancement is Honda virtual reality, where you don’t even have to leave the couch to “ride”... will the holdouts be stupid for not jumping on that bandwagon? I mean... that makes for lesser excursions alright!

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
It gets me how people in general are so averse, even prejudice against new technology making things easier, better performing, etc. In particular all the I-4WD hate, usually from people who have never tried it.

First it was all manual transmissions with clutch lever / pedals then automatic clutches in ATC & Fourtrax, etc. Then fully automatic transmissions and dual clutch transmissions. How much easier is this technology making your off road driving experience compared to having to contend with a clutch pedal in a SXS trail riding.

Machines used to have carburetors and were cold nature startup b****es with chokes, now we have fuel injection standard. How much easier starting and improved performance results from this technology?

Used to have only recoil and kick starters, now electric starters are standard on everything. How much easier has this technology made getting your machines going? Imagine trying to start that 1000 cc twin ala Honda Odyssey style with a pull rope.

Honda came out with the ESP electronic shifter decades ago, still by and far a very reliable system. Then introduced DCT on the Fourtrax ATV and motorcycles, several years in now proving to work great in a variety of applications.

So while the uninitiated bag on the I-4WD for what they think it is or isn't.

I say enjoy yourself a simple SXS with ballon tires, no high tech suspension, recoil starter & manual choke so you dont have to rely on electronic technology while pumping that clutch pedal going up a Widowmaker type hill to keep from killing the engine.

Yeah all that simple stuff sounds like fun, no thanks. Sarcasm /off
:mad:
Hey @Cuoutdoors , what are your thoughts on this i4wd discussion?;)

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
There goes the neighborhood;)
It’s a good thing we all have a difference in opinion. Hell I miss locking hubs lol. I guess I’m pretty old school when it comes to running gear for off road.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
There goes the neighborhood;)
It’s a good thing we all have a difference in opinion. Hell I miss locking hubs lol. I guess I’m pretty old school when it comes to running gear for off road.
Not trying to be a dick, just don’t like the condescending attitude toward folks that would rather a choice. I’m with you, I don’t want to pay the extra money for that system when I’m perfectly happy with the current one. Does that mean we are ignorant Neanderthal’s,? I’m not arguing either way on the effectiveness of the i4wd system, I just don’t think it’s worth the money currently.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not trying to be a dick, just don’t like the condescending attitude toward folks that would rather a choice. I’m with you, I don’t want to pay the extra money for that system when I’m perfectly happy with the current one. Does that mean we are ignorant Neanderthal’s,? I’m not arguing either way on the effectiveness of the i4wd system, I just don’t think it’s worth the money currently.
I thought what they had going before was pretty good idea to have different packages people could choose. I think they did that to test the i4wd but would’ve been awesome to have a choice, heck could’ve even added 3.0 Fox to the higher end and maybe a couple other goodies and both would sell.
One thing Polaris is good at is having many versions of a sport. People like to choose. X and R is pretty good start but low and high end would’ve been awesome.
Either way I can’t wait to test drive the machine. Seems like forever till that’s possible. Honda needs to allow people to test these and post to keep the hype up and satisfy our craving till it comes out.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I’m thinking to maximize suspension travel they had to use the smallest differentials they could. It might be that the larger differential with the locker would also change the suspension set up. My guess is that it was a give-and-take.

That could be why the rear differential is always locked and the front differential is also set as a LS.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
If the Talon sells, and there is a problem with the I4WD, there will probably be an aftermarket fix for a full lock setup like they have for the canam. The I4WD brake pump alone is over $1k. That being said, it wouldn't have cost Honda hardly anything to include a lock option with the I4WD.

J

JTW

If the Talon sells, and there is a problem with the I4WD, there will probably be an aftermarket fix for a full lock setup like they have for the canam. The I4WD brake pump alone is over $1k. That being said, it wouldn't have cost Honda hardly anything to include a lock option with the I4WD.
That’s what I would have been interested in. I’d want a turf in the back and a full lock option up front. Maybe you wouldn’t ever need it with i4wd but I’m betting most off-roaders would buy it.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
That’s what I would have been interested in. I’d want a turf in the back and a full lock option up front. Maybe you wouldn’t ever need it with i4wd but I’m betting most off-roaders would buy it.
What the pioneer has but with I4WD for the 3WD selection would be awesome. I use Turf on the trails more than 4WD mainly for the turning radius and it will go just about anywhere in turf. I think I will miss Turf mode more than a locked front. Especially with the added wheelbase.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Lol as I was reading through these I thought I'm gonna tag that f***er Tiger. Then I got to your post Lol .....look at all these guys with opinions and have never driven one.

Some of the quotes are hilarious....

I dont see any advantage to power windows except it's easier to roll down....better just stick to manual. Can't trust those electronics. Just one more thing to break.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
While you guys are all b****ing about i4wd I want to know why we can't have a g damn switch instead of a lever. Polaris has been using it for 10 years and we still have levers and cables. They always get rusty and messed up. You can have your diff lock but let's at least get a switch instead of a lever.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
. Does that mean we are ignorant Neanderthal’s,?

I’m not arguing either way on the effectiveness of the i4wd system, I just don’t think it’s worth the money currently.

Yes I'm just kidding.

Is it worth the money? Meh time will tell. I'm only at 250 miles so it's hard to say. But probably. What would you say that upgrade costs?

I think it's kind of one of those things nobody thinks they would like that much until they have it. Kind of like bluetooth, wi-fi, Amazon Alexa, etc. Maybe a poor analogy. What I'm saying is there is a pattern to the way people adapt and include technology. You guys will come around

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
While you guys are all b****ing about i4wd I want to know why we can't have a g damn switch instead of a lever. Polaris has been using it for 10 years and we still have levers and cables. They always get rusty and messed up. You can have your diff lock but let's at least get a switch instead of a lever.

The Polaris system sucks. It doesn’t have 4wd unless back tires are slipping already. Gets you into trouble, I’ve always been scared of our Polaris at high speeds. Easy to break stuff that way too especially jumping or having tires of the ground. That’s one big reason I always liked the Honda and Yami setup

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
What the pioneer has but with I4WD for the 3WD selection would be awesome. I use Turf on the trails more than 4WD mainly for the turning radius and it will go just about anywhere in turf. I think I will miss Turf mode more than a locked front. Especially with the added wheelbase.
I also wanted i4wd and 4 lock. That would be nice but after a while I think you'd find yourself using i4 the most.

I am amazed where it goes in turf mode. Especially when you have 2 guys and a little weight in the back. Its impressive.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The Polaris system sucks. It doesn’t have 4wd unless back tires are slipping already. Gets you into trouble, I’ve always been scared of our Polaris at high speeds. Easy to break stuff that way too especially jumping or having tires of the ground. That’s one big reason I always liked the Honda and Yami setup
I didn't say I want the polaris 4wd. I want a switch. Like most trucks on the road have nowadays. A switch/knob and a few other parts can do everything a lever can.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Lol as I was reading through these I thought I'm gonna tag that f***er Tiger. Then I got to your post Lol .....look at all these guys with opinions and have never driven one.

Some of the quotes are hilarious....

I dont see any advantage to power windows except it's easier to roll down....better just stick to manual. Can't trust those electronics. Just one more thing to break.

Hey,

I have hand crank windows in my 07 Chevrolet pickup ;) [HASHTAG]#oldschool[/HASHTAG]

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey,

I have hand crank windows in my 07 Chevrolet pickup ;) [HASHTAG]#oldschool[/HASHTAG]

I have manual door locks/manual crank windows/manual lock front hubs/manual heat controls (no AC at all) in my 1996 F350. Just hit 60k miles in it this weekend. lol

Edit..typo

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have manual door locks/manual crank windows/manual lock front hubs/manual heat controls (no AC at all) in my 1996 F350. Just hit 60k miles in it this weekend. lol

Edit..typo
I wish my pickup had manual windows. There’s 10x the electronics running them as the engine and they’ve already failed. I’m sure @Tigermark noticed the window being open with snow falling. Luckily it won’t throw a code and leave ya stranded, plus with cars it’s easy to find used or aftermarket parts.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!