Talon What you don't like about the Talon...

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is my first post and a few concerns with the Talon... I love the HP/Weight ratio of mountain sleds(my sled 160hp/480lbs) and Sprint Cars(410sprint 950hp/1400lbs). The Talon looks awesome for a starter machine, with that low of HP I would expect a lot smaller machine. I was hoping for a far better motor. To start Honda offers 136hp in the cbr1000rr bike that weighs a lot less than a sxs. Why can’t we have 200hp in a sxs, 400hp even. The HP to weight ratio in sxs has a long ways to catch up for us none turboed HP junkies. I will still buy a talon because it’s a Honda and has The DCT (wish it had 10 gears so I could run in low to make up for low HP) with one condition... will I fit in it?
I am 6’6” and 280lbs, I had to make changes to fit in my pioneer with a heal riser to keep from cramping while running the pedals. I’m hoping I don’t have to cut up the Talon to fit in it. Nobody thinks of the big guys when making cabs.

You mentioned the RR... this wasn’t Honda first bike. They have already said they have a lot more sxs models coming in the next 24 months. My guess is they will have a 1000RR sxs. It will be 72” and with a turbo... will be the race machine everyone seems to think they want... patience is a virtue. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This is my first post and a few concerns with the Talon... I love the HP/Weight ratio of mountain sleds(my sled 160hp/480lbs) and Sprint Cars(410sprint 950hp/1400lbs). The Talon looks awesome for a starter machine, with that low of HP I would expect a lot smaller machine. I was hoping for a far better motor. To start Honda offers 136hp in the cbr1000rr bike that weighs a lot less than a sxs. Why can’t we have 200hp in a sxs, 400hp even. The HP to weight ratio in sxs has a long ways to catch up for us none turboed HP junkies. I will still buy a talon because it’s a Honda and has The DCT (wish it had 10 gears so I could run in low to make up for low HP) with one condition... will I fit in it?
I am 6’6” and 280lbs, I had to make changes to fit in my pioneer with a heal riser to keep from cramping while running the pedals. I’m hoping I don’t have to cut up the Talon to fit in it. Nobody thinks of the big guys when making cabs.

CT racing engines did a review of the talon and he is 6’4”. He said he was hoping he wouldn’t have to do modifications but he will need to do some... FYI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I thought it was the other way around, HA!

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
To start Honda offers 136hp in the cbr1000rr bike that weighs a lot less than a sxs.
Welcome to the Talon circus.
I don't keep up with sportbikes much these days, but 136 sounds closer to a 600RR. I owned a 1st gen CBR1000RR back in 2004, and as i recall, they were around 140-150 at the rear wheel. And they were nothing special.
But...if true, that might be why you have to wait for the cameras to start panning back towards 10th place to see one in WSBK.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

50f65650edab80b8dab48b41bfeb1e10

The bigger you are the less horsepower you need and the more torque. Without going into a long explanation, very basically Torque is a how well you use Horsepower.

Which is why you see diesels with double the torque vs horsepower. You won’t see a corvette type motor in a 350/3500 truck.

I wish they could put the Goldwing motor in there some of those things weigh 1000+ by the time the old folks add all their kuryaken crap and chrome.

can’t exceed 999cc though. Hard to get lots of reliable torque AND horsepower out of 999cc.

C

Chadwick1968

Oct 7, 2018
Angola la
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I think this will be a huge hit. It will grow on us and become very popular. We b****ed about the P1000 more and still do but Honda sells them every day.

I love the 1000R. It’s the same width as my pioneer so that’s cool. Looks to be able to hold a 30-32” tire easily. The bed storage is super nice. One might could even do an Overland trip with that size.

We just got two new models and I bet we see more. Plus the aftermarket will be all over this thing so the next couple of years will be awesome.

I can’t wait to test drive
What’s the price anyone know of the talons

Eslinger_18

Eslinger_18

Wake up and piss excellence!
Supporting Member
Aug 28, 2018
Mt. Angel, OR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah, I’m very skeptical of the i4wd also. I’ve never driven one though. I hope to get to test the i4wd some day in a pioneer so I have a direct comparison.
I have the LE pioneer and my buddy has the deluxe. The only difference we have noticed between the 2 rigs is he has to stop and shift out of "4wd lock" once we have been through a rough spot and I don't. The i4wd has proven itself to me.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have the LE pioneer and my buddy has the deluxe. The only difference we have noticed between the 2 rigs is he has to stop and shift out of "4wd lock" once we have been through a rough spot and I don't. The i4wd has proven itself to me.
I don’t stop for transfer case selection. You just need to make sure wheels aren’t spinning at different speeds. Shift on fly is all we’ve ever done.

advertisement
jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
think the only thing people aren't going to like is the price, Honda is normally pretty proud of their stuff. why this pioneer is the first Honda ive bought the only time ive looked and thought they were worth the price they wanted in 30 years of buying atvs and whatever. probably going to be the same as whatever sport machine is most expensive id say between the yxz and can am probably about 20

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I don’t stop for transfer case selection. You just need to make sure wheels aren’t spinning at different speeds. Shift on fly is all we’ve ever done.
what about turf to 2wd lock? Ive always stopped because i tend to play it safe. but mine never switches until im moving anyway.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
what about turf to 2wd lock? Ive always stopped because i tend to play it safe. but mine never switches until im moving anyway.
I’ve personally never worried about any of it. A few guys here are the same way. I just make sure I’m not spinning, let off the throttle a bit and go. I know there’s a warning so I won’t suggest it but that’s how we shift.

Last edited:
Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I’ve personally never worried about any of it. A few guys here are the same way. I just make sure I’m not spinning, let off the throttle a bit and go. I know there’s a warning so I won’t suggest it but that’s how we shift.
So what im hearing is I should shift on the fly and nothing will ever break and its what you are suggesting we all do? Just want to make sure I was reading that right haha.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So what im hearing is I should shift on the fly and nothing will ever break and its what you are suggesting we all do? Just want to make sure I was reading that right haha.
Correct...lol.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Correct...lol.

He means shift on the fly for Turf/2wd/4wd/diff lock. NOT the transfer case for high and low. Do not shift that while moving!

Last edited:
joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
By the way, I never stop for mode selection either. Even on the P700, if I wanted 4wd, I didn’t stop. Just don’t do it under a lot of power where there’s some spinning. 10 mph or 40 mph it doesn’t matter to me...I’ll shift it.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
He means shift on the fly for Turf/2wd/4wd/diff lock. NOT the transfer case. Do not shift that while moving!
Yes if that got screwed up somehow NOT LOW/HIGH!!! Was meaning ONLY wheel selection! If I worded something incorrectly that was not intent. Only wheel selection though it not gearing!!

Reactions: joeymt33
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!