P500 Winter Rig

IdBuckshot

IdBuckshot

Aug 28, 2018
Northern Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Howdy from Idaho!

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to detail the mods they've made to their P500's. It was sure nice having all of you blaze the trail. I found this forum last summer while researching my next cat hunting machine. The P500 seemed like the best option except for the lack of a locker in the front but thanks to the forum I learned a locker was coming so I pulled the trigger on a new machine. I've got it put together and have put some hunting miles on it now and I'm pretty happy with it. Pretty much everything I did to it I was able to learn about here. Off the top of my head here's what I've done:

Camso tracks
TorqLocker
Windshield, back window and roof
Manual windshield wiper
Heater/defrost
4500# Winch
Removed seat belts and hump
LED pod lights to the sides
Snap--in rubber sheet under/behind seats
Dog box with lots of top storage

I chose not to install power steering because I felt that it just wouldn't be able to cope with the tracks and would fail. It steers surprisingly easily as long as you're moving at least a little.

Now that it's past the trial period and I know I'll be keeping it I'll be installing an 8 gallon auxiliary fuel cell. The 5 gallon factory tank doesn't keep those tracks turning for long! The fuel cell will sit on top of the dog box and be tapped into the factory tank so when I start running low I can just open a valve and let it gravity feed into the tank. I haven't been able to find anything on the forum to help me with this project but I guess it's probably not really an issue unless you're running tracks. I've got most of the parts and pieces gathered so will be tackling this project soon.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your P500 tricks!
20190105 095332

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Howdy from Idaho!

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has taken the time to detail the mods they've made to their P500's. It was sure nice having all of you blaze the trail. I found this forum last summer while researching my next cat hunting machine. The P500 seemed like the best option except for the lack of a locker in the front but thanks to the forum I learned a locker was coming so I pulled the trigger on a new machine. I've got it put together and have put some hunting miles on it now and I'm pretty happy with it. Pretty much everything I did to it I was able to learn about here. Off the top of my head here's what I've done:

Camso tracks
TorqLocker
Windshield, back window and roof
Manual windshield wiper
Heater/defrost
4500# Winch
Removed seat belts and hump
LED pod lights to the sides
Snap--in rubber sheet under/behind seats
Dog box with lots of top storage

I chose not to install power steering because I felt that it just wouldn't be able to cope with the tracks and would fail. It steers surprisingly easily as long as you're moving at least a little.

Now that it's past the trial period and I know I'll be keeping it I'll be installing an 8 gallon auxiliary fuel cell. The 5 gallon factory tank doesn't keep those tracks turning for long! The fuel cell will sit on top of the dog box and be tapped into the factory tank so when I start running low I can just open a valve and let it gravity feed into the tank. I haven't been able to find anything on the forum to help me with this project but I guess it's probably not really an issue unless you're running tracks. I've got most of the parts and pieces gathered so will be tackling this project soon.

Thanks again to everyone for sharing your P500 tricks!View attachment 103329
Good looking rig

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Welcome. 2nd the future videos. Awesome work. If the steering is not too difficult now without power steering, guessing a ps unit could handle it, based on my EZ steer used heavily in thick mud/ruts with 27 inch tires. Its been working fine going on 2 years now.

N-IdahoP500

N-IdahoP500

Aug 24, 2018
Post Falls, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Your dog box obviously fills up your rear rack. I have a front rack design if you are interested. I also made a storage bin under the hood for $3 and a bin under the seat for $4. I'll share some pics and info if you are interested.

In Post Falls

IdBuckshot

IdBuckshot

Aug 28, 2018
Northern Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Looks awesome! What is your top speed?

Where are you located in Idaho?
It tops out when the machine's speedo says about 35 mph, which the GPS says is about 20 with the track gear reduction. So your average golf cart can probably take me but I think I would give a kid on a Hot Wheels a run for his money.

I'm located between Sandpoint and Bonners Ferry.

IdBuckshot

IdBuckshot

Aug 28, 2018
Northern Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Your dog box obviously fills up your rear rack. I have a front rack design if you are interested. I also made a storage bin under the hood for $3 and a bin under the seat for $4. I'll share some pics and info if you are interested.

In Post Falls
Yeah, it sure does. But there's a top compartment that's about 6" deep so that holds a lot. I thought about some underhood storage but having to remove the windshield to get to it seems like a hassle and my heater takes up quite a bit of space there. I'd be really interested in seeing your front rack and under seat storage though.

IdBuckshot

IdBuckshot

Aug 28, 2018
Northern Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Welcome. 2nd the future videos. Awesome work. If the steering is not too difficult now without power steering, guessing a ps unit could handle it, based on my EZ steer used heavily in thick mud/ruts with 27 inch tires. Its been working fine going on 2 years now.
Ok, I just posted a video of the machine in the Photos and Videos forum. Probably not the most exciting thing to watch!

Reactions: DaddyDubbs and BWAF
DaddyDubbs

DaddyDubbs

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2016
Lee County Alabama, from Southern Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
It tops out when the machine's speedo says about 35 mph, which the GPS says is about 20 with the track gear reduction. So your average golf cart can probably take me but I think I would give a kid on a Hot Wheels a run for his money.

I'm located between Sandpoint and Bonners Ferry.
On dry ground an average golf cart might take you but in snow you win. Besides, getting out and back is more important than speed.

N-IdahoP500

N-IdahoP500

Aug 24, 2018
Post Falls, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, it sure does. But there's a top compartment that's about 6" deep so that holds a lot. I thought about some underhood storage but having to remove the windshield to get to it seems like a hassle and my heater takes up quite a bit of space there. I'd be really interested in seeing your front rack and under seat storage though.

I wouldn't trail ride with large loads on the rack because they will start to obstruct your view. You can see how much the view changes between my son's young buck and my old buck. For me it is a place to put an animal after I harvest. It allows me to fill up all the rest of my storage in the rear and still have room for a deer or elk quarters. I stood on the front rack and pulled my son's buck up. I would guess that came out to about 325lbs., and it handled it without a problem. As a hound hunter, I think it would work great for a cat.

I mounted it on an angle on purpose. I didn't want the front bar of the rack to obstruct my view during typical driving. It doesn't at all! I don't even notice it, and the front bar holds a deer great. I threw a few bungee cords on it and hit the trail.

0827181523a HDR 0827181524a HDR 0827181524b HDR 1013181612c 1 1013181614a HDR 2 1117181643d

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!