P500 Winter Rig

N-IdahoP500

N-IdahoP500

Aug 24, 2018
Post Falls, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Couple more in North Idaho. I'm from Post Falls as well. Good seeing some more locals.
I see you bought the factory honda doors. What do you think of them? Do you feel safe trailering the pioneer with a full enclosure? I just added a windshield, hard top, and hard rear window. At this point, I'm undecided on the doors. Thoughts?

IdBuckshot

IdBuckshot

Aug 28, 2018
Northern Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I wouldn't trail ride with large loads on the rack because they will start to obstruct your view. You can see how much the view changes between my son's young buck and my old buck. For me it is a place to put an animal after I harvest. It allows me to fill up all the rest of my storage in the rear and still have room for a deer or elk quarters. I stood on the front rack and pulled my son's buck up. I would guess that came out to about 325lbs., and it handled it without a problem. As a hound hunter, I think it would work great for a cat.

I mounted it on an angle on purpose. I didn't want the front bar of the rack to obstruct my view during typical driving. It doesn't at all! I don't even notice it, and the front bar holds a deer great. I threw a few bungee cords on it and hit the trail.

View attachment 107965 View attachment 107966 View attachment 107967 View attachment 107968 View attachment 107969 View attachment 107970

That's a really slick rack. It would be a handy spot to keep snowshoes too.

I have mixed thoughts on the doors. They're a darn site better than nothing and a lot of days they're fine. But after spending some cold days riding in powder I can see a lot of room for improvement. The powder sifts in and covers everything in the cab and it stays pretty cold in the cab, even with the heater, due to all the big gaps. On days where the temp is a bit higher and the snow is a little heavier there's not nearly as much problem with snow intrusion and it seems plenty warm.

I trailer with the doors on and put a strap from one door, across the windshield to another door to hold them shut and keep them from bowing out so much. Twice I've got where I was going to find the strap came loose and a door was open. Didn't seem to be any damage though.

This summer I'm hoping to build some solid doors that will seal up better.

I did get my 7 gallon auxiliary gas tank installed and plumbed in so I just have to open a valve in the cab to refill the factory tank. That's been handy.

N-IdahoP500

N-IdahoP500

Aug 24, 2018
Post Falls, Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
That's a really slick rack. It would be a handy spot to keep snowshoes too.

I have mixed thoughts on the doors. They're a darn site better than nothing and a lot of days they're fine. But after spending some cold days riding in powder I can see a lot of room for improvement. The powder sifts in and covers everything in the cab and it stays pretty cold in the cab, even with the heater, due to all the big gaps. On days where the temp is a bit higher and the snow is a little heavier there's not nearly as much problem with snow intrusion and it seems plenty warm.

I trailer with the doors on and put a strap from one door, across the windshield to another door to hold them shut and keep them from bowing out so much. Twice I've got where I was going to find the strap came loose and a door was open. Didn't seem to be any damage though.

This summer I'm hoping to build some solid doors that will seal up better.

I did get my 7 gallon auxiliary gas tank installed and plumbed in so I just have to open a valve in the cab to refill the factory tank. That's been handy.

The rack is from Harbor Freight. I bought mine for $30 as an open box return in the clearance section. I think they go on sale for around $50. I used aluminium for the support bars. My plan was to throw it together for the hunting season, then weld up something nice when I had more time. I don't think I will bother, because it seems to work really well. When in the down position, it is fastened to the upright posts with simple spring pins. I mounted it with rubber covered conduit clamps I bought on Amazon. I think I paid around $12 for a dozen. They are the same clamps I used to attach my roof and back screen.

I'd like to know more about your axillary gas tank. Can you post pictures of where you mounted it and how you plumbed it in?

IdBuckshot

IdBuckshot

Aug 28, 2018
Northern Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
The rack is from Harbor Freight. I bought mine for $30 as an open box return in the clearance section. I think they go on sale for around $50. I used aluminium for the support bars. My plan was to throw it together for the hunting season, then weld up something nice when I had more time. I don't think I will bother, because it seems to work really well. When in the down position, it is fastened to the upright posts with simple spring pins. I mounted it with rubber covered conduit clamps I bought on Amazon. I think I paid around $12 for a dozen. They are the same clamps I used to attach my roof and back screen.

I'd like to know more about your axillary gas tank. Can you post pictures of where you mounted it and how you plumbed it in?
I've been meaning to post about the the auxiliary tank installation...just got it done in the the "Accessories and Modifications" section...

MarlinWalker

MarlinWalker

Aug 25, 2018
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
I see you bought the factory honda doors. What do you think of them? Do you feel safe trailering the pioneer with a full enclosure? I just added a windshield, hard top, and hard rear window. At this point, I'm undecided on the doors. Thoughts?

I have the windshield, hardtop and hard rear window as well. I did the Honda doors because of the heater I installed. Heater doesn't do a lot of good except warm your hands if you don't fully enclose.

The doors were spendy, $400, and I wish they sealed better than they do but they are certainly much better than without. Just don't expect a car door seal by any means.

Far as trailering with the doors installed. Instruction manual says don't do it. But I found that if you unzip and roll down the windows inward you can secure them there with the button down strap. With the windows down, the air doesn't get pressured into the cab and push out on the doors. I trailer with the windows down at freeway speeds all the time and they do just fine. I once forgot to roll them down and those doors were ballooned out pretty bad. So long as you roll them down you will be fine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!