2018 PIONEER TAKEOVER - April 20 & 21 - Ride Royal Blue!

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Looking forward to the Takeover! I saw the pics and posts from last year and said, "I'm going next year, I don't know who's going with, but I'm going!". So when the dates were announced I immediately booked a cabin a RRB. CumminsPusher, Question for you: I am going to upgrade my tires and wheels. What would you recommend for tires. For the Takeover, I would love to have some really aggressive deep v-lug/tractor looking tires. But it seems like those would be impractical for most of the riding I do. Lots of really good trails in this area, some gravel roads, but also some deep mud holes mixed in. So, I'm thinking an aggressive deep lug that would handle well in all around conditions. I also have a sport quad that I put Hole Shotz one and really like them. Good square edges, but aggressive but fairly tightly spaced deep lugs also. Related question, I'd like to go up to 29's to gain some clearance and also change the offset to gain an inch on each side. Do you think doing either of those is unwise do to the change in geometry?
Nbomar answered your question pretty fairly. Last year I had the wrong tire for sure. It’s going to be even more soupy there this year. Look for anything with an aggressive pattern and the more space in between lugs the better. Everyone will suggest a specific tire and there are lots of good ones but that’s what I would look for

M

markie

Feb 15, 2016
milton kentucky
Neither one of those modifications change suspension geometry (if that's the geometry you were referring to) they only side effects you'll have with those 2 mods are a little more wheel bearing wear due to the further offset wheels putting a little more stress on bearings..the taller tires will hurt power a little bit but only a 29 won't be extreme..do some research on your tires and try to find one that is light weight but also tough...ITP makes a Blackwater that is super light and 8 play tough and aggressive tread..the down fall with them is they are a harder compound so they aren't superb on hard pack stuff/rocks.. I run a GBC dirt commander .they are among the lighter tires .they are 8 ply and got good bite on pretty much any terrain..I know you specifically asked for a different person but I saw the post and decided to contribute my .02
I also run dirt tamers.Those things will really sling and pull in mud

Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
Cyberjunk

Cyberjunk

Berserker
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2017
Crane Hill Alabama
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 700-4
Rode Stoney Lonesome in the drizzle and rain this past weekend. Hard to beat the stock 700 tires for pulling and slinging mud. That being said this is my second set ( thanks Derek ) cut the side wall in one front tire then a back one on my first set. Bringing spares and a 100 plug pack.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Hard to beat the stock 700 tires for pulling and slinging mud.

The stock p700 tires are really good bang for the buck.
I have a set on the P500.
Worked way better than I expected at the take over last year.
If I win the lottery I will switch to Big Horns but for now the OTR take off's will do.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I won this a few months back in the ROTM contest and I told @Hondasxs and I think @IdahoPioneer had something to do with it as well that I would do a review but luckily I haven't had to use it but if I do I will be glad I have it.

advertisement
riverratcadillac

riverratcadillac

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2017
lafollette tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 71529 View attachment 71530 View attachment 71531 View attachment 71532 View attachment 71533 View attachment 71534 I won this a few months back in the ROTM contest and I told @Hondasxs and I think @IdahoPioneer had something to do with it as well that I would do a review but luckily I haven't had to use it but if I do I will be glad I have it.
Nice kit i have everything except the tire spoons looks like i need to add them thanks for the idea

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Neither one of those modifications change suspension geometry (if that's the geometry you were referring to) they only side effects you'll have with those 2 mods are a little more wheel bearing wear due to the further offset wheels putting a little more stress on bearings..the taller tires will hurt power a little bit but only a 29 won't be extreme..do some research on your tires and try to find one that is light weight but also tough...ITP makes a Blackwater that is super light and 8 play tough and aggressive tread..the down fall with them is they are a harder compound so they aren't superb on hard pack stuff/rocks.. I run a GBC dirt commander .they are among the lighter tires .they are 8 ply and got good bite on pretty much any terrain..I know you specifically asked for a different person but I saw the post and decided to contribute my .02
Tmitch09, thank so for the info. Yes, I was referring to the geometry of the suspension. I know 29 are only an inch taller, but it would result in an ever so slight angle change on drive axels and suspension arms isn't why I asked. I guess what I should have asked also is, Can I go with 29's without any lift or mods to the a arms and have no rubbing when turning?

BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
CP doesn't know. His tires are usually in the air or not spinning due to mechanical damage.

On top of others mentioned the pit bull growlers or rockers would be great for what you're after.

Do you have a lift? 29s won't clear without one.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

That was my next question, can I go to 29's with stock suspension and not have any rubbing when turning? You answered that, so thank you. What if I do offset out an inch, will they clear then? Same question, what if I only go to 28's

Reactions: BWAF
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CP doesn't know. His tires are usually in the air or not spinning due to mechanical damage.

On top of others mentioned the pit bull growlers or rockers would be great for what you're after.

Do you have a lift? 29s won't clear without one.

Lol. For maybe 5 of the 100+ hours spent riding in Tennessee during Takeover week maybe.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That was my next question, can I go to 29's with stock suspension and not have any rubbing when turning? You answered that, so thank you. What if I do offset out an inch, will they clear then? Same question, what if I only go to 28's
I run 28s on an otherwise stock. P1k. With no trouble. The consensus seems to be that is the cutoff for stock machines. I dunno if spacers will help. @ohanacreek or @Ragnar406 might know

RB3offroad

RB3offroad

Vendor
Nov 2, 2017
Tempe, AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I run 28s on an otherwise stock. P1k. With no trouble. The consensus seems to be that is the cutoff for stock machines. I dunno if spacers will help. @ohanacreek or @Ragnar406 might know

A lot of guys run with 1" Spacers on this

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
BrophyCreek

BrophyCreek

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 8, 2016
New Richmond, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A lot of guys run with 1" Spacers on this
Ok, I wasn't going to run spacers, just get wheels with +1 offset vs stock. So with spacers or an inch offset I wonder if 29s would work?? I was also thinking of swapping out for Fox shocks, I think those are Bolt on but may add a little height/clearance for the tires

Reactions: BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

You MIGHT get a 28.5” tire with no Forward arched a-arms. Spacers won’t really help fit larger tires they will still rub at lock under compression. Forward offset arms are required for a true 30”

advertisement