2022 gear ratio update info?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I know someone posted what the difference was from the previous years vs 22 and I think I remember a list of part numbers that were different, but for the life of me I can't find the post/thread. Can sombody point me in the right direction or explain to me what the difference is and what I'm able to accomplish with the new parts?

TIA

H

HondaTech

Looking at the ratios from Honda in the service manual, nothing has changed or atleast according to the manual.

Even the tooth count of every gear are the same. I searched the parts fiche and all the internal (6spd) transmission parts have the same tooth counts, with new #'s for 2022. The sub transmission also has new #'s but the tooth count isn't listed, except for the reverse and final gears. They also match '19-'21 tooth counts.

I'm not sure what changed as far as the gears go for Honda to change parts numbers. It could be the something like the front knuckle part numbers, which is found out changed because their now made in China.

Reactions: Smittyp
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Looking at the ratios from Honda in the service manual, nothing has changed or atleast according to the manual.

Even the tooth count of every gear are the same. I searched the parts fiche and all the internal (6spd) transmission parts have the same tooth counts, with new #'s for 2022. The sub transmission also has new #'s but the tooth count isn't listed, except for the reverse and final gears. They also match '19-'21 tooth counts.

I'm not sure what changed as far as the gears go for Honda to change parts numbers. It could be the something like the front knuckle part numbers, which is found out changed because their now made in China.

Weird, I swear I read that sombody here was swapping trans/subtrans gears to change a ratio. Are the Pioneer parts what im thinking of? I'm pretty sure you even replied to the post asking what the deal was. Maybe I'm delusional...

Figures..... I need a LF knuckle. The insert came out with my TRE so I'm assuming the hole is stretched and it's junk.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Weird, I swear I read that sombody here was swapping trans/subtrans gears to change a ratio. Are the Pioneer parts what im thinking of? I'm pretty sure you even replied to the post asking what the deal was. Maybe I'm delusional...

I saw that too and was hoping the conversation would continue long enough for me to understand what the changes might mean for me. But it died before concrete info got posted. There's no way I could remember where that may have been.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL

@SLOWPOKE693 I believe this is the thread you are talking about....he is discussing doing some gearing swaps between years and a pioneer, I think!)

H

HondaTech

Figures..... I need a LF knuckle. The insert came out with my TRE so I'm assuming the hole is stretched and it's junk.

You can still get the old number, its only the updated numbers that has changed.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Sorry I didn't see your thread sooner Slowpoke, definitely put the 2022 sub transmission high gears in I like mine.
Anybody running 2 inches or larger tires will enjoy the lower high gears 👍 this mod will not get any traction until you or Don or Joey gives there approval.
Richard/SxS poo pooed my post when I first put the lower reverse in saying the change was so small it wouldn't be worth it it's the same deal with the lower high gear.

It's definitely better but no game changer.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV

Sixth gear is higher by approximately same amount the high range is lower in the 2022 Pioneers

First through fifth is the same as the 16 through 21

Buy the 2022 Talon sub transmission parts as the small gear is made in one piece the Pioneer is a two piece gear.

H

HondaTech

Sixth gear is higher by approximately same amount the high range is lower in the 2022 Pioneers

First through fifth is the same as the 16 through 21

Buy the 2022 Talon sub transmission parts as the small gear is made in one piece the Pioneer is a two piece gear.

@SLOWPOKE693 has a Talon, he was under the impression 2022 Talon had changed sub trans ratios but it appears they didnt

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
@SLOWPOKE693 has a Talon, he was under the impression 2022 Talon had changed sub trans ratios but it appears they didnt
When I checked I thought both the Talon and the Pioneer got a lower high range gear in the sub transmission in 2022 the smaller of the gear of the gear set set in the Talon is a one piece gear instead of the Pioneers two

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Could the new numbers relate to the gears being hardened, perhaps?
Doubt that.

A part number change on what appears to be the exact part is usually a manufacturer change.
Honda outsources many of these parts and the scamdimic took many suppliers out of the game.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I pulled my sub trans apart last night and figured out what is what in there so I can do some "stuff" to it for racing purposes. I only run in high gear and run 27" tall tires so I don't think lowering the high gear ratio will help me out any.

20221229 224337

I am going to be calling these guys while I have the motor and subtrans apart. I ordered the sub-trans input shaft the other day and think i might send the subtrans and transmission bits to them when im done doing "stuff" to it for micro polishing....

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Sorry I didn't see your thread sooner Slowpoke, definitely put the 2022 sub transmission high gears in I like mine.
Anybody running 2 inches or larger tires will enjoy the lower high gears 👍 this mod will not get any traction until you or Don or Joey gives there approval.
Richard/SxS poo pooed my post when I first put the lower reverse in saying the change was so small it wouldn't be worth it it's the same deal with the lower high gear.

It's definitely better but no game changer.

How much lower percentage wise (or tooth count) is the 2022 subtrans ratio? Maybe it might help with acceleration off corners and such. I need to think about this some....

H

HondaTech

I pulled my sub trans apart last night and figured out what is what in there so I can do some "stuff" to it for racing purposes. I only run in high gear and run 27" tall tires so I don't think lowering the high gear ratio will help me out any.

View attachment 368273

I am going to be calling these guys while I have the motor and subtrans apart. I ordered the sub-trans input shaft the other day and think i might send the subtrans and transmission bits to them when im done doing "stuff" to it for micro polishing....

We did cryoheat to ours and still broke the mainshaft in the same spot. 🤷🏻‍♂️

H

HondaTech

How much lower percentage wise (or tooth count) is the 2022 subtrans ratio? Maybe it might help with acceleration off corners and such. I need to think about this some....

I think he might be referring to Pioneer only, the Talon ratios show to all be the same. Even the 2 large final gears in the sub trans are the same teeth count.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
We did cryoheat to ours and still broke the mainshaft in the same spot. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Greg told me the same thing. The only other option is to to press a piece of cromo tubing into the shaft and then tig welding the ends to secure it. I'm going to let my machinist buddy play with the stock one and see what he can come up with.

Reactions: CID
H

HondaTech

Greg told me the same thing. The only other option is to to press a piece of cromo tubing into the shaft and then tig welding the ends to secure it. I'm going to let my machinist buddy play with the stock one and see what he can come up with.

We were worried that the oil holes in the shaft would be covered up doing that. We guessed they were just drains, since there's no pump to pressure them

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
We were worried that the oil holes in the shaft would be covered up doing that. We guessed they were just drains, since there's no pump to pressure them

My redneck intuition says there is a pump on the transmission side that sends the subtrans oil through the input shaft and into the oil passages of the case. If there wasn't, why would the input shaft be hollow and why would there be oil passages in the case. I believe those small holes in the shaft are used to lubricate the gears on the input shaft that don't necessarily spin at the same speed depending on what gear the selector is in. Can't those just be redrilled once the cromo tube is pressed in? I'll know more later tonight when I disassemble the entire subtrans so I can have my buddy do "stuff" to the internals before I get it all micro polished.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think he might be referring to Pioneer only, the Talon ratios show to all be the same. Even the 2 large final gears in the sub trans are the same teeth count.

As far as that all goes, I'm so confused at this point that I have no intention of swapping anything until I can get an actual ratio number for this new lower high gear and higher 6th gear that I'm not even sure exists. Lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!