P1000 ALL Pioneer 1k owners cast your poll vote!! ***CLUTCH FAILURE TRACKING***

Had clutch failure? Cast vote for only vehicles you own!

• 1000-5 YES

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • 1000-5 NO

Votes: 93 70.5%
  • 1000-3 YES

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 1000-3 NO

Votes: 28 21.2%

• Total voters
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just talked to my Honda dealer which is the #1 selling Honda dealer by volume. He told me they had done 42 clutch repairs but they have sold over 2,000 units. He said the main cause is due to electrical issues low voltage not letting the shift motor not shift hard enough and not letting the sift solenoids fully move. All this is caused by low voltage after owners install to many accessories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That would sure be a bulls*** statement from the dealer with many of us here. A separated battery takes nothing from stock battery. That's why I've been running that system for years. I think a few that have separated battery aren't even aware of this

Reactions: joeymt33
B

Boomboom907

Apr 27, 2016
Washington
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
That would sure be a bulls*** statement from the dealer with many of us here. A separated battery takes nothing from stock battery. That's why I've been running that system for years. I think a few that have separated battery aren't even aware of this

My clutches failed and I didn't even have a light bar installed. All I had hooked up was a damn bilge blower that I tried to use for a heater, before I knew my rig was hot as sin.

I know for a fact Honda wouldn't send out all these units with a design that 100% did not work. The stator is fine.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does anyone think the issue has been addressed by Honda for the 2017 models? I'm a Honda fan from way back because anything Honda has always been dependable, and unless you flat out trash it, they have always outlasted everything else. I have to sell a toy before I can buy a toy so I have time to decide between a 2016 or 2017. I know that the problem isn't wide spread, but has happened enough that I'm gun shy. I sure would hate to spend that kind of cash on a rig that I would have to worry about all the time. My 420 Rancher and VTX1800 T3 are flawless and live up to the Honda name I've grown to depend on and trust.
There are people here that have inside Intel that say Honda is working the issue and will have a fix. Honestly... and JMO, if are concerned... wait. Also, call the Honda Tech line and question them about it. Tell them how you feel about you other machines. Tell them you really want a Honda that's just as reliable as your other ones. See what they.

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have been stuck winching and spinning 29.5 outlaw 2s and had no problem. I do have a dual battery setup with the Tru isolator. I have no accessories hooked to the main battery and there is nothing stock that I have found stock that the stator couldn't keep up.

As far as Brook Haven honda I know they are a powerhouse dealer. I received a survey after buying with them but not buying all the getting what they want.

Reactions: AKRider
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
Just telling everyone what Brookhaven Honda told me about to much drain on batteries due to lots of lights, radio etc he never mention the duel battery setup. I'm not knocking the the way way to run 2 batteries. When I get a winch I will run a 2nd battery same as everyone else it's the only way to do it. I did state in my opinion that on a cold day in snow using a plow that the pioneer could not keep up with charging 2 batteries plowing for a long period of time. We don't have snow. We only use our winches for winching out of mud holes etc. Every dealer that I have talked to has replaced clutches some more than others all say something different about the cause. Brookhaven Honda is the first that say it's due to low battery voltage but never said nothing about the 2nd battery hook up. Was just passing on what info that I heard from a large selling dealer.

J

JTW

Just telling everyone what Brookhaven Honda told me about to much drain on batteries due to lots of lights, radio etc he never mention the duel battery setup. I'm not knocking the the way way to run 2 batteries. When I get a winch I will run a 2nd battery same as everyone else it's the only way to do it. I did state in my opinion that on a cold day in snow using a plow that the pioneer could not keep up with charging 2 batteries plowing for a long period of time. We don't have snow. We only use our winches for winching out of mud holes etc. Every dealer that I have talked to has replaced clutches some more than others all say something different about the cause. Brookhaven Honda is the first that say it's due to low battery voltage but never said nothing about the 2nd battery hook up. Was just passing on what info that I heard from a large selling dealer.

WHY DO YOU HATE TWO BATTERIES?????

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can definitely see low battery voltage being an issue, but never on a dual setup with the isolator. I understand that the dealer didn't cover that part. I think the point people are trying to make is that the main battery is always being charged, whereas the isolator ensures that all the accessories tied to the second battery will never allow the main battery to fail. As long as the main battery is being supplied with the current required from the stator, there will always be enough voltage to run the machine per engineering specs.

Reactions: Ridem32
Ridem32

Ridem32

Apr 28, 2016
Terry
I'm sure with a couple of thousands units sold from one dealer that a lot of customers added lights, blowers, radios etc and never added a second battery so maybe the charging system could not keep up which caused clutch issues according to Brookhaven Honda. We have all read on this forum about clutch problems but none of us know for sure why some units burn up clutches Honda will not say when I heard today from a dealer that said low battery voltage causes clutch problems I thought I would pass it on to this forum. Just thought that some might want to hear what we have never heard before. But in my opinion I think a machine the caliber of a pioneer 1000 that it should have full size battery from the factory with lots more cold cranking amps and lots more reserve I guess it's fair to say that it's best not to post on here what dealers say about the clutch problems

Reactions: Plumber32
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One other thing that many have mentioned as a cause for shifting issues and possible clutch failure is bad grounds. There's a lot of merit to this. With faulty grounds you will have issues with current flow. Less current equals less voltage.

I've seen many on here and on FB that have not run their winch ground to the engine block. I would think this could cause a lot of issues with an accessory that draws a lot of current.

Think about how you were taught to jump a battery. The negative lead on the side you are jumping should always go to the engine block. So, if you have a bad ground this could cause many issues.

Reactions: ghost
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm sure with a couple of thousands units sold from one dealer that a lot of customers added lights, blowers, radios etc and never added a second battery so maybe the charging system could not keep up which caused clutch issues according to Brookhaven Honda. We have all read on this forum about clutch problems but none of us know for sure why some units burn up clutches Honda will not say when I heard today from a dealer that said low battery voltage causes clutch problems I thought I would pass it on to this forum. Just thought that some might want to hear what we have never heard before. But in my opinion I think a machine the caliber of a pioneer 1000 that it should have full size battery from the factory with lots more cold cranking amps and lots more reserve I guess it's fair to say that it's best not to post on here what dealers say about the clutch problems

Not at all. Please do keep posting this information. I can't guarantee that someone at Honda is reading this, but they aren't stupid. They are paying attention.

advertisement
1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
AKRider, how can an engine ground be better than a battery ground?The engine ground is only as good as the ground cable from the battery and connection. Corrosion or bad connections mean a bad engine ground. Not trying to be arguementive, just wanting your perspective.

I have experienced many electronics problems on my Dart due to grounds. I do not like chassis grounds. Anything that requires many amps like ignition boxes and fuel pumps are grounded directly to the battery. My ignition's main power is directly connected to the battery and everything else runs of relays with the feeds from the battery.

IMO a ground buss is ok provided the ground cable attached to it is large enough.

Reactions: JTW and ghost
AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm not going to go into electron theory, but take a look at that first cable that is attached to the negative side of your battery. Where does it go? The negative side of your battery is not ground. The chassis is.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If low voltage is a problem then Honda shot themselves in the foot by offering a factory installed winch without a second battery setup!
Maybe, but there is no such thing as a factory installed winch.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bit my lip reading all of this, telling myself not to comment. I should have listened to myself and stayed out of this one. The lack of understanding about electricity and current flow amazes me, and when someone tries to explain it they just invite more ridiculous comments. I'm not a freaking rocket scientist, but there are some people here that shouldn't be allowed to use a cigarette lighter accessory plug.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

There is probably about the same percent of clutches as bad batteries. I know on my arctic cat atv the battery was junk from the factory. It would start , but had a bad cell. Ive had bad batteries on work vehicles that were new. Ive probably replaced 5 batteries under warranty the last 8 yrs. Cars or atvs.

AKRider

AKRider

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 31, 2016
Palmer, Alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There is probably about the same percent of clutches as bad batteries. I know on my arctic cat atv the battery was junk from the factory. It would start , but had a bad cell. Ive had bad batteries on work vehicles that were new. Ive probably replaced 5 batteries under warranty the last 8 yrs. Cars or atvs.
I replace the battery in my Rancher almost every two years. Why? Because it is mostly used for plowing snow, with the winch being my lift for the plow. I do not have a second battery in it. Winching draws more current than the stator can handle, thus putting a tremendous draw on the battery. I keep all three of my machines on trickle chargers year round. It doesn't matter. The more you punish a battery the quicker it will fail.

My 1989 F250 7.3L diesel had two batteries. I replaced them about every four years. Starting that beast could cause the lights in a nuclear power plant to dim... lol

1BadDart

1BadDart

Oct 21, 2016
W. KY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I should've stated " connected directly to the battery" instead of "grounded directly to the battery". That was an error on my part.

Deer-hunter

Deer-hunter

Feb 19, 2016
Effie,Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I was

not doubting the low voltage. On the dual battery setup that I have I have nothing but a voltmeter connected to the factory battery. And yes I'm sure there are some that have accessories connected to the stock battery and that maybe what is causing some of the problems.

my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
I bit my lip reading all of this, telling myself not to comment. I should have listened to myself and stayed out of this one. The lack of understanding about electricity and current flow amazes me, and when someone tries to explain it they just invite more ridiculous comments. I'm not a freaking rocket scientist, but there are some people here that shouldn't be allowed to use a cigarette lighter accessory plug.
I'm telling you, It's the flux capacitor!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!