P1000 Beefing up A-arm mounts

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Guys I know this has been covered in different peoples build threads, but I'm having a hard time finding and remembering who all has done this. I'm looking for different options and material used to beef up the front upper A-arm mounts. I recently had this done. The shop that did it welded 1/8 inch heavy grade washers to fix the problem. I had one side work it's way loose again and egg shaped the new washer. Not sure where my problem lies...... I had the nuts tight and even double nutted. I don't want to keep going through this! If anyone can post material used or links It would be greatly appreciated. This go round I will use red lock tight!!!!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Guys I know this has been covered in different peoples build threads, but I'm having a hard time finding and remembering who all has done this. I'm looking for different options and material used to beef up the front upper A-arm mounts. I recently had this done. The shop that did it welded 1/8 inch heavy grade washers to fix the problem. I had one side work it's way loose again and egg shaped the new washer. Not sure where my problem lies...... I had the nuts tight and even double nutted. I don't want to keep going through this! If anyone can post material used or links It would be greatly appreciated. This go round I will use red lock tight!!!!
Do you have pics of their repair?
I have some washers being machined right now to hopefully weld in and address this issue.

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Is this only a problem with those people running super ATV arms? I have not had this problem with CATVOS arms but I did add gussets to the mounting locations and double the thickness of the mounting surface instead of using a washer.

5bf01eef03d03cf6c91280a995e3c0ae

1b2dd17ec7b9f554115b26bb79d96391

This bracket ties the front upper mount with the bumper mount. And also has an extra flange coming off the bottom to weld to the tube.
Fcfad4a60353d61000e370b43275b0c0

001acdc137846e8643ea3022a4b83e8c

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I plated mine with chromoly and upgraded to 12.9 bolts and lock nuts. Wore the holes out again (1 ride) and machined washers to capture the heads of the bolts and welded in. Trashed the bushings after doing that (1 ride). So next I'm cutting the A arms and putting in heims and tabs for separate bolts like the bottom a arms. Red locktight and new locknuts and still came loose. The new UHMW SATV bushings may help as they should give a little more but I have not tried those.

Resized 20180909 133213

Resized 20180909 133239

Last edited:
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Is this only a problem with those people running super ATV arms? I have not had this problem with CATVOS arms but I did add gussets to the mounting locations and double the thickness of the mounting surface instead of using a washer.

View attachment 105408

View attachment 105409

This bracket ties the front upper mount with the bumper mount. And also has an extra flange coming off the bottom to weld to the tube.
View attachment 105410

View attachment 105411
That's a good question. From what I recall I've only seen this on SATV arms. Thanks for posting your fix!

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I plated mine with chromoly and upgraded to 12.9 bolts and lock nuts. Wore the holes out again (1 ride) and machined washers to capture the heads of the bolts and welded in. Trashed the bushings after doing that (1 ride). So next I'm cutting the A arms and putting in heims and tabs for separate bolts like the bottom a arms. Red locktight and new locknuts and still came loose. The new UHMW SATV bushings may help as they should give a little more but I have not tried those.

View attachment 105414

View attachment 105415
Well hell after what you've done and still having issues that's more than discouraging. I know you're tire/wheel setup is heavier than mine but still....
I know I have the old style bushings, so I'm going to reach out to SATV and explain what's going on and see what there response is.
The guy that fixed mine I would think is pretty knowledgeable, he builds/repairs race sxs cages. He was surprised to hear about this issue.
I'll report back.......

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Well hell after what you've done and still having issues that's more than discouraging. I know you're tire/wheel setup is heavier than mine but still....
I know I have the old style bushings, so I'm going to reach out to SATV and explain what's going on and see what there response is.
The guy that fixed mine I would think is pretty knowledgeable, he builds/repairs race sxs cages. He was surprised to hear about this issue.
I'll report back.......
I might still try the new bushings first. I already have heims and bungs and know that will fix it permanently but I will probably rip the whole frame off if I do haha.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Sounds like those A arms are causing me problems than I would care about dealing with.

Kinda screwed that sentence up ....... lol. I meant to say, sounds like those A arms would be causing me problems that I would not want to deal with.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rambo and JTW
advertisement
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
We do ride pretty rough sometimes lol. Jumping, hitting basketball size rocks at 30, etc...

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
So is it only the upper mounts with this issue? I know Super ATV has a lower mount support/frame stiffener.
The uppers can elongate the holes with the satv arms. Both upper and lower fronts can be ripped off the frame. I braced for both before i had a problem. The bolt hole problem might be a lot better with the new bushings as the stock arm rubber bushings do not have a problem. Mine looked to be delrin and are hard bushings.

Reactions: Rambo
Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So is it only the upper mounts with this issue? I know Super ATV has a lower mount support/frame stiffener.
I've only had and seen issues on the upper mounts. I like my 30s but at this point wish I would have went 28s with stock arms. When I first had this problem I had a much heavier tire. Thought this was my main problem. Before I had it fixed I dropped down to a much lighter setup. Almost 13 lbs. lighter....

J

JTW

I've only had and seen issues on the upper mounts. I like my 30s but at this point wish I would have went 28s with stock arms. When I first had this problem I had a much heavier tire. Thought this was my main problem. Before I had it fixed I dropped down to a much lighter setup. Almost 13 lbs. lighter....
Well, the mother f***er SHOULD be able to handle it! I’m getting tired of all the little bulls*** stuff.. no, don’t “over” build your sxs Honda just do the bare minimum so everybody has to spend time and money fixing s*** that should have been right to begin with. While the “product improvements” are great and all... how about the 50 other little things we’ve all done to make them more trail worthy.

D

DDDonkey

Interesting, as right now I was leaning toward the Super ATV a-arm over the C-fab, but I may need to think a little more on this.

Reactions: ohanacreek
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!